Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Google Fade

Featured Replies

Anyone else noticed Google's homepage now fades in on mousemove? What benefit does this give the user? To be honest I just find it really annoying and find myself waiting for the rest of the page to load :\

 

BenTheDesigner

Anyone else noticed Google's homepage now fades in on mousemove? What benefit does this give the user? To be honest I just find it really annoying and find myself waiting for the rest of the page to load :\

 

BenTheDesigner

 

Got a screenshot? That doesn't appear to be happening here.

I get the mouseover, really though I don't see anything annoying about it.

 

In Firefox it work, make sure you go to a proper google homepage not using a search bar etc..

 

Tested in Chrome and Safari and nothing happens.

I get the mouseover, really though I don't see anything annoying about it.

 

In Firefox it work, make sure you go to a proper google homepage not using a search bar etc..

 

Tested in Chrome and Safari and nothing happens.

 

What version of Firefox did you test it on? It didn't work in Firefox here, but there again, I'm on OS X.

  • Author

Seems to have disappeared now =S... Was in Firefox 3.5.3 on PC, didn't test on the Mac. I didn't see what added benefit users would receive, seems Google felt that way too haha.

 

BenTheDesigner

Fades for me now in Firefox 3.5.3 BenTheDesigner, but wasn't yesterday.....strange...

  • 3 weeks later...

Weird. If you type www.google.co.uk into the address bar (IE) and press Enter (i.e. don't touch the mouse at all) google.co.uk loads with a message below the search box that says "This space intentionally left blank". When you move the mouse, links and buttons then fade into view. Can't replicate the behaviour in Chrome or Firefox or when accessing www.google.com. WTF is that all about?? And more importantly, why do I even care??

 

post-15654-125690357379_thumb.jpg

Anyone else noticed Google's homepage now fades in on mousemove? What benefit does this give the user? To be honest I just find it really annoying and find myself waiting for the rest of the page to load :\

 

BenTheDesigner

 

I have only just started seeing this and the date is 30th Oct 2009

 

My Twitter

  • Author

Hi

 

Apparently it's a new feature Google are integrating to make people aware they can just press Enter rather than clicking...

 

article_photo1.jpg

 

Pointless, and it's not like they need to raise awareness... Don't really get it... Oh well.

 

BenTheDesigner

  • 2 weeks later...

I think it looks good :) despite its lack of meaning lol

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.