Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lowering my bounce rate

Featured Replies

Has anyone got suggestions to lower the bounce rate on my site?

 

I was thinking about having a other categories. For example in the bubble it would say 'web designers by skill or by area' and arrows pointing towards the each.

 

Then in the skills I have thought of these categories:

 

Cheap Web Design

Ecommerce Web Design

Dynamic sites / Blogs

Bespoke Web Design

Freelance Designers

 

Link

Has anyone got suggestions to lower the bounce rate on my site?

 

I was thinking about having a other categories. For example in the bubble it would say 'web designers by skill or by area' and arrows pointing towards the each.

 

Then in the skills I have thought of these categories:

 

Cheap Web Design

Ecommerce Web Design

Dynamic sites / Blogs

Bespoke Web Design

Freelance Designers

 

Link

 

The link isn't loading for me - fix that and you'll see lower bounce rates!

I think you need to sell your site to visitors much more. First thing my eye landed on when I loaded the page was the google ad. Then the other ads on the right. I see there's some text explaining the site on the left, but it's got very poor contrast, is small, and doesn't catch my eye at all. Plus is looks like a lot to read, or like small print. Consider having a prominent module or box stating what the site can do for the visitor. Something like 'We can put you in touch with paying clients in your area - sign up now!' and 'Looking for a professional web designer in your area? -> search box (search by area).

 

At the moment it all looks too cramped and a little disorganised.

  • Author

I think you need to sell your site to visitors much more. First thing my eye landed on when I loaded the page was the google ad. Then the other ads on the right. I see there's some text explaining the site on the left, but it's got very poor contrast, is small, and doesn't catch my eye at all. Plus is looks like a lot to read, or like small print. Consider having a prominent module or box stating what the site can do for the visitor. Something like 'We can put you in touch with paying clients in your area - sign up now!' and 'Looking for a professional web designer in your area? -> search box (search by area).

 

At the moment it all looks too cramped and a little disorganised.

 

Thats the kind of feedback I was after. Sometimes it gets quite hard when you have been working on it for so long.

 

If anyone else has any suggestions, it would be appreciated.

http://www.squarespace.com/

 

take a look at this, it's a good example of less is more. Try replacing your skills list with a list of icons perhaps - maybe replace the location list with a google map api/search

I have to say Neil, I still think an optimised homepage without the lists would be nicer and a search bar more prominent to make up for there being no list would be helpful.

 

look at the following sites that are all directories:

 

http://www.scoot.co.uk/

http://www.onlinebizdirectory.com/

http://www.touchlocal.com/

http://www.touchlocal.com/

 

Most of them are quite nice to look at the home page, with very little clutter. You will notice the good and bad ones straight off. Where is your call to action?

 

As Not Banksy said, I think there is too much going on. Lots of Ads, which doesn't look too professional given that your text is harder to read. It is good to have the anchor text, if it is good and the people landin on your site will read it.

 

As I have suggested before, why not also have links and tips updating on one of those columns? So the home page is also always updating if you stick with a similiar format.

 

:)

  • 3 weeks later...

Besides using other promotional tools, you must also concentrate on the quality of the content. Content should be attractive enough and informative so that the visitors find interest to read those and in turn increase the stick time and decrease the bounce rate. :spiteful:

  • Author

Besides using other promotional tools, you must also concentrate on the quality of the content. Content should be attractive enough and informative so that the visitors find interest to read those and in turn increase the stick time and decrease the bounce rate. :spiteful:

 

My directory has lots of content and has much of its success due to that reason. We already have an advice section for web designers and businesses looking for web designers.

 

I agree with you, content is king!

  • 2 weeks later...

How about your traffic? The quality of your visitor must be as best as possible too. I would say that visitors from organic searches are the best.

  • Jo 90 locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.