Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

JonnyIrving

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by JonnyIrving

  1. Good day everybody, This is definitely too heavy for general chat but if you could bare with me I would be very appreciative. I'm in my final year of university and so am writing my dissertation. The title I have gone for is: 'How can internet technologies optimise the performance of Small & Medium Enterprises?' I was wondering if between you all you had come across any interesting journals, reports, conference papers ect that would be relevant to this area? Anything around internet strategy or internet tech to improve performance would be very useful to me. Thanks for looking!
  2. Good day everyone, This may be a bit heavy for general chat but I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on what they think is meant by an essay title I've been given. “THE language of the world wide web is English – an example of colonisation via technology?” It's the phrase 'colonisation via technology' I'm struggling to understand. Has anyone come across this idea before? Thanks for any advise! Jonny
  3. I can definitely see where you're coming from. As I say I'm new to design, I was planning to break up the larger blocks of content with some in text images to compliment the message. Thanks for your time Christy! Jonny
  4. Thanks for that Tery, Not too sure about 1995...maybe 2002? I'm trying to reduce the pixelation on the stripes but having little luck so far. Jonny
  5. Hey ip, I'm far from a professional but in my opinion I think it looks a little busy. I can spot at least 8 different font formats as well. I also think some of the gradients you use such as in the blue box, menu and header would look better if they were a little more subtle. As I say the profs may completely disagree, that's just my opinion. Jonny
  6. Was it something I said??
  7. I like it, very simplistic design. I also came across this this morning and thought it would be really good for an art or photography showcase. Jonny
  8. Good afternoon everybody, I was just wondering if I could get some feedback on a site I am working on. I am just a beginner in web design and development at the moment so feedback on any area of the site is appreciated. IE design, copy, code...whatever you like! My university rowing site Note: Haven't done IE6 compatibility changes yet. Suggestions greatly appreciated. Jonny
  9. IE6

    JonnyIrving replied to consh's topic in Web Browsers
    That's annoying, I did a lot of work in the schools in county Durham and we put a big red sign on each page telling users they needed to upgrade if they were using IE6. We got most of them!
  10. What are these classes that you take?
  11. Hey Grace, Welcome to WDF, hope you learn as much from this site as I have. Jonny
  12. Hello everybody, So basically I've ran my site through ySlow and it has informed me that I should add Expires headers to some of the elements on my page to help with the caching. The page is mainly static content currently hosted on an Apache2 server. If it helps at all the site is here. I'm not really sure how you alter the HTTP header information but from what I have read I should use mod_expires module of Apache2 to set the Expires header. Has anyone had any experience in this who could tell me what steps I need to take to implement the changes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Jonny
  13. One brief module on it at university then carried on myself.
  14. Welcome, good you have you on board.
  15. If your interested in learning PHP at the lowest level and working up I would highly recommend the Zend Tutorial. It takes you through it all step by step and includes all the modern ways that PHP is used. It would certainly cover everything you would need for you project. Jonny
  16. I think that would defeat the purpose of what I was trying to do. I found what had caused the problem. I selected and coloured the shape fine and it had nice smoothed borders because when I selected the path I set anti-aliasing. The horrible edges appeared because I recoloured my shape using the paint bucket tool which takes away the nice roundy effect.
  17. Thanks for your help guys. The feathering help quite a lot when I found the right level. The vector was intact so I found it odd too. I'm still learning I guess! Thanks again.
  18. Has anyone else got any ideas what could be causing this?
  19. Yeah I gave that a try but it just comes out with the same result. I also tried adjusting the feather radius but that didn't really get the desired result either.
  20. Good morning everyone, This is one for all the Photoshop experts. In the uploaded image I have a tabbed graphic that I am building for a website I'm currently working on. Each tab was made through creating a path of that shape and then used 'Make selection...' with the path and colouring it. When I selected the path I set anti-aliasing to true and feather radius to 0. What ever I did it hasn't worked very well as you can see. the tabs edges look very rough and you can see the pixels, especially on the top most 'pupil' tab. Thanks in advance for any advice! Jonny
  21. @jonnyirving
  22. Thanks for the suggestions, I tried Simple CMS but I don't think it's going to be my cup of tea. Yeah I've also heard good thing about Cushy CMS. I'll give that a try now.
  23. Good Morning everyone, I'm currently working on a website for my rowing team, this if a information site with details on the club and how to join ect. The site also has a news section on it. I was wondering if anyone had come across a light CMS method I could use for this section of the website in order for it to be easily manageable by non technical members of the club. I cannot use wordpress as my hosting doesn't include MySQL. Thanks for your ideas and suggestions!
  24. 1139 We can do this!
  25. Thanks for that Andy. Yeah, I've seen that one. I tried again with it though using all the exact rules he uses to no affect. The container on mine is still too large even when I remove all content!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.