Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dmoz dead or live ?

Featured Replies

Question is submitting in dmoz still beneficial to get rank higher in Google or Is that just a past phenomena ? any one knows exactly that what is the statistical status now a days between rank higher in google with the site who successfully listed in Dmoz ?

Question is submitting in dmoz still beneficial to get rank higher in Google or Is that just a past phenomena ? any one knows exactly that what is the statistical status now a days between rank higher in google with the site who successfully listed in Dmoz ?

 

That's funny - your questioning DMOZ with your sig screaming with your "WEBSITE DESIGN DIRECTORY" link.

  • Author
Question is submitting in dmoz still beneficial to get rank higher in Google or Is that just a past phenomena ? any one knows exactly that what is the statistical status now a days between rank higher in google with the site who successfully listed in Dmoz ?

 

 

I am not challenging Dmoz :D

  • 2 months later...

I'm an active editor on DMOZ. I've noticed a decrease in URL requests recently... on that basis I'd suggest that it wasn't a case of: "What DMOZ can offer you" but more: "What you can offer DMOZ".

 

If fewer people are going to Directories I think their value is depreciated.

 

Little James

I'm an active editor on DMOZ. I've noticed a decrease in URL requests recently... on that basis I'd suggest that it wasn't a case of: "What DMOZ can offer you" but more: "What you can offer DMOZ".

 

Several years ago I used to religiously submit new sites to DMOZ, and at first some got listed, which was fine as I never expected them to list every site. Then things started to change and no sites ever got listed. It was then I gave up trying.

Several years ago I used to religiously submit new sites to DMOZ, and at first some got listed, which was fine as I never expected them to list every site. Then things started to change and no sites ever got listed. It was then I gave up trying.

 

Yeh that happens because of the absurd criteria which the site should fall into. Although the information is available on the Open Directory Project there are some other factors... which I can see are frustrating...

 

It'll depend on which editor looks after your category

How much they logon and actively edit

If (and I very much doubt they do) bother to contact you and let you know that the site hasn't been sucsessful... and why

And often a site which is requested to DMOZ may fit under a category other than the one specified. For that reason if can sit on DMOZ for a while hanging around between catagories until an editor adds or removes it.

Yes they always used to say it depends on the editor! I think that's where DMOZ is it's own worst enemy because some editors will turn out to be better than others. I presume an editor only has control over one category? If that's so then I've always thought that letting multiple editors look at all submissions in a group of categories might work better.

 

As for choosing categories, yes that could be an issue but in my case I don't think I'm a bad judge of choosing where something best fits :)

 

And notifications of successful submission - never ever had one from DMOZ!

  • 2 weeks later...
Yes they always used to say it depends on the editor! I think that's where DMOZ is it's own worst enemy because some editors will turn out to be better than others. I presume an editor only has control over one category? If that's so then I've always thought that letting multiple editors look at all submissions in a group of categories might work better.

 

As for choosing categories, yes that could be an issue but in my case I don't think I'm a bad judge of choosing where something best fits :)

 

And notifications of successful submission - never ever had one from DMOZ!

 

 

I've never had notification of a successful submission from DMOZ either.

 

I tend to take the view that it can't hurt, it doesn't take long to do. But I wouldn't expect wonders from it. It's worth doing it, but it isn't the answer to getting to the top of the rankings.

 

 

Kite Systems

Web Design Hong Kong

Software Development Hong Kong

  • 3 weeks later...

If you looked in the right forums you used to find dmoz editors dropping hints that they could get you listed for the right price, used to be about £70 a site

 

I dont know if its still there but on the Google hints and tips page they advise you submit to the dmoz directory but also the yahoo one, i once paid to have a site listed in yahoo dont think it made a difference to my google ranking, it certainly didnt get me many referrals, bit of a waste of money all told

I presume an editor only has control over one category

many categories dont even have editors anymore, if they do there name will be at the bottom, if theres no name your application is unlikely to ever be looked at

If you looked in the right forums you used to find dmoz editors dropping hints that they could get you listed for the right price, used to be about £70 a site

 

I dont know if its still there but on the Google hints and tips page they advise you submit to the dmoz directory but also the yahoo one, i once paid to have a site listed in yahoo dont think it made a difference to my google ranking, it certainly didnt get me many referrals, bit of a waste of money all told

 

many categories dont even have editors anymore, if they do there name will be at the bottom, if theres no name your application is unlikely to ever be looked at

 

Correct. There are a number of Categories which aren't 'owned' as such, and others that are maintained by 1 or possibly more people.

 

I do have to stand-up for DMOZ to a certain extent. The consensus that corrupt editors are the gateway for listing is for the best part un-grounded. Sure it 'might' go on but having read numerous forums and being an editor myself I've never been approached with financial reward, nor have I had a site requested from another editor with any talk of money. I speak of personal experience, not saying it never happens I'm suggesting that if it does happen it is less than we all think.

 

Clearly - with the very way in which DMOZ works there is opportunity for corruption, but knowing how the system works I can see and appreciate it's a tricky thing to Police.

 

If it does happen I would suggest its few and far between. I do agree however about Page Rank displacement and relative impact on SERP (due to the volume of referred links). I stand up for it because I like the concept - weather it works is most likely down to the individual site, the demand for its service and accuracy in DMOZ listing.

 

Little James

  • 4 weeks later...

You'll be lucky if you get listed in DMOZ. I was trying to add my sites to this directory and I wasn't successful. Probably I\ve chosen the wrong category...

Though, I agree with little James: some editors make mistakes too.

  • Jo 90 locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.