Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Avarage wage as webdevolper?

Featured Replies

I was wondering what is the avarage wage as a webdevolper who is then mostly experience all the way up to mySQL?

 

To learn all of those codes is a nice hobby and I can get a job in it as well, when I am more experienced but I am wondering what's the avarage wage as a webdevolper for an age of 22-23?

 

I live in the netherlands so maby some'one got a little of target wage?

 

I'm just to curious.

Your age doesn't matter so much as the number of years experience that you have, and a portfolio of work that you can display.

 

From a UK perspective, I've seen website developer jobs advertised anywhere from around 16k right up to 30k, and beyond if its for a senior position and easily more if its in a capital like London.

 

 

Kyle

  • Author

I really go now from wtf! Awesome :D and they are mostly office time hour as well.

 

Well that's a great bosot to mine motivation to keep on learning.

Don't forget that quality of life/job enjoyment factor as much as the wage. I left a well paid job to do something i preferred purely because life is for living yeahahahah...

 

I agree with that! :) I just need to get out of my job and start living haha

Work for yourself, doing the jobs that you love. Set your own wage, hours, holidays and location. I've worked from home, my bedroom, local coffee shop, a park, beach and pretty much anywhere that I fancied. Sure, I'm not pulling in the money that a Senior web designer of a large London based agency is getting. But why would I want that stress, when the money I'am getting is more than enough

Work for yourself, doing the jobs that you love. Set your own wage, hours, holidays and location. I've worked from home, my bedroom, local coffee shop, a park, beach and pretty much anywhere that I fancied. Sure, I'm not pulling in the money that a Senior web designer of a large London based agency is getting. But why would I want that stress, when the money I'am getting is more than enough

 

I want to do this but how do you take the leap when you have bills?

I want to do this but how do you take the leap when you have bills?

 

Your best bet is to try and secure some clients/work, while your still with your current job, to help ease you through the transition. Saving whatever money you can from your current job would no doubt be a good idea too.

 

Its not easy, and takes a lot of work - you will no doubt be doing more than the 9-5 hours that you (probably?) do now - but the end result will be worth it if working for yourself is what you really want :)

 

 

Kyle

Your best bet is to try and secure some clients/work, while your still with your current job, to help ease you through the transition. Saving whatever money you can from your current job would no doubt be a good idea too.

 

Its not easy, and takes a lot of work - you will no doubt be doing more than the 9-5 hours that you (probably?) do now - but the end result will be worth it if working for yourself is what you really want :)

 

 

Kyle

 

I definitely want to work for myself :) Thankyou

I started working full-time which was an income I could use to pay the bills. It was a web design job too, so I built up the knowledge and invaluable skills needed to run a business such as securing a client and possible advertising streams. Slowly work up a client base, I charged my first clients less and told them I was working full time and it would take a little longer.

 

They often felt I was doing them a favour, when in actual fact it was the other way around. Work your ass off for these clients, no matter how little free time you have. In fact, it goes without saying that you should work 110% for each client, but no matter how good you are, they will appreciate the effort and pass your name on. I made the transition to working for myself when I was running out of free time and having to turn clients down. I realised I would earn more by taking these clients on, then I would by working full time.

 

And what if your business goes tit's up? It's not the end of the world. Even just entertaining the thought is much more than most.

Hey interesting topic,

 

It's nice to see people openly discussing this type of thing. Based on previous research looking for jobs in this type of field I have seen jobs advertised at around 16k-20k for a Junior developer/designer... but they are sometimes based on experience, so you could expect something a little less if you have none, or more if you have tonnes!

 

Regarding the freelance side of things, I haven't had much experience with this but I can imagine that working for yourself would be brilliant, stressful, rewarding and character building because it requires you to be more than just a web developer, you have to be pretty handy at most things.

 

So yeah to sum-up, it really just depends on how good you are and how your company value your skills and input.

 

Woz

At the moment being only 17 and still living at home (My parents house) is allowing to set up a client base and build my skills at the same time so that i can already have a nice wage before i even need to pay bills :)

Edited by SubScriptZero

  • Author

Atm I am diving into Javascript and I learn more every day and the use of it´s manipulating object I love that program[so far]

The current book is sometimes unclear so I need to google it up.

 

PHP mine next step to dive in when I can manipulate javascript.

 

w3schools suck. to less information that's for sure.

 

Hope to become an expert webprogrammeur in html,css,javascript,php and mysql.

 

Am kinda addicted.

Edited by kensha

How much you get paid depends heavily on your portfolio, your skills (what software you know, what languages you know, any additional skills) and the company that hired you. Some companies have strict budget thus they cannot afford to pay much, then there are companies so put aside a large budget for designers. When I worked with a software company as their creative director, I did some hiring. That's primarily what we based our payment table on. If you're a higher op, you get paid more than if you're a entry level or mid level designer.

As with any job in any sector, there is no rigid pay structure. I've seen jobs advertised at around 16k a year, to 40/50k.

 

A few key things such as experience, strength of portfolio and the specialist requirements needed for the job can all alter the wage you'll be getting.

 

Entry level positions usually start off between 16,000 and 20,000 a year. You'll be asked to design and make basic websites using HTML/CSS/JavaScript.

 

The next level i've seen is for someone that can provide server side scripting such as PHP/ASP.net and the like. Usually start off at around the 21,000 upwards to 28,000. However, the more money, the more you'll be expected to do, such as the SEO of the website and data inputting.

 

Senior Designer is where you want to be at, running a team of designer and coders, whilst still pulling your weight on projects. These tend to be around the 28,000 and 30,000 mark and increase with experience, job expectation, clients you'll be working with and the company you work for.

 

All that is opinion and based simply on what I've seen around these parts, in the UK.

 

Other factors could be;

 

How long have you been at the company

What clients have you worked with before (Your contact book could be very valuable to them)

What companies have you worked with before

 

But, basing it on the fact that you will have a few years experience, you have a medium-strength portfolio and you have good skills then i'd say around the 20,000 and 22,000 mark. ish. maybe? I don't really want to say as I could be way off the mark, but you wanted an answer.

 

 

All this is in the UK by the way

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.