Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

JonnyIrving

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by JonnyIrving

  1. Good afternoon everybody, I'm having a problem with a site I'm working on. The problem is working with a fixed height footer and making it so it sits at the bottom of the page. I have done this by creating a container div which has a margin-bottom:-57px;, the footer height+padding = 57px so it sits below the container div. This method works well on a page with enough content to fill the page. The problem comes when a page has little content on it. Even know there are just a few lines of content the container div is way too big! I've spent a long time looking through fixes but haven't been able to find one that works here. I created a test page to demonstrate my problem, the RED area causes scroll even know there is little "content". My page I will truly grateful for any help given.
  2. Has anyone else got any ideas? I'm still really struggling with this one.
  3. Ahh, yeah I see your point. I did it that way because the footer sits below the container. Is there no way to make the wrapper div behave?
  4. Good evening everyone, So basically I've been fighting with this page and losing epically. My problem is that the wrapper DIV has a background of red at the moment and as you can see it only goes as far as the content. You can see from the code that I have given 100% heights to all object the wrapper is embedded in but I still can't seem to get the red background of the wrapper to go all the way to the bottom of the page. Any help anyone can offer would be very much appriciated. My page
  5. Good Morning everyone, The problem I am having is with jQuery selectors. What I'm trying to do it's very complex I don't think but I am new to using jQuery so I've probably made some fundamental mistake. So basically what I am trying to achive is when the class .titleanddescription is clicked on the first time it changes the height of the .more class within .titleanddescription. And then changes it back on the Second click. So selecting a class within (this) is what I guess I am trying to achieve. I'm not using slidetoggle because there are other effects I want to add. Thankyou for any advice you can offer. jQuery: function serviceslide() { $(".titleanddescription").toggle( function () { alert ("First"); $(this).(".more").css("height":"750px"); }, function () { alert ("Second"); $(this).(".more").css("height":"0px"); } ); } HTML: <div class="serblock"> <div class="titleanddescription"> <h2 class="service">Title</h2> <p>Description</p> <p class="more">More Details</p> </div> </div>
  6. I managed to get in in safe mode and sort whatever it was that I did so no need to answer! Thanks for looking!
  7. Okay, I was looking into teaching myself PHP so I tried to get up IIS on my machine (win xp pro). After downloading PHP the set up said I needed "FastCGI for IIS" so I went to the site address given and downloaded then installed it. Once "FastCGI for IIS" had finished installing it said it required a restart. On restart it asks for my login details and when I log on it hangs on the "Applying computer setings..." (over 45 minutes now!) I'm on a work networked computer and have no idea what's going on or what I can do. Please help me if you have any idea! Thanks Jonny
  8. Welcome the WDF. Everyone is really helpful here!
  9. Lol budding...but shhhhhhhh. Thanks for the feedback!
  10. Good afternoon everybody. Here's a design I was working on today for my profile site. Please let me know what you think. I'm quite happy with general layout and the transparency but I'm not too sure about the background image and the typography I've used in this demo. Thanks in advance! Jonny
  11. Morning all, In the latest project I'm working on I'm using some jquery to control the css opacity of some menu li items. the idea of this is the have the jquery fade out the ".menuitems li a" revealing the ".menuitems li" underneath. As this is controlling menu items I want the effect to be trigger by both mouse and tab actions. This is why my code is repeated, one with mouseover/out and one with focus/blur. I'm very new to jquery and I'm sure there are much better ways to do this using less code. I hate seeing repeted code in my work. Please help! <script type="text/javascript"> $(document).ready(function(){ menuhover(); tabfocus(); }); function menuhover() { $('.menuitems li').removeClass('hover'); $('.menuitems li a') .css({opacity: 1.0}) .mouseover(function(){ $(this).stop().animate({opacity:0.0}, 500); }) .mouseout(function(){ $(this).stop().animate( {opacity:1.0}, 1000); }); } function tabfocus() { $('.menuitems li').removeClass('hover'); $('.menuitems li a') .css({opacity: 1.0}) .focus(function(){ $(this).stop().animate({opacity:0.0}, 500); }) .blur(function(){ $(this).stop().animate( {opacity:1.0}, 1000); }); } </script>
  12. Morning everyone Doe's anyone know a good hosting package to put a wordpress site on. I use heartinternet for other work but to be able to create a mysql databases with them you have to pay quite a bit more. Any idea for a cheap solution? Thanks in advance.
  13. That's the article I read! I knew there would be more to it, very interesting. Good luck with it boke, http://www.seomoz.org it definitely worth having a good look at.
  14. I may get shot down here by the experts but from what I've read the meta description tag isn't as important in SEO as it once was. Most search engines ignore them due to people putting spammy descriptions to get more hits.
  15. Hey man, Love the site. Good work. Only thing I picked up on was the quit kit page. The hot spots on the little [+]s weren't a lined with the picture 100%. Otherwise good work!
  16. Oh yeah I've seen this posted around a few places but completely forgot about it, thankyou!
  17. They are a great help thank you tillwilly. If anyone else has more to add please feel free!
  18. Morning everybody. I'm currently building my first Wordpress site and am currently in the process of trying to put together my own theme to use with it. My client wants to be able to edit all the text on all parts of the site. E.g. company info on the home page. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to any tuts or guides they have seen explaining how wp can be used to run a whole side including the static parts such as the company info on the homepage as well as the article/ blog post parts. Thanks
  19. Hey cib, You make some good points.I'm playing with my body font as I type. I don't quite understand what you mean by leadning though? Now you mention it those buttons are everywhere. You got any examples of what you would call a modern button? Thanks again!
  20. I gave that a go. I like it so thanks for the tip!
  21. Hopefully a lot less soon though. Everybody’s heard how Microsoft have been forced to offer a range of browsers to xp vista and 7 users in Europe. Well when the window pops up for the user to make the selection and they choose internet explorer (as most will) they will be prompted to update to IE8! It's mainly the corporations who have put off updating and hopefully this will put a bit of pressure on them to sort their machines out!
  22. Good afternoon everyone. I recently secured my first client, woop! It's my girlfriends dad so if I get it wrong I'm doubly in trouble. I've been doing a lot of research on the fundamentals of designing for the web but haven't put it into practise much as I'm just starting out. Here's a mock up for his site. It's an accountancy firm so I shot for clean, clear and bold. Please let me know if I missed!? I'm looking for any advice from designers as to what I could do to give this piece at truly professional look. Be as specific or vague as you think will be helpful! Thanks in advance! Much Love.
  23. Just a note to say good work on the header. If your codeing skills catch up with your design skills you'll go a long way.
  24. Haha..but sadly so true!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.