Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

First e-comerce site!?

Featured Replies

Hello,

 

I am new to web design and a friend has asked me to build them a e-commerce site for their handmade jewelery and artwork. However, they ideally do not want to have to pay for anything (i.e.web hosting etc) or at least a very small fee.

 

What is the best value I can offer them? And what open carts (open cart etc?) and CMS (wordpress, joomla, etc?) should I use? (I am doing this to learn and to add to my portfolio so I am not getting paid of course.)

 

Any other advice would be appreciated!

Hello,

 

I am new to web design and a friend has asked me to build them a e-commerce site for their handmade jewelery and artwork. However, they ideally do not want to have to pay for anything (i.e.web hosting etc) or at least a very small fee.

 

What is the best value I can offer them? And what open carts (open cart etc?) and CMS (wordpress, joomla, etc?) should I use? (I am doing this to learn and to add to my portfolio so I am not getting paid of course.)

 

Any other advice would be appreciated!

 

Hi

Opencart is a pretty good cart to use though their support forum is a tad on the slow side sometimes, i found it to be quite easy to configure and mod and that was with very basic php knowledge.

A good, solid professional ecommerce platform is an investment. If they're not serious about it, point them in the direction of Etsy or something.

 

If they don't accept that you have to spend money on overheads in order to make money they'll be a nightmare client and will make your life hell.

Paypal cart. client only pays if they make sales.

It also allows debit and credit card sales.

Simple and cheap for the creator.

 

If client doesn't can't spend money now, the trade off is they lose a cut of their sales to Paypal.

For something that small WP e-commerce might be a good fit, it's free and straight forward and has the added extra of being wordpress driven which means you have the added functionality of plugins will make your job a lot easier. Especially when it comes to SEO.

From experience, Opencart is excellent.

It can be fully designed to any specification your client gives you with next to no limits from what I've managed, as long as you know CSS and a bit of PHP and HTML.

 

It is free to use and there are loads of extensions and themes available (If you don't want to get your hands dirty) but most of these come with costs.

 

Check it out, I would recommend it.

  • 3 weeks later...

These are either free or really cheap to set-up, but I haven't tried them so I wouldn't know if they're any good. But you may want options, so here goes --

 

sitesell

eCrater

OnlineBusinessClassifieds

InternetBusinessClassifieds

tucktail

Another one for OpenCart here. Good lightweight solution.

  • 4 weeks later...

i will suggest www.magentocommerce.com , this is really cool. it has got different version from open source to hosted model.

 

 

i am running my own website in Magento commerce

  • 2 weeks later...

In my opinion magento is too difficult for a complete beginner.

 

Take a lightweight cart and have them buy a template - install the template. And leave it at that until they give you some money.

If your a beginner I would stay away from Magento. My friend has a T-shirt business on software called http://bigcartel.com/ which has a free version with 5 products and hosting, from there you can upgrade for more products and your own domain.

 

Check out a few websites using the software:

http://www.madebyparachute.com/

http://rappingpaper.co.uk/

 

Good luck

 

Lee

The Magento front facing admin area is too difficult for most clients I know. I did inherit several magento stores in my old job - I literally had clients overwhelmed and confused at how vast and daunting the admin was.

 

For sure - I think it's one of the important things that are overlooked sometimes when building out systems for clients and deciding which CMS to use - how techy the client is, and whether they'll understand it.

 

I believe that's one of the reasons I like OpenCart - although I can't remember cos haven't used it in a while now :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.