Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Incorporate A Blog In My Website?

Featured Replies

Hi people,

 

I have seen many websites which have blogs incorporated into them so the blog has the same design and branding as the rest of the site.

 

I wondered if anybody knows how to go about something like that? I wanted to include a link on My Website which would go to another page (with the same look and layout) that uses a blog engine.

 

I've heard it can also be good for SEO due to the frequency blogs are updated.

 

Anyone got any advice?

You can install wordpress into a folder on your site(www.mysite.com/blog) and simply have a link to it from your other pages. If you want to have a go at making it look like the rest of your site, here is a good tutorial to start with.

ps don't look at my blog for inspiration (I forgot to back up my files when upgrading to Wordpress 2.5 and lost all of my custom style sheets!)

If you need a hand give me a shout. :)

  • Author

Thanks for the advice. I'm installing wordpress as we speak, then I guess it's a case of creating a theme.

 

I'll let you know how I get on.

 

just out of interest whats the diffrence between wordpress and something as simple as blogger? they do similar things don't they, is it mainly just that wordpress runs with your own database and server and you can fully customise the look?

 

Cheers again

 

Rich

just out of interest whats the diffrence between wordpress and something as simple as blogger? they do similar things don't they, is it mainly just that wordpress runs with your own database and server and you can fully customise the look?

 

That's pretty much it. With a service like Blogger they host the site and database (ok Blogger does have a facility where you can publish pages to your own hosting account but we won't go there for the sake of simplicity!).

 

With a hosted service you can only do what they let you do, if you host on your own you have 100% control over everything.

  • Author

Thanks for you help people.

 

I've installed WordPress and turned my original site into a theme for it. It's worked pretty well, there's still a few things I want to play with but it's up and running now!

 

my blog

You have a slight problem with your site. When I scroll down, only the right hand side of the page scrolls. The left hand side stays still, and I can't read all the content because it cuts off. :(

  • Author

Thanks Elanman!,

 

Yeh, it's designed that way. The left column is supposed to be fixed, the idea is that it only contains a small bit of content and stays within the viewport.

 

I have noticed that on low resolution screens it can cut off slightly. Out of interest what resolution screen did you use to view it?

 

Maybe I need an 'if' statment to change the CSS of that column from fixed to absolute if the left column is over a certain length (don't really know how I would do that tho?)

 

I guess it's not a good idea to design my sites on a 1920*1200 laptop. was probably a mistake to buy this lol. :wacko:

Well, my screen is 1280*1024, but my browser window is 1024*768...

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.