Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The new Rawkes is a go for lift-off

Featured Replies

Hi guys,

 

Sorry I've been so inactive of late, I have a hundred and one things that need doing in my life right now. The second year of university accounts for most of that, I see what people mean by the second year being the hardest!

 

In my spare time I've been working on the new Rawkes website, which is a massive change from the old one. The new site focusses purely on blogging and my experimentation, I've dropped freelancing completely.

 

Some things you should know about the new site:

 

  • It uses HTML 5 and CSS 3 exclusively
  • I used Compass (SASS) to build the stylesheets
  • The header is animated with JavaScript and Canvas, not Flash

 

This is just the beginning, I'm sure there are plenty of niggling bugs (the header only rotates on blog pages) but I needed to get something out into the real world so I can move on.

 

If you're interested I wrote a blog post about the relaunch which goes into more detail.

 

Check it out and I'd love to hear what you think about it all.

 

Rob over and out.

Hi guys,

 

Sorry I've been so inactive of late, I have a hundred and one things that need doing in my life right now. The second year of university accounts for most of that, I see what people mean by the second year being the hardest!

 

In my spare time I've been working on the new Rawkes website, which is a massive change from the old one. The new site focusses purely on blogging and my experimentation, I've dropped freelancing completely.

 

Some things you should know about the new site:

 

  • It uses HTML 5 and CSS 3 exclusively
  • I used Compass (SASS) to build the stylesheets
  • The header is animated with Javascript and Canvas, not Flash

 

This is just the beginning, I'm sure there are plenty of niggling bugs (the header only rotates on blog pages) but I needed to get something out into the real world so I can move on.

 

If you're interested I wrote a blog post about the relaunch which goes into more detail.

 

Check it out and I'd love to hear what you think about it all.

 

Rob over and out.

 

All i want to say is...

 

 

damn you are good!

  • Author

Thanks guys. Do you have any constructive comments about how I could improve the website in any way?

Not really

 

*bows down

 

:hi:

 

*if it aint broke dont fix it. Be happy with your skills, keep learning and bask in your glory. :):good:

Loving it as always... But would maybe put a Search: in the nav next to the box so people know what it is...

Really cool design!

 

My 0.000p - I think it would better for usability if you add some submit button for Search interface.

IMHO, mountains have lack of some volume. This easy to correct with slight gradient or almost transparent brush or with something like that - I guess you know it better than me.

 

You are great, Rob! Keep it up!

Thanks guys. Do you have any constructive comments about how I could improve the website in any way?

You already made an improvement by changing your CMS ;)

  • Author

Loving it as always... But would maybe put a Search: in the nav next to the box so people know what it is...

 

Really cool design!

 

My 0.000p - I think it would better for usability if you add some submit button for Search interface.

IMHO, mountains have lack of some volume. This easy to correct with slight gradient or almost transparent brush or with something like that - I guess you know it better than me.

 

You are great, Rob! Keep it up!

A few people have brought up the search box so I'll definitely be putting it down on my things to watch. The main issue is browser compatibility, I'm using a positively Mac only search code at the moment.

 

 

You already made an improvement by changing your CMS ;)

Thanks Rob! I absolutely love EE and the power and flexibility it gives you. WordPress seems like a child's toy in comparison. The new version is out today which I'm going to be upgrading to asap.

is the animation just when you go to the archive. I'm looking in chrome and sometimes it goes a bit funky. The rocket does a little jump before it takes off.

 

Apart from that everything as always is excellent.

Thanks Rob! I absolutely love EE and the power and flexibility it gives you. WordPress seems like a child's toy in comparison. The new version is out today which I'm going to be upgrading to asap.

 

That sounds as if you've "sEEn the light ;)

 

Don't be in a rush to upgrade to 2.0, it's still in Beta and still has a few bugs to be squashed - I should know, I've been a beta tester for the last 6 months!

wow, that's an impressive site! Loving the rotating world and rocket feature (especially because of my business name!)

The twitter xmas monitor is a great piece of work too.

Keep up the good work!:clapping:

  • Author

is the animation just when you go to the archive. I'm looking in chrome and sometimes it goes a bit funky. The rocket does a little jump before it takes off.

 

Apart from that everything as always is excellent.

I'll keep an eye on the animation in other browsers. I've done testing but perhaps I missed something.

 

That sounds as if you've "sEEn the light ;)

 

Don't be in a rush to upgrade to 2.0, it's still in Beta and still has a few bugs to be squashed - I should know, I've been a beta tester for the last 6 months!

But it looks so pretty and has all the features I want that aren't in 1.6.8; proper file management, CodeIgniter, etc. I'll upgrade on my dev environment first and see how it all looks.

 

wow, that's an impressive site! Loving the rotating world and rocket feature (especially because of my business name!)

The twitter xmas monitor is a great piece of work too.

Keep up the good work!:clapping:

Thank you! Everyone loves a good rocket ;) They'll be plenty more Twitter / Arduino related stuff on the site in the future.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.