Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Hello all

Featured Replies

Hello, i am Geoff and i am a somewhat of a web developer and my focus right now is research on css. My interests are responsive fluid grids and modern web browsers. Of major concern to me currently is how the available space is divided among objects in a fluid responsive grid.

 

I am looking for a way to predict what space will be available for division(then assigned to the objects in your design) and use media queries to manage this space.

 

I hope to have a good time and succeed in my research.

 

Thanks.

Greetings :hi:

 

Bahhh working out responsive design calculations (And just responsive sites in general) is the bane of my existence, but it's going to be more part of every day life for most devs, so best get used to it.

 

Welcome.

Hey there Geoff!

I personally consider "responsive" and "fluid" layouts to be be different concepts... The way I see it is:

 

Responsive - Uses media queries to provide conditions for which CSS styles should be applied to the webpage.

Fluid - Uses relativity to force elements to resize depending on the width/height of the browser.

 

Not sure if that's the correct view established by the authorities but that's my interpretation.
As for deciding upon the divisions, I use the most common screen resolutions and use Photoshop to make a framework for the layout under each width - that way it makes the code cleaner when you come to the development process as you're already aware of how you're going to code it as well as knowing which elements will be included, excluded resized depending on each width.

 

EDIT: Not sure what happened... I seemed to lose connection and only small portion of my reply went through. Also I'd like to add that although I consider them difference concepts, it doesn't mean that they can't be used simultaneously in co-operation - in fact, that's how I would advise to use them - in unison.

Edited by Alluziion

  • Author

Hi Alluziion,

 

They are indeed two different concepts. I used to use pixels until i point things got complicated and switched to percentages.

To get started on my research in earnest,i googled for mozilla css extensions and i discovered the flexible boxes. The box has the property flex-flow and flex-shrink.One reason i like flex-box is that it claims to of help if you wish to predict how your space will be utilised.

 

I haven't tried it yet but i will starting tomorrow.

Edited by peaceandbeauty

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.