Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

My Freelance Site

Featured Replies

Hey guys, I have a personal freelancing website CheckeredMichael and I really feel like I should be adding more, but I don't exactly know what. I have slowly been adding bits of content but nothing too exciting and I feel like I need to add some more pages and/or content on the main page, but I'm having a bit of trouble thinking about what should and shouldn't be on there.

 

I would also like to know what you guys think of the design, if anything should be moved around or changed, colour scheme anything you think which could improve the site. I've had this design for a while now and I still haven't had any clients or activity brought from this site. I would just like to keep it simple but also wow anyone who visits.

First thing I noticed is that the arrow hides your Google+ button and I am unable to click on any of the social buttons, even though in your code they are links?

 

Checked in the latest Chrome, FF, IE and Opera

post-27429-0-27016100-1313691994_thumb.jpg

  • Author

First thing I noticed is that the arrow hides your Google+ button and I am unable to click on any of the social buttons, even though in your code they are links?

 

Checked in the latest Chrome, FF, IE and Opera

 

Thanks, it should be fixed now :)

How old are you Michael and how long have you been doing web design/development?

I love this from the about me section of the checkered michael "personal" site:

 

Outside of computers, I also enjoy spending time with my friends, I enjoy college and used to do lots of mountain biking, but I have now become lazy and don't do it any more.

 

Quality

  • Author

I've said I'm open to all sorts of criticism as long as it's constructive and helps me out. I don't care if it's bad, I would just like helpful comments to help make it better.

OK here we go...

 

  • To many rounded corners (and rounded in the extreme!)
  • Extreme use of embossed text
  • RSS feed block looks like an advert
  • Colour scheme clashes
  • Main navigation demanding all the attention.
  • Background playing havoc with my eyes
  • Copyright text is MASSIVE
  • The little tell your friends button seems to be wandering off on it's own

 

I think the problem is there is little to no subtlety. Reign everything in a lot and work on a different colour scheme.

 

Hope that helps

I think you need to go back to the drawing board with this one. Your current site really isn't working, and I don't think it's going to bring you any business either.

 

A few fundamental things are wrong with the site, the first being a cluttered and unbalanaced layout, with not enough contrast in places, and too much in others. The chequered pattern is too distracting in its current use, and the positioning of elements such as follow me don't make sense.

 

You really need to spend some time learning the fundamental principles of design. Have a look at more established freelancers sites and ask yourself why their sites are better than yours.

 

You say you've been doing web design for 3 years, but there are only 2 examples in your portfolio, one of which is your own site. If you've only made 2 sites in the last 3 years, you need more practice. Make up some fictional clients and build them a site from a fictional brief. Take apart some well designed sites and see what makes them tick. Trying to recreate them makes great practice (obviously don't use copied work to fill up your portfolio.)

 

Hope that helps :)

  • Author

Thanks guys that really does help as I have had feedback from friends and relatives saying it's amazing and I'm thinking I'm doing a good job so it's good to hear proper feedback from actual web designers.

 

I appreciate all your feedback and I certainly will be looking into a redesign and working out what works and what doesn't. I definitely now need to take a look back and make something better.

 

Also to John tbh I don't care if your joking because I just want real feedback and I designed it all on free software, GIMP, Inkscape and Aptana.

Thanks guys that really does help as I have had feedback from friends and relatives saying it's amazing and I'm thinking I'm doing a good job so it's good to hear proper feedback from actual web designers.

 

I appreciate all your feedback and I certainly will be looking into a redesign and working out what works and what doesn't. I definitely now need to take a look back and make something better.

 

Also to John tbh I don't care if your joking because I just want real feedback and I designed it all on free software, GIMP, Inkscape and Aptana.

 

No problem, we're here to help.

Any questions or if you want some more suggestions then just post them up.

Keep us in the loop.

CheckeredMichael I love your attitude makes a refreshing change

 

I agree with Lev have a look at some other sites and see what works and what doesn't

 

a few links to have a look through

 

http://siteinspire.com/

 

http://cssline.com/

 

http://www.awwwards.com/css-gallery

 

:)

I would also like to know what you guys think of the design, if anything should be moved around or changed, colour scheme anything you think which could improve the site. I've had this design for a while now and I still haven't had any clients or activity brought from this site. I would just like to keep it simple but also wow anyone who visits.

I must be honest, I haven't read through all the comments (I skimmed them), so I really hope either nobody has suggested this or it hasn't been considered yet..

 

Anyway, here a few suggestions for you:

  • Looking at the name, I wouldn't use any rounded corners in the site... A layout with a 'tiled' theme would work quite nicely here (think higher contrast 'Windows Phone 7' tiles style).
  • Put some TLC into the colour scheme, light green and white doesn't really work too well like that. Green as a main colour generally works better for darker websites, on lighter sites it's best kept to enhance areas of the site (and in this case, try a brighter green).
  • Pick a more unique font-face for the site, there a bunch of nice (and free) ones on FontSquirrel to choose from. Something like Sansation Light is dead easy to read and works really nicely.
  • Play with the white-space, padding and margin are your friends, I promise.
  • If something is clickable ('Details' on portfolio page), make them look like it... Most people don't move their mouse pointers around to find clickable items, they move their mouse pointers to a item that looks clickable.
  • Background... Well, honestly? Change it; keep the background in the background. Without trying to sound rude, the one you have makes me think you were trying to find something to 'fill space'. Some of the best background ever have been nothing more than a single colour with a gentle gradient.

 

Your blog has got a layout more like what I was thinking of (square edges and white-space use), but it's a bit too far down the road. I'd say that's way more space than is really needed... Heck, I'd have great fun designing a site for you, I've got quite a few ideas flying around my head now.

 

Overall, I'd say keep the 'checkered' theme mentality, but apply that to the content and layout, not the background. And if you do decide to go back to the drawing board (I did see that comment), design the layout in black and white, work on spacing and layout, and then choose a colour for it. Hope that helps a bit.. :)

The colours and rounded edges are hilarious.

Don't be a cock, mate. If someone comes to the community asking for help and advice, what gives you the right to make fun of their work? I bet yours isn't perfect either - like your manners.

 

Zalith has made some good suggestions, but I would say choosing a non-standard font from font-squirrel isn't a fast road to better typography. In my opinion it's better to get to grips with the principles of type using standard fonts. So many designers choose fancy fonts as a substitute for good typography, and it doesn't usually work.

I don't see anything on there Michael.....

 

What is your strongest area in your web design?

 

I think you should maybe hook up with an experienced designer that could guide you through learning the broader range or maybe focusing you on your strongest skill before you start freelancing.

 

Good luck!

Don't be a cock, mate. If someone comes to the community asking for help and advice, what gives you the right to make fun of their work? I bet yours isn't perfect either - like your manners.
:(

 

Sorry Michael. I will post up my actual thoughts later :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.