October 26, 201015 yr Hi Everyone, I was just wondering how you deal with your clients who constantly email you whenever there is any internet related issue. To put it into context, a. one of my clients contacted me on skype and asked me why her emails werent sending, after about ten minutes checking server and settings, I managed to get out of her that she was in a bar and not even in her office, I couldn't believe this client is so dumb, she thinks I control the internet all around the world. b. one of my clients has not renewed their domain name, and of course now wants to blame me, as much as she is trying to blame me, she knows in her heart its her domain, registered to her email, and its her responsibility to keep an eye on these things. So,,,,,,,, how would you deal with these kind of clients, do you say, right, you want yearly support costing you x, or do you say x amount for each email/phone support. This is why people like PC world charge £1 a minute for telephone tech support, so monkeys like these clients, dont think you are their 24 hour tech support monkey for free. Whats your thoughts. Tobes
October 26, 201015 yr Apart from high paying clients, you could offer normal support within working hours. Or you should only offer support if they have a maintenance plan with you. Just saw your web address, if you are in the server business, isn't support a major part? Isn't email related problems your concern? The domain name thing is the clients problem. Just tell them and leave it.
October 26, 201015 yr I offer clients support when designing / hosting their website. Some clients pay to have support and I prioritise these clients and try and help with any issues they have. Often, this generally includes certain problems that have nothing to do with me, but I try and help to keep them sweet. Clients that don't pay for support I tell them they may have to wait longer, I won't help them with their own IT issues and often just point them in the right direction rather than fix the problem. Unless of course it is a problem with their website and my fault. I think in your cost you should include some sort of support charge, so clients know whether or not they are supported and maybe have guidelines as to where you will and will not help? I try and be flexible with what I help clients with, but this may possibly become a bad thing one day when I have more clients, more problems etc.
October 27, 201015 yr I saw this as an issue from already working in a tech support role. People will bleed you dry if you let them. So I say from the out set "when I have designed the website do with it as you will, if you think you need help I'll host it and support you for x a month." A big bonus is a steady income.
November 3, 201015 yr Author Hi guys, Thanks for your replies, and also sorry it took me some time to reply, I am in the throws of emigrating back home from Bulgaria to the UK I agree that I need to make my role more clear, and need to highlight my prices more clearly to clients. My company indeed is called Vibration Servers, but until now I have not charged a client for hosting, doh, but as soon as Im settled back home, this will be rectified, my problem seems to be as soon as I do even a small job for a client they seem to abuse my decency and think £200 of work also includes 24 hour 365 day support Do any of you want to share your prices for support? I know if you call PC worlds tech support line its £1 a minute, I dont think my clients know how lucky they are dealing with me. Thanks for your thoughts, I look forward to reading more views from other members. Tobes
Create an account or sign in to comment