Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Beginner CSS Tutorial

Featured Replies

I've written a tutorial on CSS aimed at absolute beginners who may not be able to see the obvious advantages that CSS provides. The tutorial covers why CSS should be used, and then goes on to declaring CSS definitions by HTML tag, ID and class along with explaining some of the basics.

 

http://cabbagination.net/2008/07/introduction-to-css/

Nice articles. The objectives are well-explained. It's really useful for those css beginners.

  • 3 weeks later...

Dead link. That's a shame. I would've loved to have read through it.

aw, could you please put it up somewhere again? Please.

  • 2 weeks later...

very good job! The more people trying to convert those still using tables the better!

 

A great article for beginners who are trying to understand what css does.

Nice tutorial man. One of the best tutorials I've seen for beginners. Well written and explained, wish I read something like this when I began :)

  • Author

Wow, getting some really positive feedback here :).

 

I might look into writing a CSS layout tutorial over the next week.

  • 2 weeks later...

not to sound like a noob, sorry but I found it hard to edit the page through the .css file because you didnt mention/include the link in the head of the html code,

 

this is what is in your tut

<div class="mydiv">
<h1>A title</h1>
A paragraph</div>
<div id="bottomdiv" class="mydiv">
<h1>Another title</h1>
Another paragraph</div>

 

this is how I wrote the html to make it work

<head>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="stylesheet.css" />
</head>

<div class="mydiv">
<h1>A title</h1>
A paragraph</div>
<div id="bottomdiv" class="mydiv">
<h1>Another title</h1>
Another paragraph</div>

  • Author
not to sound like a noob, sorry but I found it hard to edit the page through the .css file because you didnt mention/include the link in the head of the html code,

 

this is what is in your tut

<div class="mydiv">
<h1>A title</h1>
A paragraph</div>
<div id="bottomdiv" class="mydiv">
<h1>Another title</h1>
Another paragraph</div>

 

this is how I wrote the html to make it work

<head>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="stylesheet.css" />
</head>

<div class="mydiv">
<h1>A title</h1>
A paragraph</div>
<div id="bottomdiv" class="mydiv">
<h1>Another title</h1>
Another paragraph</div>

 

Thank you for pointing this out, it escaped me completely somehow! I'll edit the extra HTML in to the tutorial.

 

Edit: Done, thank you for pointing this out to me.

Another little thing which needs attention. Although you've now changed it to "The only thing that may be different is line 7 which places the link etc", the link to the stylesheet is actually on line 5. :rolleyes:

 

Great tutorial for beginners though.

  • Author
Another little thing which needs attention. Although you've now changed it to "The only thing that may be different is line 7 which places the link etc", the link to the stylesheet is actually on line 5. :rolleyes:

 

Great tutorial for beginners though.

 

Fixed, again :pp.

  • 2 weeks later...

The tut was good but it failed to explain what id and div is. Should have mentioned in a line before using CSS effects on them. Other than that it was quite well-written. Try to reduce the number of words used and the repetitive lines.

 

Good tutorial overall! keep them coming...

hey thats a fine tutorial. can you tell me a little difference between CSS & CSS-P?

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.