Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

FoxIII

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by FoxIII

  1. I agree to, but if you have purchase the add-on's, and you are not going to go over the number of add-on's you have purchased (don't give away two of a addon if you have only purchased one), I personally can't see a problem. They still get their money, the advertising and the customer; and I haven't come across a company that hasn't been happy with such a competition. Don't forget to make it fair though! But have you thought about the laws that may be applicable? For example, in the uk we have the Lotteries & gamings laws.
  2. I have seen that when designing our sites, it is better to use text links at the bottom of the page using descriptive names so that search engines will pick them up, and to "rel=no follow" the links for graphical navigation. Okay, that's fine, but I've come across a choice and, not being good with making choices (or am I?) I thought I would ask here... Obviously it is easier to do the text links to all the pages at the bottom of each page using php and include-ing (my pref method) from an external php file so I only have to make any changes to one file rather than each individual page. I'm happy with that. But then, I thought of... As it's not good to have a link for a page that is being displayed (a link to index.php when on index.php) so we use rel=nofollow. Only thing is, does this matter really? If so, how do I use this one php file and rel=nofollow the relevant page that it is on based on the same link for that particular page? I'm not too fussed at the minute, as I only have three pages, but now that I've worked out how to do something I've been stuck on for a couple of months this number is gonna increase a lot. CIA (Cheers In Advance)
  3. I hadn't, no. But I just have and I still get nothing displayed.
  4. I'm getting a bit confused with this one. Purely because I don't seem to find anything that shows how to cover the following in any shape or form! What I am trying to do, is read a .txt file into an array. This bit I am okay with; $lines = file('mytextfile.txt'); Now. I can get my php file to produce a list of the $lines of the file using; foreach ($lines as $line_num => $line) { echo "Line #<b>{$line_num}</b> : " . htmlspecialchars($line) . "\n"; To give me a list of the individual lines which are separated by '\n' and to give them line numbers. This is not what I want though. What I am trying to do is get $lines and use each one in a separate place in my php file. I have tried; echo ($line[0]); But this does not produce the required effect. If I use; $line(); I get the required effect, but I am unsure as to how to refer to the individual lines in the array. Using; $line(0); just gives me a fatal error. Just for reference, I have in the text file, a total of four lines (defined by '/n'). Two of which are code and the other two being just text.
  5. Hey fairy! I'm fairly new to the forum too, but have learned a lot and the advice is very productive. Hope you enjoy your stay and, welcome!
  6. Right. I have been working on the spacing/code issues and I'm also trying to work on the design of the site, but I'm a bit stuck. You can compare the sites. Currently using; http://www.topdvdstore.info and the one I'm working on is; http://www.topdvdstore.info/tempy/ I'm trying to find some colours that compliment each other, but without making it too dark. I have been searching online with the different colour maps and colour scheme creators, but I'm at a loss as I don't particular like the colours they suggest as they are too dark and I don't even know where to use them! Anyhoo, I have tried changing the colour of the menu on the left to compliment the filmstrip. The logo hasn't been touched yet as I don't even know what to do with that. Any advice would greatly appreciated!
  7. I vote no! Only because it's an animation and I would want to be able to actually PLAY pong. It's not a very big game - surely it can be done!
  8. FoxIII replied to gem's topic in General Chat
    Anything with more than 4 legs or less than 2. Oh, and people freak me out too, but I don't think it's as bad as a phobia.
  9. Being on linux I'm going to wait. Then when you lot are bored of it, it'll be new to me But I do have one question... Why don't we just give google the world on a plate?
  10. Trilbies have made a comeback! And gone again. lol. That was very 2007... On a more themed note. I want to see horizontal websites confusing us full of blue/red flashing banners. Well, maybe not the banners then. But certainly a trend towards pastels and bad design I think. That will SO make my site look modern and cool. Didn't know black was the new white. I knew that pink was the new black. Perhaps bad web design could be retro? Like the rubix cube or nightclubs with flashing floor panels.
  11. I see. Well as far as I can tell, it seems like a fad. Yes, there's the whole problem of the mouse, which as mentioned could be got around, but it is certainly different.
