Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Am I too old to become a web designer?

Featured Replies

Nope, your not to old. I know a guy who is in his mid 40's and a taxi driver. He started doing web design at around 40 :)

 

~All the best to you

sorry mate, if you're asking questions like "am I too old to do this" then you are. people with any kind of drive or motivation wouldn't need to ask such questions. they'd just do it, one way or another. the problems not your age, its your perception.

 

Not every one has the confidence to just go out and there and do it and some people wonder "what if it fails?"

Edited by Beavy

Since posting this am now working as a web designer.

 

Being older definatly helped me get the job!

 

Congratulations!

I´m 37 and i feel younger as the days goes by. :)

Well done tonychang for finding a job. As I'm 49 this year I have to say that I don't think age should be a barrier for anything.As long as you're willing to learn and admit when you're wrong! (Obviously talent and skill are are prerequisite).

I guess it depends what kind of contracts you're going for. If you clients say "duuuuude" a lot or speak in a fake American Gangster patois, maybe they're shallow enough to care about age? Some "know it all" bosses can be like this as well, still stuck in the days where they think all web designers/developers have to be young and fresh out a computer science degree.

 

By the way - pippin - I like your avatar pic, what's the story behind that? Is that something you knocked up?

By the way - pippin - I like your avatar pic, what's the story behind that? Is that something you knocked up?

 

LOL. That image comes from a poster designed by Peter Saville for the first Factory Records event in 1978. You can see the poster here.

Having discovered an interest in web design over a year ago (during a period of redundancy) at the ripe old age of 39 I would like to persue it as a career but wonder if perhaps I may be a bit too old.

I'm looking for an entry level job but wonder if it would be difficult as potential employers and colleagues will be much younger than me.

I'm really interested in learning to become a competent commercial designer but sadly dont have so much spare time anymore to practice and learn. I sampled the educational route ( I have a btec level 3 bla bla bla)and learnt nothing I hadnt taught myself already.

So my question is at 40 would it be possible to get into this line of work without starting up on my own? (been there, done that)

 

cheers

t.c.

 

Many successful people start out when they're around your age. As long as you're interested, nothing can stop you from doing what you want! All the best!

 

Patrick

So my question is at 40 would it be possible to get into this line of work without starting up on my own? (been there, done that)

 

 

I have made probably about 6 or 7 websites over the years without really knowing what I am doing. It is only recently that my knowledge improved a little and I feel confident about approaching potential clients.

 

I'm 38.

You are never too old to do something new. Those who tell you other wise don't have the guts to learn something new and thus they try to discourage you. If you want to learn web-design, go for it. There are many wonderful sites with great tutorials; read them.

 

Side note - Please don't take this as an encouragement to go bungee-jumping if you have serious (or any kinds of) health issues.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.