Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AblazeRich

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by AblazeRich

  1. Hi All, I have a client who wishes to have a mailing list added to their website. They want the emails to be automatically saved into a database, which can then be easily used with some kind of email out facility. Either their existing email, or otherwise. I've never done anything like this before, and would massively appreciate any information from more experienced members. Like; How do these things usually work? Where to start? What software to use?; Is there good 'off the shelf' software, that you can more or less plug and play into a bespoke Classic ASP website? The current contact form is at http://www.mason-uk.co.uk/contact.asp At this stage we are thinking of adding a 'opt in' tick box, but open to other ideas. Thanks in Advance Rich
  2. Hi All, I have a client who wishes to have a mailing list added to their website. They want the emails to be automatically saved into a database, which can then be easily used with some kind of email out facility. Either their existing email, or otherwise. I've never done anything like this before, and would massively appreciate any information from more experienced members. Like; How do these things usually work? Where to start? What software to use?; Is there good 'off the shelf' software, that you can more or less plug and play into a bespoke Classic ASP website? The current contact form is at http://www.mason-uk.co.uk/contact.asp At this stage we are thinking of adding a 'opt in' tick box, but open to other ideas. Thanks in Advance Rich
  3. For instance I am currently trying to work out what font is being used for the Heading Tags on this wordpress website: http://phoenixayahuasca.com/services-retreats/book-a-retreat/#.UmruknCsiSp When I use the Inspect Element tool in Google Chrome, it tells me Georgia, but I'm pretty sure its not. I click about but I cant see any other options. Is there another way to use this Inspect Element tool that I'm not grasping? Cos a lot of the time I can't find the information I'm looking for there (although sometimes it is)
  4. Yes but I have a hard time working out what CSS is affecting it sometimes, and also sometimes the bit I'm looking for doesn't seem to be there.
  5. Thanks Mate! That worked! Well I kinda put my own version of what you said in the Wordpress over ride CSS (if you know what I mean, not sure what its officially called)/ .contact-form input[type='email'] { display: block; } .post .text { float: none; min-height: 10px; }
  6. Thanks, How do I remove items in the CSS when I am using their 'overide' CSS
  7. Hi All, I'm a newcomer (and late comer) to Wordpress, but I have a client that has a website started in wordpress. I am trying to get to grips with it and mostly have. I installed Jetpack and the contact form bit within that. When I try to build the booking form (which has A LOT of fields), it comes out all scrambled. Not sure what's going on with it. I tried putting each field into a paragraph, but it doesn't seem to have helped. Some boxes are missing and others are the wrong variety. http://phoenixayahuasca.com/services-retreats/book-a-retreat/#.UmkdcHCsiSp What would you guys suggest? I worked out how to overide the built in CSS with my own CSS, do you think that could be a way to solve this? Or is the contact form code I'm using likely to be conflicting with something else? Perhaps there is a better contact form plugin I can use for my booking form. Any recommendations or advice appreciated, I'm on a tight time frame with this one, so need to solve ASAP. Kind Regards Rich
  8. Thanks for getting back to me. So basically you think I should proceed as I am, but link through to the keyword domain name (touringvanhire.com) when gathering backlinks (rather than to www.alongthehighway.com)? How do I know whether the redirects are 301? I linked the domains to the host through a 'A Name' section in the webname control panel. Kind Regards Rich
  9. This was started half way through a thread on a different subject but I felt it was worth discussing as its own thread: Company Name or Keywords as Domain Name? Is it best to purchase as your main domain name (the one that the hosting is connected to) as the company name (the name that you are going to use on all the advertising, business cards etc)? Or is it best to have that one as your keywords? The Situation As it Stands For instance; at the moment I am working for a company involved in touring and tour vans. They are called Along the Highway and plan to use www.alongthehighway.com on all the print advertising. We have also purchased http://www.touringvanhire.com/ which is currently the main one with the hosting. (this webname chosen because of the keywords for SEO) So our other webnames (such as alongthehighway.com) links through to it using the A-Name bit in the DNS settings of the hosting control panel. (not just standard web forwarding), Not sure what difference the type of linking/forwarding makes or not. Anyone who understands all this, I would greatly appreciate a run down on why linking/forwarding websites are better to do one way or another (IE standard forwarding as opposed to A-Name etc) Questions: Is this the best way to do this? Or should we just use the company name? When exchanging links with related websites (or leaving links to the website anywhere on the web), does it make any difference whether the link is going to www.alongthehighway.com or www.touringvanhire.com ? Will Google penalise for this? How do you find out about this? This website is just being launched and I am about to embark on seeking out incoming links on related websites, so its quite urgent to get this right now, before I proceed any further, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards Rich
  10. Thanks for your reply Neil. I think it may be worth asking this as its own thread/question, as it is quite a pertinent question.
