Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

samd102

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by samd102

  1. That's the problem. The -212px works fine in both ie6 & 7 but in firefox (on my screen - 17" 1152 x 864 resolution) the hover state is 1 pixel out! (to the left) If anyone else can see a problem it would be good to know.
  2. Hi guys. I have an issue with a hover state that I have given to some buttons on my website: www.samdelara.co.uk. My code is here:- #left_nav {width: 212px;height: 100%;padding-top: 40px;} #left_nav ul {list-style-type: none;margin: 0px;padding: 0px;} #left_nav ul li {text-align: center;margin: 0px;padding-bottom: 4px;} #left_nav .button a{ display: block; width: 212px;height: 37px;margin: 0px auto;text-decoration: none;} #left_nav .button a:hover { background-position: -212px;text-decoration: none;} #home {background: url(../images/buttons/button_01.gif);} #freelance {background: url(../images/buttons/button_02.gif);} #portfolio {background: url(../images/buttons/button_03.gif);} #gallery {background: url(../images/buttons/button_04.gif);} #about {background: url(../images/buttons/button_05.gif);} #contact {background: url(../images/buttons/button_06.gif);} #left_nav span {visibility:hidden;} <div id="left_nav"> <ul> <li class="button"><a href='index.htm' id="home"><span>home</span></a></li> <li class="button"><a href='freelance.htm' id="freelance"><span>freelance</span></a></li> <li class="button"><a href='portfolio.htm' id="portfolio"><span>portfolio</span></a></li> <li class="button"><a href='gallery.htm' id="gallery"><span>gallery</span></a></li> <li class="button"><a href='about.htm' id="about"><span>about</span></a></li> <li class="button"><a href='contact.htm' id="contact"><span>contact</span></a></li> </ul> </div> On some screen resolutions the hover state appears a pixel or 2 out of sync and only in firefox. IE6 & 7 appear OK. Can anyone help? Sam
  3. Hi web designers. Does anyone know how to use an image as the background for a div that will expand with the content?! I'm guessing that it can be done by slicing up the image and repeating the top / bottom / sides of the image and placing the corners left / right in CSS?? Is this right? If anyone can help or can point me in the direction of some good tutorials, that would be great. Sam
  4. Hi guys. Can anyone give me a guide in how to implement CMS or point me in the direction of a usfeul website that can? I'm a complete novice when it comes to CMS and although I'm aware of the basic principles, I have no idea about how to go about setting up a content management system for a client. Any help would be much appreciated. Sam
  5. Hi. Does anyone know how to create cross-browser compatible paragraph spacing and line-height? My p and h1 tags always have extra or less space / padding in ie along with all the other box model crap ie presents. When will ie be banned?! I have tried using: *p { margin:0; padding:10px;} but this doesn't seem to work and would affect other elements in my site I think... Sam
  6. OK. Thanks guys. That's food for thought.... Does anyone have any advice about how best to advertise / gain clients?
  7. Hi guys. I have recently been offered some freelance work, all stuff that I think I'm capable of and was wondering how everyone works their freelance pricing out? I'm aware it is essentially based on your skills and experience level and whether your sites are professional or not but is there a standard charge across the freelance industry? It would be helpful if somone could look at my work: www.samdelara.co.uk and estimate what 'I'm worth' so to speak. If anyone has any useful advice about freelancing - the pros and cons - how to best advertise etc etc it would be great. Sam
  8. From an intermediate perspective I think it looks really, really good mate! Great site. Well spaced out, great bold use of the main image and good Photoshop work. I understand the comments about color, but hey, I don't think it's too much of a problem. A nice clean and professional site, Nice one. Sam
  9. Hi again guys. After the comments about my site (all good & constructive - thanks people) I have re-worked it slightly. http://www.samdelara.co.uk/ Any comments welcome. Sam
  10. Hi guys. I am building a web page that has a menu navigation stretched across the width of the browser. When I resize the screen however (to a smaller size) the menu and the images all break and look like a mess. Can anyone help? http://www.samdelara.co.uk/freelance_work/...nilla/index.htm Sam
  11. Hi guys. I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding the use of background images for web pages. I have recently designed a site: www.samdelara.co.uk that uses images (with gradients) for the backgrounds of my divs. The problem being that in different resolutions, the images obviously don't stretch the full way because I've set my divs to a certain length. Is there any way of setting the background image in the CSS so that it will fill 100% of the browser window (not matter what the screen resolution?!) I'm still fairly new to all of this so hope this doesn't sound stupid. Sam
  12. Hi 'Butters'. Nice site mate! It looks really professional and well laid out. Really good job. Sam
  13. Hi 'Neo_Dev'. First of all thanks for your comments about the site! Much appreciated...also thanks for pointing out the issue with the contact form. I have had quite a few blank emails and I was aware that the form could be submitted blank but just hadn't got round to sorting it out yet. It definetely needs some work!
  14. Hi 'Atlantis'. Thanks! That's much appreciated and I will certainly be interested if anything does
  15. Hi 'Liquid'. Thanks for this. It's a good point actually. I suppose the wording and general purpose of the site could be a bit confusing and to be honest I think the reason why is that I hadn't quite made my mind up about who my target audience are. I think at the moment it is other professionals / companies that I am trying to target as this makes more sense for me currently. Most customers / clients tend to gravitate towards established web design companies / agencies or people that they know personally or have built up a relationship with whereas I have had several emails from graphic design / web consultancy (sales) companies who have been interested in my work. I suppose I will try and tailor the site specifically towards this now...
  16. Thanks 'Cabbage'. That's really useful info. I will take your advice and alter the header img. I hadn't thought about the load time of the page due to the size of those background images. Doh! Favicon it is too. Thanks again.
  17. Hi guys. I have recently designed a site for my freelance web design. Any comments are welcome regarding layout, design and code etc.. It would also be really helpful to know how SEO friendly the site is and if there is anything I can do to improve SEO. http://www.samdelara.co.uk/index.htm Sam
  18. Hi guys. I have a strange problem with my h1 tag displaying in firefox. I am working on a page: http://www.samdelara.co.uk/templates/template002/index.htm and I want to adjust the first heading so it comes in line with the image to the left. When I give the h1 tag either some margin or padding at the top to bring it down the first h1 tag is not affected, it only adjusts the heading below. Why is this? I have already had to make seperate style sheets for ie because of the difference in the way it displays this heading. I never thought block level elements were this complicated! Any help or advice about my code would be much appreciated. Sam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.