  12. So I'm attempting to play around with the design on my site, but I seem to have hit a snag which I am absolutely baffled by! I have a background that going from the top, goes dark to light. I then have 3 columns where I am attempting to put another background in which, going from the top, goes light to dark. Now I did have this working at one point and obviously I've changed something, but I cannot for the life of me get this second background to display. The Background Issue. Any help would be gratefully received as I've been trying to solve this for the past four hours! EDIT: Er, just realised that this might be in the wrong board. Soz if it is!
  13. Uhm. I have just got around to looking at the issues relating to my website, but I have no idea how to begin! Is there somewhere where I can learn how to review errors and such and begin dealing with these? Or can anyone offer any tips, guidance or links that may help? TIA
  14. Thank you for your comments! It looks like I'm gonna have to switch over to windows for a bit and test these things out. I keep forgetting about testing in different browsers. I shall certainly take a look at the errors and spacing and then see if I can improve the design to make it look a bit less bland. Dizi, yes I have the right to use Amazon's graphics. I'm an associate member which allows me to use them - they even tell you how to place it on your own site However, you have given me food for thought. I am almost 100% certain I am doing everything they ask, but it wouldn't hurt to go over their terms and conditions again, I'm sure. Thanks again. I'll post once I've done some more to it, but still open for critics in the meantime
  15. Er, anyone have a link to a horizontal website? I haven't actually come across any I don't think.
  16. Hey all. I thought I would take the plunge in at the deep end and offer my website up for critique. (lol) Anyhoo, some info... I know the content is lacking as I'm currently working on that offline. What I really need help with is the design aspect - I have NO design skills at all and everything I read about what to use, not to use, what I could/should/must have/not have is just very confusing for one with no graphical abilities. The site started out as just plain html, and now I have managed to learn some CSS and use that. I am also going to convert the site over to PHP. It will still be basic to begin with, but I thought that it would be a good idea to start as I mean to go on. It hopefully will make it easier in the future to develop the site further. The site is also earning a little money. Nothing to get excited about (well, I do) but it's certainly going in the right direction. And I know it doesn't actually mean anything, but my Alexa ranking as gone from over 15,000,000 to 3,500,000 which is more for giving me a nice warm feeling inside than taking it as important. Unless it is? Without further ado... Top DVD Store
  17. I'm currently battling with Virgin Media myself. They cancelled my account for no reason. I couldn't change any details as they were 'upgrading their computer systems' and had no fallback system (don't get that bit. Bad business if you ask me) and now they're writing to me to tell me that they haven't been able to collect payment. On top of all of this, they sent the letter to my old address AFTER I told them my new address! As you can imagine, I'm not with them now. Oh, and I was supposed to have an 8Mb line and I was lucky if I could get speeds over 75Kbs!
  18. Ah, I was gonna say 'THE' but it's been said. So I'll say 'AND' and 'NOT'. Also a couple of things I remember from school days; There's no H in H I before E except after C, their's an exception.
  19. FoxIII replied to MikeGC's topic in General Chat
    Last film I saw was Breathing Room. Although the base story line has been done before (haven't they all?) it is done in a slightly different way and with a twist at the end, really makes you think. I enjoyed the film. Apart from that, nothing new.
  20. Wow! Thanks for the replies all! I have already picked up a few tips just since yesterday. This is a very informative and active forum which is great!
  21. As I have recently had the whole 'code it yourself/wysiwyg' argument with myself (yes. I'm that sad just thought I would give my take on it. I agree with everyone above! It's immensely better not using wysiwyg editors. But just one extra point - all you need is your text editor and your browser. Save changes in text editor, refresh browser, done!
  22. Hey all. Just joined and thought I would say hi. The name's Daniel. Been on the internet for years, but finally getting around to (hopefully) running a website and earning a little money from it. I suppose I would class myself as a beginner, but I'm picking up this CSS millarky pretty well. Hopefully anyhoo. So, yeah. That's me in a nutshell!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.