  11. Thanks Neil With the hosting my client has I can also purchase webnames. So I just setup all the webnames to point to the same hosting. But the initial hosting package was setup with the webname touringvanhire.com I figured that one would be best as it has a few of their keywords in it. Do you think that I would be better off going with the webname that is the actual name of the company (www.alongthehighway.com)? Cos I reckon I could get it changed, but if I'm gonna do it, I need to do it ASAP, as the website is due to be launched and I am about to put a load of effort into getting quality links exchanged with other related websites.
  12. Ok thanks for that. On another SEO related question: I am working on a website that has multiple web names for it. If the main one that is linked to the hosting is: http://www.touringvanhire.com Does it matter if I use the company name: www.alongthehighway.com In all the link exchange programs I am using? I ask cos that second name just links through to the first name. I decided to use the first webname as I felt it would be more likely to come up well in search engine searches. Any views on that? Thanks guys
  13. So basically its ok to exchange links with related websites still? Are one way links worth loads more than reciprocal ones? Cos I could do a chain of links with some of my websites, as there are a couple in related fields, so they could link to each other in a circle (if you know what I mean). Would that be better? With the articles one, where do you submit the articles too? How does that work? Its a bit tricky with some of my clients to get em to do stuff like that, they just want me to magically wave my SEO wand and get them on the first page. But some of my clients might be up for that. Also where can you find Googles recommendations on how to rank well in it?
  14. Thanks Kevin What is PR Submission? And what is High PR social bookmarking? Article submission is tricky as my client is in a specialist field and I have trouble getting them to write anything for their website, let alone articles. Would it be worth removing old weblinks that I exchanged in the past to boost their ratings? I know that their ratings are falling at the moment. Most of the the links are fairly relevent....
  15. Hey All Couple questions for you. I heard that a while ago there was a bit of a change on the way Google rates links. I know that if they are relevent then they are obviously better, but has this gotten even stricter? Also I have been struggling to find decent link exchange websites, anyone know of any good ones? I don't want spammy ones if I can avoid it! Thanks! Rich
  16. PS. Is anyone on this forum on either a computer that is setup in Italian, Spanish or Danish (or Swedish), or is in one of those countries currently? Could you please do me a favour and click this link and tell me whether the website comes up in the correct language for where you are? www.mason-uk.co.uk This should occur automatically without having to click a button. Thanks in advance
  17. I've only just tried to implement the above PHP code. I try to get it to link through to the ASP pages for each language. But for some reason it stops the ASP from working and instead of retrieving DB info it spits out a load of the ASP code itself. You can see it here: http://www.mason-uk.co.uk/index.php The code I've used is: <?php $lang = substr($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE'], 0, 2); switch ($lang){ case "es": //echo "PAGE ES"; include("es/index.asp");//include check session ES break; case "it": //echo "PAGE IT"; include("it/index.asp"); break; case "dk": //echo "PAGE DK"; include("dk/index.asp"); break; case "se": //echo "PAGE SE"; include("dk/index.asp"); break; case "en": //echo "PAGE EN"; include("index.asp"); break; default: //echo "PAGE EN - Setting Default"; include("index.asp");//include EN in all other cases of different lang detection break; } ?>
  18. Thanks Guys, how do I find out if its using Quiks mode? Or serious mark up errors? Bit worrying about IE7 not showing any font at all... What would you suggest regarding setting the font-weights? I'm using some boilerplates that seem to have bits of CSS all over the place effecting things in my design and its a bit annoying....
  19. Hello All, Battling IE with my responsive website (as per usual!) This time I'm getting a weird thing happen. I have a block of text which a image sticks into. The text wraps around it on all the pages and all the browsers, except on this page (and only in IE - testing in http://mason-uk.co.uk/service.asp?pid=1#.UWLnL6KsiSo Any ideas why this may be? Thanks so much again for all your help! Rich
  20. Still having probs with this one. Does anyone have any idea why the font initially loads correctly in IE then jumps back to the backup font? www.mason-uk.co.uk Thanks
  21. I used this: http://tessathornton.com/demos/dropdowns/ for my clients website: http://www.mason-uk.co.uk/ It works ok with HTML5 Boilerplate (which will get your website half way there responsive code wise)
  22. I managed to make a quick fix by putting in a fixed pixel width for each button in the drop down. Unfortunately this means that the services down the right hand side now extend out past the edge of the page on some resolutions, so could really do with a better solution if anyone has one?
  23. Hi, Just checked on the old skool copy of IE8 I have on my computer. Looks great! Lines and categories look ok to me, sub categories are indented
  24. I have just launched the new responsive website I've been working on. Thank you all for all your help, it would've been A LOT harder without your guidance, and I really appreciate all the help you've given me. Unfortunately there is now an issue, and its quite major as the drop downs in IE are displaying on two lines. This means that on many monitors they are dropping off the bottom of the screen. Is there a way to force IE to display this on one line? It seems to want to display the width of the drop downs as the same width as the title of each drop down section. http://www.mason-uk.co.uk This is quite urgent as the new site has now been launched. Thanks again Rich PS Testing in IE8
  25. Whatever you do DO NOT PUT THE BODY TEXT IN IMAGES. Really you should at least try and learn some of the basics. But start with what you know perhaps and just deal with each issue as it arises.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.