Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Gnaw away at my self-esteem by critiquing my first client website

Featured Replies

t4f.netii.net

 

Hi,

 

I could really do with some advice. The site is for french lessons and tuition in London. It's still a wip.

It's very simple, maybe too simple. I'm thinking of adding more detail maybe a texture to the background?

I'll also change the colours of the circles. Lots of things still need tweaking.

 

Also I little worried about the size. The image is 1000px by 980px. Haven't tested it in different screen sizes, different browsers seem alright. Even IE.

 

Any advice is much appreciated.

 

Thanks!

I get a warning on that URL to say the website is under review for malicious content!

  • Author

I get a warning on that URL to say the website is under review for malicious content!

 

Ha! I promise It's nothing to do with me! I blame the client. ;)

 

Here's some pics -

 

post-36336-0-40839900-1328026072_thumb.jpg

post-36336-0-86466600-1328026082_thumb.jpg

post-36336-0-56849400-1328026094_thumb.jpg

post-36336-0-06685100-1328026113_thumb.jpg

its not really a website design :/

 

just a logo, navagation and large picture

 

get some inspiration! google for similar websites see what features there using... and what you could put on your website

  • Author

its not really a website design :/

 

just a logo, navagation and large picture

 

get some inspiration! google for similar websites see what features there using... and what you could put on your website

 

To be fair, you could say that about all websites.

 

But I don't have anymore content from the client, once that comes through, I know it will look less of a shell.

  • Author

It is a design, altho a poor design. Using same structure but working on elements, to become more classy, you could pull off really beatiful site.

 

I'll give you some great examples:

 

http://www.madewithlove.be/

http://colly.com/

http://eeharbor.com/

http://www.logartis.info/site2011/ (yeah this one is kinda out of beginner reach but you got the concept :p)

 

 

Alright. For starters, I re-did the logo. Every pixel and vector is mine.

 

Are we cooking now?

 

:)

post-36336-0-24835900-1328128241_thumb.jpg

1000px - do you mean will it create a horizontall scrollbar?

 

I think you may get away with 1000 with a nat's hair to spare. On a 1024 monitor. If I remember right.

 

But I'd shoot for the 970 or 980 grid if I were you. Make it 970 or 980 (read up on the 970 and 980 grid structure).

 

Unless you're gonna go responsive or similar in which case, a different kettle of fish.

Sorry to be frank (and I know what it's like having your design slated) but that site will go nowhere in it's present form.

 

The clock and images are very nice but way too big. When I was clicking the different links I didn't see anything change as I'm on a laptop and didn't see the content change below the fold. Reduce the size of the clock big time. It's not a clock site but a site to learn French!

 

As stated previously, the url structure is very weird and may put people off. You can tell your client if they are wrong about something. I do it all the time! That's what they are paying for - your expertise. No client brief is set in stone in my view.

 

If you client has not provided you with any content use Lorem Ipsum to add dummy content.

 

All the best,

Numb

I think if you scaled that image down, I'd say at least half the size, you'd have a starting point. I think the "Time 4 French" isn't noticeable enough and doesn't fit in that clock very well. Perhaps put it above the clock? I think a nice old handwritten style font would go with the Roman numerals much better. Perhaps put the links in the same font, below the clock, they certainly need to be moved from where they are currently. The original link colour is too light they don't contrast well with the bg colour also the visited state is black which I don't think works, certainly with your colour scheme.

 

Hope this helps.

I agree with what everyone else has said, but the images are far to big, took ages to load and I'm on a 20Mb connection.

sorry Jejun, the site has failed in many ways.

 

Hard to say knowing the amount of work you must have put in this project.

 

At the moment there is no good structure because you might put too much effort in the clock idea.

 

Go back to a more standard layout.

 

P.H.

im thinking re-design the lot

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.