Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Using tutorials as a web designer?

Featured Replies

Looking at things like http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/tutorials/90-new-and-high-quality-photoshop-web-layout-tutorials/ I realize that designs of that caliber are just out of my reach yet using those tutorials i could produce a higher level of quality.

 

So what do i do at a cross road like this? What does a young designer such as myself go from here? give up on originality for quality?

If you are a creative designer, then there's no reason why you can't simply use these tutorials for inspiration, then put your own spin on them.

 

Everyone gets there ideas from somewhere.

 

The best way to get better is to simply do more designs in my opinion.

 

Perhaps complete some of the tutorials, then use the skills you learn in your own designs.

Yeah I know that feeling, then again standing on the shoulders of giants and all that, nothing wrong with learning the techniques that way and gradually putting your own spin on them until you end up with completely your own style

  • Author

Yeah I know that feeling, then again standing on the shoulders of giants and all that, nothing wrong with learning the techniques that way and gradually putting your own spin on them until you end up with completely your own style

 

My only issue currently with simply cutting up my tutorial design is while applying for jobs as a fresh out of college web dev would that not hurt my cause?

 

I mean it would obviously be functional and all that but just that layout because like you said giants and all. I could go with the much nicer layout that was a tutorial and make it functional or use my current under contstruction portfolio i linked when its complete. Really my big concern is which is going to allow me to be employed by prospective employers better.

 

*edit* i should add if i did use the tutorial layout i would obviously clean it up to be usuable (real font and better proportions)

My only issue currently with simply cutting up my tutorial design is while applying for jobs as a fresh out of college web dev would that not hurt my cause?

I see what you mean, I'm sure you're right that a direct copy isn't a good idea, but taking elements from a lot of them to come up with something unique isn't that much difference to what everyone's doing when they design sites. I'll often use as my starting point another site or a template or a few templates which I think work well and try and work out what I like/ don't like about them. The end results is usually totally unrecogniseable but the initial layouts help to kick off the process.

  • Author

I see what you mean, I'm sure you're right that a direct copy isn't a good idea, but taking elements from a lot of them to come up with something unique isn't that much difference to what everyone's doing when they design sites. I'll often use as my starting point another site or a template or a few templates which I think work well and try and work out what I like/ don't like about them. The end results is usually totally unrecogniseable but the initial layouts help to kick off the process.

 

Ya i see what you mean. I actually might use that system for the photography site i am about to make up. Just food for thought how do you feel about the http://www.bclouatre.com/newport/index.php.

 

Its not complete yet and i still have to move some things around for better viewability + add stuff. But overall is it half decent?

Hey, sorry getting a page not found...

Hi,

 

I've got a subscription to Lynda.comits a fantastic resource for beginners and experienced designers

 

I know you use it so may be a silly question. :wacko:

 

Would you say its worth subscribing? Only ask as it could be like when you bought a book and its not as good as you thought it would be. Will you keep the subscrition?

 

Cheers

I know you use it so may be a silly question. :wacko:

 

Would you say its worth subscribing? Only ask as it could be like when you bought a book and its not as good as you thought it would be. Will you keep the subscrition?

 

Cheers

 

 

Hi,

 

Or you could try Nettuts and Blip.tv for tutorials.

 

Dan.

From memory Lynda is stupidly expensive...

 

Get nettuts / psdtuts... When you get signup to one you get the whole range of tuts things in there networks....

 

The link is in my signature and I genuinely would say it is worth signing up for....

 

Its $9 a month which is considerably cheaper than lynda from memory and you also get resources that can be used in commercial projects with this too.

YamaDan and Paul Millar

 

Cheers guys ill give them a look. Let you know how i got on :D

 

Torrix

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.