Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

scaz182

Privileged
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by scaz182

  1. Hi People, I understand the basics of SEO with regards to website design i.e. valid semantic mark-up, hierarchical code, keyword placement, unique content etc. but have always been a little hazy as to what a company such as http://www.matchmakermarketing.co.uk/ actually do. You provide them with various keywords you want to be found with and then they...? Any insight would be much appreciated.
  2. I did this with Wordpress a little while back, which isn't too blog like.
  3. Alright people, I wonder whether anyone knows how I can get my form to submit when a file is selected from a file input field, i.e. omitting the need for a submit button? <form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="add_file.php" method="post"> <input type="file" name="upload" /> </form> I've tried using the onChange event but haven’t had any luck. Cheers Rich.
  4. Think you're gonna have to look into programming, I'd recommend PHP and MySQL, if you have zero knowledge of PHP it might be a little while before you achieve what you speak of. Unless of course someone knows of an 'off the shelf' option.
  5. You've forgotten to post a link.
  6. I'd recommend using books to learn, it should help prevent any fragmented learning which can often occur through picking up various online tutorials, and they will always be good for reference.
  7. scaz182 replied to Helen's topic in General Chat
    I think we all know its the king of comedy 'Ricky Gervais' who is the best, not just at comedy, writing, acting, directing but as a person in general, he's 'mazin...promise I'm not obsessed. I used to think Frankie Boyle was pretty good until I went to see Mock the Week being filmed a couple of weeks back, with him it was a case of an infinite amount of typewriters and an infinite amount of monkeys; he said so many rude and crude things that eventually it was inevitable that one of them would be funny, and therefore edited into the show...which took three hours to film! On a side note I'd really recommend Stewart Francis, I've only really noticed him recently but he's got some of the best one liners I've heard!
  8. Yeah OOP was something again I was contemplating on properly studying, I have a pretty through grounding in OO concepts learnt through my degree although I haven't really put the theory into practice on anything other than assignment examples etc. (nothing of my own) Also the PHP book I have (Larry Ullman) reckons that sticking with procedural programming won't necessarily limit my potential with PHP, so I'm unsure if it’s worth it, and as you say it’s still possible to use PEAR through learning and understanding the syntax. I guess it depends how serious I want to get!
  9. mmmm guess I'll give it a go, also I meant to ask, is it easy to use even if you are not familiar with object oriented PHP programming?
  10. Hi people, I just wondered what your opinions were on the PEAR framework? Does anyone here use it (or something similar), why do you use it, is it easy to utilise etc. etc. I'm trying to decide if it's worth me learning it but am not entirely sure of its benefits? Cheers Rich.
  11. I think it's pretty amazing, one of the best sites I've seen in some time, love the control panel!
  12. Think it’s because you have a comma after subject: SELECT refferals, subject, FROM gpt Should be: SELECT refferals, subject FROM gpt Also refferals is spelt 'referrals' which could cause you problems, although it'd be fine if you have misspelt all instances
  13. Yeah you will find many smaller people/companies/institutions want a website but don't actually know why! This means they haven't thought it through and either can't provide or decide on content or ask for changes later down the line because they didnt know what they wanted to begin with, it can be frustrating. As its a free site I'd just let them know your own deadline for this project is getting close, if they can't work with you to meet it then give them what has been done and leave it.
  14. I'd definitely go to Uni...I did, I found you in fact learn incredibly little in the way of practical skills (easily done on your own) but, without being too cliché, almost subconsciously improve soft skill such as time management, communication and team work skills etc. etc. which are all incredibly valuable to employers! And yeah I'd definitely move far away from home!
  15. I think it looks really nice, I like the style throughout although, as JMC says, perhaps a little more subtle colour in the top left could help lift it.
  16. I haven't looked through your code but I'm pretty certain you just need to set the position property of your drop down div to position:absolute; to take it out the flow of the page.
  17. opps just saw this: Surely you shouldn't have a database with a field that can contain multiple values (i.e. large or small and red or blue) you need to normalise it.
  18. Its a little hard to help without knowing the structure of your database but assuming the required data is in just one table surely you can just to this: SELECT * FROM table1 WHERE attribute_1 = 'red' AND attriute_2 = 'large'
  19. Performance wise Chrome really does outdo Firefox by far; although I vaguely remember reading Firefox will be managing its tabs in a similar way to Chrome in a newer version which will hopefully boost performance! I guess another reason I stick with Firefox is due to the plethora of extensions I use.
  20. I think I prefer Chrome (mainly becuase it starts up instantly) but use Firefox, not brave enough to switch I guess!
  21. I can't see what is causing your problems but you haven't escaped the double quotes in the checked="checked" part of this which might be messing things up: <input name="e2terms" value="1"<?php if($disp_2_terms==1) echo " checked="checked""; ?> class="optButton2" type="checkbox" />
  22. Of course you can: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-manage/c-useenforce/c-use/c-sell.htm
  23. Yeah you could do that instead although it will require more work if you change server or the directory. I havn't fully looked through your code but if you are going to use the header(); function you must ensure you have absolutely no content (not even whitespace) being printed out before you redirect so its worth checking if that is causing your error.
  24. I'd just add a redirect (to thanks.html) in place of your thank you message. e.g. Where you have this: else { //otherwise show the successpage ?> <h2 class="thanks">Thanks!</h2> <p>Your message was sent.</p> <?php } ?> Put this instead: else { //otherwise show the successpage // Define the URL. $url = 'http://' . $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] . dirname($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']); // Check for a trailing slash. if ((substr($url, -1) == '/') OR (substr($url, -1) == '\\') ) { $url = substr ($url, 0, -1); // Chop off the slash. } $url .= '/thanks.html'; // redirect header("Location: $url"); exit(); }
  25. They're not bad, although I would like to see them centred.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.