Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What is upcoming trends for mobile website design

Featured Replies

I would like to start this topic "What is upcoming trends for mobile website design ?" as discussion in this forum. Please reply to this thread as many as possible.... :)

 

You can compare the mobile sites vs mobile apps as upcoming trends which one is necessary and why ?

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

I think the growth of apps has given a new dimension in the field of UI design.

Yes , you are right friend :) an mobile apps is the better way and a better in UI design.

I think the growth of apps has given a new dimension in the field of UI design.

 

Yes , you are right friend :) an mobile apps is the better way and a better in UI design.

 

Mobile Apps have had a major influence on UI design but I'm not sure if the native mobile apps will last. Even though Native apps are popular right now I think the cloud-computing tendency is stronger in the long run. As the bandwidth improves and browser implementations gets better and better, the native mobile apps, as well as many desktop applications, may very well be replaced by web applications. But I guess we will just have to wait and see :)

  • Author
A Web App ( mobile app) are the future. Basically Internet-enabled apps that are accessible via the mobile device’s Web browser. They need not be downloaded onto the user’s mobile device in order to be accessed. Hope you understand ? Mr. Nillervision

 

A Web App ( mobile app) are the future. Basically Internet-enabled apps that are accessible via the mobile device’s Web browser. They need not be downloaded onto the user’s mobile device in order to be accessed. Hope you understand ? Mr. Nillervision

 

Yeah well if you can predict the future you are going to get very rich ;)

However I do agree that it is very likely that a web browser will be the core of the operating systems of the future in which we will lauch all sorts of applications but I don't think this will be limited to mobile devices. The same applications can be executed on your PC at work, your TV and your game console at home and all sorts of devices we don't even know to day. The key is to be able to develop interfaces that are accessible with all sorts of devices and adapts to all sorts of screen sizes. If you can do that then it does not matter whether the the device is "mobile" or not.

Yeah well if you can predict the future you are going to get very rich ;)

However I do agree that it is very likely that a web browser will be the core of the operating systems of the future in which we will lauch all sorts of applications but I don't think this will be limited to mobile devices. The same applications can be executed on your PC at work, your TV and your game console at home and all sorts of devices we don't even know to day. The key is to be able to develop interfaces that are accessible with all sorts of devices and adapts to all sorts of screen sizes. If you can do that then it does not matter whether the the device is "mobile" or not.

 

I agree with this, although Apple will do it's damndest to make the web suffer via Safari. If native apps disappeared Apple will lose out.

 

That said development is improving, there's NativeScript and ReactNative that allows you to write both iOS and Android apps in JavaScript, so the context shift between web app and native app is a little less jarring than having to use a multitude of languages.

  • Author

Thanks @ Privileged for sharing your experience. We always collect feedback from experts worldwide and implement for our future mobile apps..

  • 3 months later...

Responsive website-design“Web design trends are normally similar to fashion trends” – I read this from somewhere in web & it is really true. While searching in google, here are some latest website designing trend, we need to implement in 2016; Read More

Mobile is the wrong word to use for anything webby.

 

I've got an old PC I use as a print server. It's got a manky old 1024px screen. It's not mobile.

 

My tablet on the other hand has a 2560px screen.

 

The old PC would need a websites that resolve down to a lower page width but the tablet can cope well with just about anything. There is no such thing as mobile. It's the reason .mobi and wap never took off. Technology is changing way too fast, all your websites need to do is adapt to the device.

 

And 4G isn't everywhere. I've been to places around the world what any connection at all is a bonus. So if you want to keep everyone happy don't fill your site with a bazillion scripts. The trick to a fast responsive site is .... wait for it... to send less data. Minimise the server calls and strip out all the fancy animations and bling.

Mobile is the wrong word to use for anything webby.

 

I've got an old PC I use as a print server. It's got a manky old 1024px screen. It's not mobile.

 

My tablet on the other hand has a 2560px screen.

