Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Need Opinions/advice

Featured Replies

Hi people,

 

I've recently discovered that I cannot make this design work. I don't know if it's cos I have been staring at this one for the best part of a day and I'm bored with it or if it is truly rubbish.

 

Would be great if people could

 

i) give me their opinion &

ii) give me some advice/tips/help/pointers/motivational comments and the like.

 

Cheers.

 

(design attached)

post-4145-1207092231_thumb.jpg

Hi

 

My tuppence worth.

 

it's basically pretty good.

 

- Reduce the height of the banner

 

- Align the navigation text correctly

 

- Put another 5 - 10 pixels of padding on the right side of centent

 

- Don't overlap the first rounded box with the banner, instead start it below the banner and aligning with top of content

 

- Where text runs over two lines in the package boxes (does anybody really buy these packages? - generic question that) then make the second line start at some indentation as first line

 

- either centre the wrapper or left align it - currently left background is double the width of right background

 

- Use all squared package boxes or all rounded and why the rounded box at bottom of page and not the top. I hate rounded edges ;-)

 

In fact all but last point are to do with basic alignment, overall concept is perfectly reasonable and works for me.

 

good luck :hi:

I think I may have a dirty mind when it comes to that main image. I won't say what it's looking like, but I can't NOT see it now.

 

 

PMSL!!

 

i quite like the design, looks cliterally very chocolatey!

PMSL!!

 

i quite like the design, looks cliterally very chocolatey!

LMAO!!!! Very well done Sir! :hi:

 

 

... These two threads need merging me thinks. Sorry Dizi!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

 

he he

 

It's a nice design, but now that I've had the double entendre pointed out, I can't not see it either.

 

Filthy!

Why oh why did you have to say that! Now I can't not see it, either! :shok:

 

The design is basically very good. So long as the final text is text, and not images, and you fix the banding in the background gradient, you'll be golden.

 

I'd also suggest that you should even up the padding for the headings on the sidebar, as they are a bit tight in the bottom area, but that isn't a big issue. :)

 

I absolutely love the richness of the colours, especially the deep red in the banners.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

 

he he

 

It's a nice design, but now that I've had the double entendre pointed out, I can't not see it either.

 

Filthy!

 

x-rated design...now i see it.

 

chocolate and sex never did sales any harm, just think cadburys flake adverts from years back...

  • Author

HAHA, I had been staring at that image for hours and not once did that crop up in my mind, but now it's all changed. I wish i could say I intended to give people that thought lol.

 

jus thought I let you know it is only a mock design in photoshop (no code at the min so text will be text etc.)

 

Thanks for all your feedback these forum thingys are really useful.

 

I've sent my client a jpg of it with a few amendments that people suggested, I'll post a link to the coded site in a week or so (if your interested).

 

thanks again.

I'm not so sure with having black text on that dark background - you might wan to to try something lighter. Other than that it's looking good.

  • Author

just though I would show people the coded site.

 

It's pretty similar to the original Jpeg I know, but my deadline was creeping up on me and I needed to get a coded version up and running.

 

Would be great if you could throw your opinions at it, obviously the text content isn't correct, but it's just there for demonstrative purposes.

 

here's the link. Cheers

Glad you left it a while to post again, as I've had time to forget the controversy surrounding this site. At a second glance, I would say the only thing that doesn't work for me is the rounded corners on the Gold Package window. Either that or the placement of it (can't make up my mind)

I suppose because all the other elements have square corners, it looks a bit out of place.

Also not sure about the a:link hover colour on your nav - is it just me, or does it not go with the background too well?

There's nowt else wrong with it though.

Overall I really like this design.

 

One thing that has drastically changed since the design phase and which i'm not too sure about is the background colour.

It is a little too *fleshy* I think? Unless we're going back to the whole sex & chocolate thing again lol, I would make it a bit more brown and a bit less orange/pink as at the moment it's putting me off my chocolate! It's just one colour too many what with the chocolate, mocha and strawberry colours.

The background colour either side of the banner image is a different shade of "flesh"/brown than the page background, is this deliberate?

 

If not, it looks like you've saved the background banner in the wrong colour profile.

just though I would show people the coded site.

 

It's pretty similar to the original Jpeg I know, but my deadline was creeping up on me and I needed to get a coded version up and running.

 

Would be great if you could throw your opinions at it, obviously the text content isn't correct, but it's just there for demonstrative purposes.

 

here's the link. Cheers

 

you have IE6 problems the rounded boxes are dropping down the page.

 

likely to do with box model and padddings / margins being addded to width of blocks.

 

agree with banksy on rounded corners..

  • Author

I've implemented a few of your suggestions, I wish I could start the design from scratch, but I just don't have the time!

 

After trying it on other screens I see what you mean about the 'fleshy' colour, I need to be using a more 'true' colour monitor.

 

So I've changed the background slightly, it's still lighter than the original because the client wanted it that way.

 

I've changed the nav roll over to white, any better?

 

Oh and yeah I know about the problems on IE6, I will eventually create a separate style sheet to be used with that. Also that will allow me to change all the .png files with .gif's or jpegs etc.

I really like it, i disagree with everybody else, i rather like the rounded top on the gold package, I know it shouldnt look right but i feel with it going into the image above it it looks good.

 

I think the background is still a bit light, too similar to the content background, but i suppose what the client want the client gets lol

 

Love the design overall though nice and simple

  • Jo 90 locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.