Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Review my site homepage

Featured Replies

You develop a site by writing the content and building the structure. Getting navigation right and sorting out the header, footer and calls to action. Sort out the internal linking and information flows.

 

Once all this is done you then sort out the layout.

 

Hence my suggestion to build the site on Wordpress using a sime theme. Don't worry about how it looks, that is unimportant at this stage.

Sorry, I didn't notice the last 2 sentences were at the bottom of my post. Please ignore those.

There are not supposed to be there. I copied and tried to paste that sentence earlier in the post, but they must have pasted later on.

I hurried to post it before I went to work.

Edited by Grant Barker

  • Author

I'll be working on the content today. I've also just finished redoing the portfolio bit on the homepage.

 

UX wise, do you feel it's good now?

 

Thanks all!

I don't like t but that's just my opinion. You won't know if it works until the site launches. And even then expect to be making lots of changes for the first few months.

 

Leave it alone for now and get the site structure and the content sorted on a basic Wordpress install. Or better still, don't use Wordpress and show off your development skills by building a site from scratch.

I'm not sure you need a background image, but the laptop and coffee background image at the top, is different from the tablet and phone background image at the bottom. Upon scrolling, it seems inconsistent, as if the image should be the same or not there at all.

 

Also, you have typed: I aim to all hit all of your targets so knowing them in advance will help me meet your expectations.

 

Maybe that should be: I aim to hit all of your targets, so knowing them in advance will help me meet your expectations.

Edited by Grant Barker

  • Author

I'm not sure you need a background image, but the laptop and coffee background image at the top, is different from the tablet and phone background image at the bottom. Upon scrolling, it seems inconsistent, as if the image should be the same or not there at all.

 

Also, you have typed: I aim to all hit all of your targets so knowing them in advance will help me meet your expectations.

 

Maybe that should be: I aim to hit all of your targets, so knowing them in advance will help me meet your expectations.

I've made the background images the same. It felt plain without them? Thanks, I fixed the typo :)

 

I don't like t but that's just my opinion. You won't know if it works until the site launches. And even then expect to be making lots of changes for the first few months.

 

Leave it alone for now and get the site structure and the content sorted on a basic Wordpress install. Or better still, don't use Wordpress and show off your development skills by building a site from scratch.

Thanks. I'm gonna start on WordPress now. I feel using it will make managing content etc a lot easier and there's no real point wasting time to reinvent the wheel?

I fixed the typo

Obviously it doesn't matter at all at this stage, but it does still say `I aim to all hit all..'.

(In case you were thinking about another sentence.)

  • Author

Obviously it doesn't matter at all at this stage, but it does still say `I aim to all hit all..'.

(In case you were thinking about another sentence.)

I swear I changed it..

 

Ok so I've WordPressified the site: http://newsite.shivampaw.com/

 

I think it's basically done? I know I have to add the main contents to each work post and also the rest of the pages and also add the contact page but other than that is there any other overall feedback?

 

Thanks for everyone's help :)

 

If someone can also test the contact form on the bottom of the homepage I'd appreciate it :)

Edited by shivampaw

I just tested your contact form. It seemed to work OK from this end.

I'm curious what design you are working towards at this moment. (The wide screen Home page version, or the narrower pages of Work, About. Blog and Contact.)

 

Can we run polls on this forum?

Maybe you could run a poll about your logo and see if people like it, or can identify with it or not, etc.

 

Anyway, enjoy doing it all.

I for one am still learning and grasping concepts here and there, so I appreciate your journey, and wish you luck.

Edited by Grant Barker

You seem fixated on this particular layout for the homepage. I've given you a number of reasons why it is ineffective but if this is what you want then that's decision. Once the site goes live you will know if it's successful.

 

You are still missing telephone and address and contact form and calls to action on each page.

 

I clicked on the medical studies image and the linked page isn't responsive.

 

Everything else is coming soon so not much to comment on.

 

I also agree the narrow pages look wrong after the full width homepage.

  • Author

Just two quick questions. Do you think it's better with no blue background but having a max width of 950px for readability or what I've done now which is standard container width and just having a less of a blue background. Or a mix of both etc?

 

I found the white background to be a bit too plain?

 

Here's an image of the white background on the work page:

http://i.imgur.com/lAaBWP6.jpg

 

Also, you'll see I've added a call to action above the footer on all pages except the home and contact page. And I've also added the getting in touch details.

 

The other question is, I'm looking at changing the logo, any ideas for what would go well?

  • Author

I also made some changes just now, you might need to force reload the CSS at: http://newsite.shivampaw.com/wp-content/themes/shivampaw/style.css

 

I've removed the background image on the homepage and remove the call to actions images. I like it but now on pages like work the call to action is blended into the page background. http://newsite.shivampaw.com/work/

 

I was thinking of making it the same colour of the footer but then it doesn't stand out. Any suggestions?

 

Thanks!

 

I've also added all the content now if you want to check it :)

Edited by shivampaw

I like it, compared to how it was. It's simple now and focuses on just things which are needed.

I like the Heel Diaries site in your portfolio. To have a few more unique site designs like that in your portfolio will help separate the other ones, which look a little similar in design and colour. (Target, Rowley and Prima look very similar - on the Recent Work page.)

 

Maybe you could enhance your logo to communicate what it is you do. I personally usually like to see a real photo of someone on the contact page or about page, if I'm going to be spending money with them.

 

Onwards and upwards and good luck.

  • 3 months later...

I believe there is some problem on my end. I'm not able to open your website on given link. I'm getting "404 Not Found" error.

  • Guest locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.