 

The old PC would need a websites that resolve down to a lower page width but the tablet can cope well with just about anything. There is no such thing as mobile. It's the reason .mobi and wap never took off. Technology is changing way too fast, all your websites need to do is adapt to the device.

 

And 4G isn't everywhere. I've been to places around the world what any connection at all is a bonus. So if you want to keep everyone happy don't fill your site with a bazillion scripts. The trick to a fast responsive site is .... wait for it... to send less data. Minimise the server calls and strip out all the fancy animations and bling.

I agree with most of this. In many ways it makes no sense to distinguish between mobile and stationary devices*

As long as your designs adapt to all screen sizes it does not matter what type of device it is.

However you do need to distinguish between touch screens and devices with mouse operation. UI elements can be much closer to each other on mouse operated devices than on touch screen devices. And then there is the whole issue of mouse-over/out events

 

*with the exception of Geolocation and phone call functions

Edited by Nillervision

Most of than can easily be managed with CSS.

 

If you design for touch (no hover effects or dropdowns for example) then the site will usually work well with a pointing device.

 

A lot of people using paid for themes and many developers/designers still build of the large screen and adapt for small screens.

 

The canny designer starts with the phone and works back up. It's how I've been doing things for over 2 years now and it has paid off. My core Wordpress theme is ultra lightweight with virtually no scripts which means it's lighting fast on a slow network. And because it's gimmick free the focus moves to the content which and ane fule kno is the key to conversions.

 

The more bling you add to a site the more you distract the visitor. Took me a while and an awful lot of testing to realise this. But the simpler you make a site the better it adapts to the device and the better is converts.

 

And as an aside, if you get rid of your social media links, conversions increase....

I too prefer designing after the mobile first principle but I don't think by definition it is better than desktop first. And I certainly don't think you should restrain your self from using the features that a desktop provides. You can easily perform a check to determine if mouse events are supported on the client device, and if they are why not take fully advantage of them?

 

We had a debate here at WDF some time ago about the subject and I remember someone here said that besides from the performance benefits of mobile first/ progressive enhancement it also encourages designers not to neglect the designs for smaller screens.

But today we almost see the opposite situation where designs for larger screens are neglected.

An increasing number of designs today have a burger icon dropdown menu even at a +4000px wide screen, which is just plain silly.

We also often see one-column layouts in all resolutions witch makes the paragraphs so wide that reading the content, on a desktop screen, fells like wacthing a tennis match from the side line. Full width images in low resolution is another neglect that comes to mind.

 

I very much agree with your idea about designing from the most basic media and progressively enhance from that. I just dont think you should necessarily stop at, or leave out, the desktop features.

Edited by Nillervision

I agree,

 

I don't leave out desktop features, you can accommodate all sorts of features often by just using CSS.

 

I wrote a blog post about the hamburger menu - after a lot of research and testing it appears that nobody likes the thing, even on small screens. A really well designed site should need to use the hamburger of any screen. They are plenty of alternatives, all far more usable than an icon.

 

The primary navigation of a site shouldn't need more than 5 or 6 links. Any more and the user can become confused. Dropdowns shouldn't be needed either. If you have a clear top level link ( ie Men's Clothes) you would be taken to a category page to choose what type of clothes you want. Not having a drop down means no surprises and it's much simpler to use on a phone. If you want to have dropdowns that's not a problem but they shouldn't be the only way to get to a page.

 

And because you only have 5 or 6 links you can display them in full on any device. People can see the links and know where to go instead of guessing. The hamburger or slide menus or anything else just isn't necessary.

 

UX is a huge and fascinating topic. But many site designers are lazy and use the hamburger menu because it's a simple fix. A good designer will build a site that is easy to use. This may take a little longer to code but the results will result in higher conversions.

  • 2 weeks later...

Not true at all. Responsive is become more popular, apps to replace websites on small screens are becoming less popular.

 

And I don't want to go to Leeds. I like it where I am.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.