Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

When you build a register page on a web site, what kinds of info do you ask from your user?

Featured Replies


I'm building a register form. I know I need name, email, DOB, username, password. What else do I need?

I know it depends on what kind of site but I'm just trying to get some ideas.

 

I was going to say, it really does depend on what your site is based on, and what you need. If you don't need the information, don't ask for it it.

 

If I come across a site and it's got loads of boxes to fill in, I will often click away. I hate having to fill in long forms (for no reason).

 

Best bet is to look at your competitors, and see what information they are getting.

  • Author

The reason I'm asking is because I may post ads according to age, gender, location, etc. I'm looking for other demographics that may help in posting certain kinds of ads as they visit the sites I have. Just trying to get ideas.

The reason I'm asking is because I may post ads according to age, gender, location, etc. I'm looking for other demographics that may help in posting certain kinds of ads as they visit the sites I have. Just trying to get ideas.

probably best to let the user just sign up with basic info ie username, email, password and once logged in then ask the user to fill the rest of there profile in

I find the less they have to fill in the better, you can always fish for more information over time....
I currently get Firstname, lastname, Company, email, phone, that is just enough for my information. you may require more or less.

Remember don't hinder the user and don't make it really difficult to fill in! such as phone numbers allow for space as some don't and it's annoying...

I find the less they have to fill in the better, you can always fish for more information over time....

I currently get Firstname, lastname, Company, email, phone, that is just enough for my information. you may require more or less.

Remember don't hinder the user and don't make it really difficult to fill in! such as phone numbers allow for space as some don't and it's annoying...

Two random thoughts...

 

How comes they ask for First & Last Name Seperate, why not just put Full Name.

 

Also, how do you feel about putting a phone number? Obviously, this situation is very hard because we have no idea what the site is even for.

Personally, I prefer not to put a phone number, unless they are a well established site for example PayPal etc.

Two random thoughts...

 

How comes they ask for First & Last Name Seperate, why not just put Full Name.

 

Also, how do you feel about putting a phone number? Obviously, this situation is very hard because we have no idea what the site is even for.

Personally, I prefer not to put a phone number, unless they are a well established site for example PayPal etc.

Well, we run a few events and we require these minumum details to contact customers/attendees, and we create name badges from the names :)

Oh we are quite established in our industry.

 

thanks for your concern though hehe

  • Author

I find the less they have to fill in the better, you can always fish for more information over time....

I currently get Firstname, lastname, Company, email, phone, that is just enough for my information. you may require more or less.

 

Remember don't hinder the user and don't make it really difficult to fill in! such as phone numbers allow for space as some don't and it's annoying...

The sites I have at this time, I'll just use the email as optional if at all.

 

 

Thanks everyone for the tips. I'll try to figure out the best way to do a location. I may do a state drop down but some sites may not be only nationally.

If you want to wish Happy Birthday to your users, ask for their date of birth. Otherwise, don't.

If you don't need their address, don't ask for it.

Make a list of what you really need, but keep in mind people just don't like filling long forms.

General UX rules state that the more forms the user has to fill out, the less chance of them actually registering (and people hate long forms). On the other side, many businesses want to get as much possible information about their users (target demographic, age, financial status, marriage status, etc). However, I think a good way around this is to have like 4 forms in the registration part and collecting some of that other information at the user's leisure, or later on when using the web app

Everyone has said everything really.

 

Just thought I would add something.

 

On my site it's just 3 items: Username, Email, password.

 

I choose not to have a re enter password or email. This could cause issues but just make sure you have clear prompts to check

  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.