October 20, 200817 yr The phrase "We ain't seen nothing yet" springs to mind. I think that in say 10 years time we'll see it as a more regulated place with big business owning even biger networks of sites than they do today. Sending of email will be on a pay-per-email-sent in a similar manner as phone calls are charged today to deter spammers. Over time the number of sites will probably diminish but the volume of pages will probably rise. Greater tie-in between traditional media (radio and TV), more of it will become 100% net based, and you'd receive TV, radio and Phone calls over the internet - devices would simply be plugged into your phone socket/PC. Ever the infamous internet fridge could become popular, I'd say that big supermarkets will be giving away free fridge/freezers with automatic reordering if you sign up for their service. Search engines will have tweaked their results to be more relevant results, and weeding out the crap!
October 20, 200817 yr Not worth speculating past the widest user base will still be using a half-decade old browser meaning designers are peed off.
October 20, 200817 yr Microsoft's next OS will be internet based... We are already starting to see fibre into the home (and i mean real fibre not virgin media cable).
October 20, 200817 yr In next 10 years, Internet will be able to influence more into the life of the people, and as I can see, there wont be any software on your computer... everything will be hosted on a website (like Google documents)...
October 20, 200817 yr Ever the infamous internet fridge could become popular, I'd say that big supermarkets will be giving away free fridge/freezers with automatic reordering if you sign up for their service. LOL - I've been waiting for those fridges for years! To answer the question I agree that desktop computers will become nothing more than internet gateways. Every-day computer users (not professionals who need hard-core apps) will only need to use 'in-the-cloud' applications. As bandwidth ever increases so will the ability to enjoy massively multimedia experiences online. Eventually media companies will pump all their services (phone, TV, etc) down the Internet - meaning no TV arial, no Sky dish - just an internet connection (once they've figured out a way to put fibre into every home cost effectively).
October 20, 200817 yr I agree, almost everything will be web based. Even photoshop and 3d studio max and everything you save will be stock. As we have seen in the last few years where we have massive amounts of storage space the next move is computing power. We will all be out of work because some indians in a sweatshop will be designing/developing all the sites for £1 a week. Google will be making online only tv shows rivaling bbc, nbc, hbo etc. they will also have a google store which will be bigger than itunes as well as a google player maybe built in as standard for your tv which is downloading data from satalites but requesting info via wifi (see next opinion). All the telephone lines will be in the process of being dismantled, and replaced with either a new superfast wifi or mobile network. erm thats all...
October 20, 200817 yr In next 10 years, Internet will be able to influence more into the life of the people, and as I can see, there wont be any software on your computer... everything will be hosted on a website (like Google documents)... Good one - that will go a long way to reducing piracy. Adobe products by subscription only!
October 20, 200817 yr I see things moving to more mobile embedded systems; like the iPhone and Android G1 phone, especially the netbooks that have gained popularity over the last year. I also see more computing done server side than client side as networks become faster and faster. Imagine running Crysis on a single core 555 Mhz cpu embedded in your cell phone at 60 frames per second. All the calculations for physics and graphics and input will be done server side at light speed and it will be displayed on the phone. That's how I see things anyways.
October 20, 200817 yr ahh No IE...that would be good People will be still asking how to center sites in Css though
October 20, 200817 yr It depends how far into the future you want to go... You have increased connectivity (like the fridges and cloud computing as mentioned) Then there is everything becoming 3D and eventually holographic... Finally, Prof. Kevin Warwick will manage to invent a chip which connects into the optical and motor system of your brain and the internet will become nothing more than an additional memory... it'll all be done by thought and visualisations layered over the top of normal vision. By this time semantic and VALID mark-up will be imperative and no one but qualified, verified internet coders will be allowed to put code on the interweb otherwise people's brains would be frying all over the place!!!
October 20, 200817 yr I think the internet is about due its first round of nostalgia: a return to early browsers and operating systems (Win 98? Mac OS 9), Netscape vs MSIE, table layouts, scrolling marquees, animated gifs on every page, and a nod back to the good old days of devil may care design. Standards and accessibility will actually decline, and everyone will start wearing flares. Again.
October 20, 200817 yr Author I think the internet is about due its first round of nostalgia: a return to early browsers and operating systems (Win 98? Mac OS 9), Netscape vs MSIE, table layouts, scrolling marquees, animated gifs on every page, and a nod back to the good old days of devil may care design. Standards and accessibility will actually decline, and everyone will start wearing flares. Again. Lol, there is plenty of those still about I have to agree with the 'in the cloud' and fridge type life. I really think google will continue to excel and take over everything, they will have their own TV network etc.
October 20, 200817 yr I have to agree that more and more applications will either be web based or hosted remotely. There are already things like this even accounting programs.
Create an account or sign in to comment