Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

andys

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by andys

  1. Honestly, I'd just use bigger images then do width: 99%; height:auto;, also make sure those images are the same aspect ratio as the container they're filling. Also, I see you're using wordpress, just wondering how you got those images boxes then links to child pages? Are they a custom post type?
  2. Posts like these do not help anyone. @OP You need to work on your grid system somewhat, so things aren't constantly hugging the left site of the screen with each successive breakpoint.
  3. I'm still confused as to why the contact form opens in a new window. It looks like you don't know how to make a contact form so you've used some template but couldn't figure out how to put it on your page. You really shouldn't be offering 'web development' services when you can't make a contact form.
  4. This from a moderator? Perhaps you should explain why you feel this way? @OP Your logo looks like the playstation logo.
  5. Falling that way must of hurt. Why not use google fonts? They work in IE.
  6. Lose the silly picture, it's hilarious. Hilarity isn't the look you should be going for though when trying to sell things to people.
  7. Looks fantastic, provides all the relevant information and the colour scheme seems to work.
  8. Why does the contact form open in a new window? Also, the site isn't great, in fact it beggars belief you'd charge anything for websites. Do a few for free to expand your knowledge and portfolio first.
  9. The layout is fine, but some of the design elements are very 1998, the 'woah big shiny everything' going on, the drop shadows, the garish colours everywhere etc.
  10. Trying to chase the floating buttons with the cursor pissed me off. Instead of asking yourself if you 'can' do something that you think is 'cool', you should probably ask yourself if you should do it, especially when it's an obstacle to user experience.
  11. What's with people listing site urls as sitename(DOT)co(DOT)uk around here? Just post the links.
  12. Looks good so far.
  13. Well I certainly see your point, ACF certainly looks interesting.
  14. I don't want you to think that I'm arguing with you, I really do appreciate your help of course. I just don't understand what an 'atomic' piece of content is, nor do I like using plugins.
  15. I really don't see why this is the 'wrong' way to do it, it's incredibly simple for the end user too.
  16. I pulled it off with custom post types <?php query_posts(array( 'post_type' => 'Headerhome', 'showposts' => 1 ) ); ?> <?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?> <p><?php echo get_the_content(); ?></p> <?php endwhile; wp_reset_query();?> // Add new post type for homepage add_action('init', 'frontpage_top_init'); function frontpage_top_init() { $args = array( 'label' => __('Homepage - Header Text'), 'singular_label' => __('Homepage - Header Text'), 'public' => true, 'publicly_queryable' => true, 'show_ui' => true, 'query_var' => true, 'rewrite' => true, 'capability_type' => 'post', 'hierarchical' => false, 'menu_position' => 5, 'supports' => array('editor') ); register_post_type('Headerhome',$args); } This allows me to post into content areas from the backend.
  17. Ok, here's a rough picture to illustrate then. http://i.imgur.com/cmmDH.png Area's in green would be text area's, custom post types that would be editable. Textured area is just static content, an image perhaps. That's got to be possible... Like at the moment, I don't even know how to output the 'loop', if i copy/paste the index.php into one of my templates no posts are shown.
  18. So you're saying that Wordpress literally can't do what I want? I find that hard to believe.
  19. Well what it'd be is a text area, for example a brief description of what I do. Then further down another text area that's a different post type, both certainly 'part' of the page. Just so I can put specific content into specific area's of the page. I honestly thought this was what a CMS was for, maybe I missed something. I just want all(or as many as realistically possible) area's of the site editable without knowledge of how to code html.
  20. Well I ideally want to have multiple parts of each page that are editable, just text, I'll get into the more complicated stuff later. @mr ben Well, they are custom page templates that are blank anyway, I had planned to style each one individually and have a 'news' page with the main posts section there that allows comments etc. The rest of the site I just want to be editable from the backend, no comments or archives or single page links etc.
  21. I'm still confused, perhaps I'm just slow, but this seems overly complex. Firstly, I don't want my custom post types to have an archive or anything, I just want an area on the site where I can post say a description or a block of text. I don't want comments or permalinks to those 'posts' on the 'Pages' templates, I basically want an editable region that can be updated via the backend. After hours of reading the codex, tutorials and watching video guides on wordpress, I still can't seem to 'get it'. So, I add a new post 'type' in the functions.php, then what? I create custom wordpress loop with that post types name as the query and then it'll appear on my template page? Urgh... I almost feel like I should apologise, I'm a complete idiot sometimes.
  22. Uh, I'm so confused... So to get posts to show up on pages I need to create yet another .php file, I can't just put them directly onto the template page where I want? @Mr ben. Thanks, I know how to add a title to the array, I just don't want a title, I just want an area I can post text, nothing else. You'd think that'd be easy to do, apparently not!
  23. If you're really serious about web design, you'll put away the drag and drop editors and learn to write HTML and css. Though it may seem daunting at first, it really isn't at all difficult. After that you can get to grips with the iniquities of javascript libraries 'joy' of PHP and other server side code. As a site, it's as good as my first website(though I hand coded that), a valiant effort one might say, but still not great for the reasons others have outlined. Don't go looking for wordpress themes to install and use either, that's not learning nor is it benefitting you as a designer at all. Nettuts and lynda.com have great courses, or there's plenty of tutorials out there on google to get you started. Pro-tip - start by learning about different html tags, what they're used for and where to use them, then move on to CSS (learn these both in tandem). CSS - start by learning about positioning, the absolute most important thing in CSS, after that everything else will fall into place.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.