November 7, 200718 yr Hi, I suppose I am a freelancer, somebody contacted me to design a site, we agreed a price and now it is nearly finished. What I would like to include is a .txt file which works as a contract. Reading through some of the topics on here it is a hot topic but any help would be appreciated. If anyone has a sample could they please pm me. There was really no spec, he just asked me to design something. I could license it as a creative commons but would I need client's agreement beforehand? I not not mind if others add or worl on it after Also included in the site are some graphics. What I would like here is a contract stating here is that if he uses them with the website then it is £x and if he uses them elsewhere (business card ,etc) the it will cost £y. Any such contracts exist. I am being paid through PayPal, will this make a difference?
November 7, 200718 yr Author Shouldn't a contact be agreed beforehand? Probably. We agreed a price through email after he told me what he needed, he wants something done quick. I don't think his is concerned about a contract but I just need something that accredits the work to me.
November 7, 200718 yr Like DesignArrow said, this should have been sorted and agreed before you did any work. Has he paid anything yet? The way I see it is, if he hasnt paid anything then your work is yours. Make sure you agree on how he can use the work you have done before you accept any payment off him. If he has paid you then I'd say he has an argument to say all the work is his as you were working for him when you did it.
November 7, 200718 yr Also, isn't the fact that you agreed the price through email some sort of proof already of your agreement, albeit very loose, even though you're a bit late in the day for signing contracts? Even so - you should still do this contract thing before it's fully completed to protect both parties.
November 7, 200718 yr Author No Payment has been made yet. What I really want is something where the designed by Me footer is not removed, he can redesign all he wants but the original work must be accredited to me. Regarding the graphics, does anybody know of any type of contract I can use. Thanks for all the help.
November 7, 200718 yr well, if the clients paying for it they really shoudnt have to have your info in the footer since they are paying for it.
November 13, 200718 yr Says who? I would charge a LOT extra not to have my link in their footer. There are a couple of web design contracts out there that you can download and customise to your own requirements, there are a few links to them if you do a search on the forum
November 14, 200718 yr What I really want is something where the designed by Me footer is not removed, he can redesign all he wants but the original work must be accredited to me. I'm really curious about this. Like Neuro, I demand (nicely! ) that I receive footer credit for work that I do; it is even written into the contract. However, I would be afraid to let someone go crazy redesigning a site and still have my name attached to it. You never know what they're going to do, and it might make you look like a bad designer at the end of the day (because the newer, might-be-crappier design is still attributed to you). That area of my contract reads like this (pulled from a non-profit job I did earlier this year): PUBLICATION: The Client may publish or disclose information regarding the Work and shall acknowledge the support of Consultant Company in all such publications. The Client will not remove copyright and/or designer credit from the completed Work without the prior written approval of Consultant. Says who? I would charge a LOT extra not to have my link in their footer. Out of curiosity, Neuro, has this ever been a problem for you (either people not wanting your name in the footer or clients balking at, "Without my name is $1,000 more")?
December 10, 200718 yr I am a freelancer, somebody contacted me to design a site, we agreed a price and now it is nearly finished. What I would like to include is a .txt file which works as a contract.................. I could license it as a creative commons but would I need client's agreement beforehand? I not not mind if others add or worl on it after Also included in the site are some graphics. What I would like here is a contract stating here is that if he uses them with the website then it is £x and if he uses them elsewhere (business card ,etc) the it will cost £y. Any such contracts exist. I would use a [Web Design Contract Agreement; - this one gives you two options on intellectual property rights (depending on what you're charging your client for). - It either gives all ownership of copyright etc to the client, based on them paying a higher fee; or leaves the copyright with you and the client has a licence to use the design in their business. You won't find a contract template that fits your circumstances exactly, so I would add in a section for your graphics with costs for usage as you describe above. I would suggest adding in the clause that Expat629 mentions by default. It will help publicise your business and improve your search engine rankings. If a client doesn't like it, you can always discuss it, but if you don't ask at all you won't get that chance... You should be fine, but if you're struggling, speak to a lawyer to draft a contract to fit your situation. Good luck, K
December 21, 200718 yr I'm really curious about this. Like Neuro, I demand (nicely! ) that I receive footer credit for work that I do; it is even written into the contract. However, I would be afraid to let someone go crazy redesigning a site and still have my name attached to it. You never know what they're going to do, and it might make you look like a bad designer at the end of the day (because the newer, might-be-crappier design is still attributed to you). That area of my contract reads like this (pulled from a non-profit job I did earlier this year): PUBLICATION: The Client may publish or disclose information regarding the Work and shall acknowledge the support of Consultant Company in all such publications. The Client will not remove copyright and/or designer credit from the completed Work without the prior written approval of Consultant. Out of curiosity, Neuro, has this ever been a problem for you (either people not wanting your name in the footer or clients balking at, "Without my name is $1,000 more")? To be honest I've never had any real problems, one person mentioned it and I informed them that they would not ask Da Vinci to wipe the signature off his painting, because it would devalue it, and give him no credit. He didnt argue much thankfully, but I may add a clause in my contract to cover this!
Create an account or sign in to comment