Everything posted by Stooly
- CSS for fixed header
-
CSS for fixed header
Thanks Wonky.... um I'm so confused now. I did it earlier, a few times over & over, but it kept pushing everything down. I've since started doing other bits here & there (just after starting this thread), nothing major, just adding / removing menu widgets & redoing the logo.... but I've just looked at it & it's not doing it anymore. I might be back for more help
-
CSS for fixed header
Morning all. I was hoping for a bit of help. So I added the following to the Additional CSS field, in my wordpress theme. .site-header { position: fixed; top: 0; width: 100%; z-index: 2000; } .container { padding-top: 120px; } And it worked, the header is now finally fixed. But the problem I have now is that even though it's fixed on every page, it overlaps everything at the top of each page. Is there a way for it to not do that, or will I like have to make sure there is enough clear space on each page I add?
-
Agency management software
Update us on what you ultimately decided to go with wonky, I'm a little conflicted myself about this. My accountancy firm offers me free use of Pandle, included with their services... and it's great how their quotes get linked to invoices and stuff, but doing web design, I kinda wanted full control of the actually look & feel of the quote. I ultimately just made one up with excel, which I think looks just perfect... but still, obviously not the most efficient option.
- Updating a website - liability
-
Browsers
😁 That did make me giggle out loud! I moved to firefox in 2002... and to chrome not long after & have never even thought about IE again. Some people at work used it & the companys web based databases wouldn't work with it, so I myself forcefully moved everyone to chrome. It was oddly satisfying. I like how chrome syncs so well everywhere... and well my google account is the center of me.
-
First time cloning - WP Clone
You've been so helpful this week fisicx thanks So this was the best way to do this? I was unsure if there was perhaps a better method.
-
Favourite snacks while working?
Nuts & sunflower seeds... I love it! I'd also love to be able to snack on some celebration choccies & pringles, but well I guess that's not the best choice for my health! I don't have any snacks tonight & now I'm hungry 😒
-
First time cloning - WP Clone
So I've recently started working on a site, for the first time in years, so I'm pretty much learning all the ropes again. So I've been working on this for a friend, for a couple of weeks now. But as I wasn't sure at first whether or not I'd even be able to do it, I created it on a spare domain name I had, using a wordpress theme that I've customized. So my question is, I'm planning on how I'm going to make this go live, once it's done. I haven't used one before, but I see that you can in fact use a plugin to move or copy a site. I have found WP Clone. I just wanted to hear of anyone else having used this before... is it straightforward, will all the plugins & settings & content easily copy over? Will I get a message if something doesn't copy over? Oh & is there maybe a way to change all the internal links easily or is it going to be a manual thing?
-
Is anyone online tonight?
fisicx you have been a great help. I had a look at their addons but must have missed this! Thank you.
-
Is anyone online tonight?
Btw I just followed the links in your sig and wow there is some really helpful stuff in there! Thank you
-
Is anyone online tonight?
I'm using a real estate theme, Honeycomb. There are a few things which I'm struggling with, but I managed some headway last night. One of the biggest issues is the search feature, which I didn't notice right away, doesn't include post code search. I did email them last night, eventually. If it's not something I can include I might scream, as I've tried loads & this is the best one, but I don't think I can use the theme without this option.
-
web monkey checking in...
Welcome wonky! I'm new here too, not as much as experience as you though 😃
-
Is anyone online tonight?
I'm trying to stay positive, but I'm struggling to get this wordpress theme to do what I want.... I have so much riding on this. I'm terrified I fail 😱 I'm also pretty tired & the only one awake. Anyone awake out there working tonight?
-
What kind of mobile phone do you use?
Hmmmm well there is a no apple allowed policy in our house I definitely prefer putting Windows into my custom built PCs and Linux soon, onto my new home server. And I am defo android all the way. The phone itself doesn't matter so much, I used Samsung for a long while, but recently upgraded to Huawei P20 Pro and WOW. wow wow wow. Th camera on this thing is amazing. I don't even use my SLR camera now. I bought an adapter for a pound, to mount the phone onto my camera's tripod. It's also really fast responding, I switch between a game & camera constantly.... and the battery life is just mind blowing. I was trying to hold out for Asus' ROG phone though, but they took too long.
-
Designing Comeback
Hi, I'm here hoping to find some like minded people who are friendly & helpful and well, who might keep me sane when things seem impossible So I use to do loads of designing... always my own sites. My ex and I had a large network of sites, we did travel & gadget blogs and a lot of adult sites.... when we split up 7 years ago it all sort of just came to an end. Anyway, I'm just in the process of being made redundant from a crappy job I hate when an ex colleague asked for help with his estate agency's website and well here I am. I'm all legit now, registered a limited company, got an accountant, got my business cards today, I have 2 clients and am seeing a potential 3rd tomorrow. My biggest issue is time. Now that I'm on garden leave I'm hoping to give it a big push, as I have this amazing little 3 year old who takes up my free time I'm doing SEO for one person.... this use to be easy, I'm feeling particularly overwhelmed. My ex was as geeky as me, together we pretty much did anything, we bounced off of one another well, learned a lot of new skills together. My husband now is a bit of a muggle, not very techy, although he's learned a lot from me, in general. But I don't have anyone around me who understands or who I can just ask about why this bloody theme won't do what it's suppose to when I click on this button... I guess someone out there will understand I've had very little sleep.
-
When Registering a Limited Company
Hi everyone. First post. I found this forum a few days ago & it seems like the kind of place I've been looking for. I'm attempting to start up a hosting company. I have found a great hosting reseller, I'm now just trying to figure out how to register a limited company. But even though I've been doing research on it, I have a few questions I was hoping someone here could help with? So first thing, I read that a limited company needs to provide it's registered address on all invoicing. This being said, as it's a working from home business you can use your home address. I don't particularly want to put my home address on all invoices I'm sending out to clients online. I see you can use a PO Box to register your limited company, but a physical address must also be supplied.... does that mean that the PO Box would sufficient on the invoices? I think that i have to put the word limited or ltd at the end of my business' name... does that mean I have to use the limited or ltd on all invoices & even on the website too? If I create hte website & get the reseller hosting & start now... can I then retrospectively use a 'start date' for my business? I hope this makes sense. I'm feeling a little confused with everything I've been reading. I keep getting told to hire an accountant to do my books. My aunt is actually an accountant so I'm going to ask her to help me, to pretty much help myself really as I'd rather do everything myself. But she's on holiday at the moment & I just really want to gather as much information as I can. I'm itching to start... buy the domain name, buy the hosting, but I keep telling myself to hold off until I have everything in order. Thanks so much in advance!