July 28, 200818 yr Yo Hope everyone is well and if you are in the UK you better be soaking up the sun... Just seen this very interesting article concerning Ex-Google workers fighting back, take a read HERE They even call themselves "The World's Biggest Search Engine"
July 28, 200818 yr Hmm, interesting...although cuil have a nice looking design thats easyer on the eyes. I'm sure, like google said the article they are indexing the most webpages. I mean that has to be true just try searcing 1 thing in cuil and another in google. Google gets more results. And from a few of the searches I still thing google has higher quality results. And i think its going to be along time before cuil will get as well known as google is. EDIT: Also if they're wanting to get as big as google, i think they'll have to start providing email, advert systems and all. And if they do, i personaly will just think there anoying copy cats
July 28, 200818 yr Author i don't know what i think about the design of the Cuil site actually.. the search page is nice and simple, but i don't really like the results page... i am not sure about the whole column idea.. EDIT - i searched for AVV Studios before and got a lot of results, i just searched again now and got none.. not 1....
July 28, 200818 yr It claims this is more than Google uses though the search giant has stopped reporting how much it indexes. Without revealing numbers Google claimed its index was still bigger. Does the BBC do any research? Google announced that they've reached 1 Trillion pages in their index just the other day!
July 28, 200818 yr lol EDIT - i searched for AVV Studios before and got a lot of results, i just searched again now and got none.. not 1.... Dark Notes dosnt get anything...well aload of totaly un related stuff, and the same with CssFx. I think they've got along long long long way to go before they get any way nears google!
July 28, 200818 yr I like the idea, but its pointless. Every company that competes with Google just gets bought out by Google.
July 28, 200818 yr Very true, folks have to keep trying though! If there's no competition there's no need for Google to work hard.
July 28, 200818 yr I don't see how it can compeat, google is not only a huge search engine it has been around for years it also has google labs, video, docs, shopping, images and a ton of other things for web users and webmasters.
July 28, 200818 yr Well they still need to build up. Can't expect a company to crawl the entire internet so quickly. Plus you can submit your site if you want your's indexed sooner Cuil Webmaster info I personally like the results display better. Keep in mind this company has an edge over all the others that tried to compete as well. They actually came from google.
July 28, 200818 yr Cuil blows. Hence why there ex employees there search isn't comprehensive the design sucks. i don't want to scan 3 columns or 2 i want one. not to mention it died early on.
July 28, 200818 yr I don't see how it can compeat, google is not only a huge search engine it has been around for years it also has google labs, video, docs, shopping, images and a ton of other things for web users and webmasters. Just because a company has been around for years doesn't mean it will stay number 1. There were lots of search engines before Google which have either gone/been bought or are so small they aren't worth the mention.
July 28, 200818 yr Author but really google is not really just a search engine anymore... they have one of the biggest ad systems, one of the biggest e-mail systems, the google docs, the maps etc, they are just so big everyone knows their name....
July 28, 200818 yr I like the design tho to me the grid structure is nice but not for browsing results. and its to dark.
July 28, 200818 yr Author yeah... the grid system just does not work for results in my opinion... it does not allow for easy "scanning" if you get me EDIT - just noticed Kip0130 has 666 posts nice one !!
July 28, 200818 yr I love the homepage/search page - the results page just made my eyes wobble everywhere. Oh that and practically none of my websites are listed!
July 29, 200818 yr yeah, i can't find any of my site's in there... I think the search page...the actuall search box looks alittle...wrong there by its self..
July 29, 200818 yr I think that if the results they returned were a little bit better (and that will probably take some time) I could get used to the 3 column method layout and it may turn out to be more efficient. I certainly prefer where their page numbers are. The tabbed suggestions and category search is very cool. I do wonder though, if they are dedicating so much space to each result, trying to make more use of the page, why are they not providing thumbnails? Or why don't more of their results provide an image from the page? That would seem to be a modern browser thing. Also if their results returned results equally as relevant as google, they could develop a competitive advantage by, rather than forcing their 3 col style, offering user customisation - I've got room for another column! I want to stress the point I made above: although certainly these guys must think they will succeed if they are investing time, money and effort at the end of the day when going out to play with big companies like google, in many senses it isn't the winning it is the taking part that is important. Offering customers an alternative that may provide an additional feature or option that they like allows you to build a user base. Google will then have to work hard to win that user base back - forcing them to be more efficient, innovative and to work hard. Without even niggly and insignificant competition, companies like Google get complacent. Cuil's (even minor) success will of course be based on getting their index up to scratch and their algorithms returning results comparable to Google's.
July 29, 200818 yr I wish them luck but realistically I don't think they will complete with Google. It is very unfortunate that the climate is like that but thats business!
July 29, 200818 yr That's really an interesting article. It's content is very informative. For me, it's nice to see new search engine like Cuil. How I wish they become successful though it's really hard to compete with Google.
July 29, 200818 yr I like it. I think the home page should lighten up. I really like the 3 column results page. Although which is the number 2 result, the one to the right of the top left result or the one below it? Which one is the most effective of the two? I'd prefer the pagination to be centred. Some searches result in a category box coming up on the right hand column which is not bad, eg. http://www.cuil.com/search?q=uk%20graphic%...ign&sl=long The site is very US centric though, I'd like the option to stick to UK centric results. I've added it to FF and I'll give it a test drive over the next few weeks - always nice to something new.
July 29, 200818 yr The background color of the inputfield is black, makes it very hard to see with images turned off . Kind of a big bug if you ask me . Other than that cool that someone is atleast trrying, although it seems that theres still a lot of work to be done. It gives a lot of irrelevant search results and is also a bit slow.
Create an account or sign in to comment