AblazeRich2

Tourist Website Advice Needed

Hi All, 

I am getting involved with a website for the village I am currently staying in San Pancho Mexico.  It's a tourist town and the website that acts as a hub and brand for San Pancho is San Pancho Life.

www.sanpancholife.com

I didn't build this site, and its in need of an update. We are going to totally overhaul it and probably go with Wordpress I believe. I was just hoping to get some feedback on a few parts of this and pick the brains of the hive mind here to see what we think is the best way to go about this.

Some points

1. Advertising and Business listings. We want clients to be able to log in and add their own ads, events, etc, obviously we need some kind of control over content and membership. Memberships and different prices for ads, purchase should generate a password and log in. Limited ads in limited positions. Also business listings. Any plugins or themes recommended for this?
  2. Is there some way of putting banners in the drop down ads? I'm not so keen on this, but apparently its a best seller on their current site and they really don't want to lose it.... Any straight forward solution for this?
  3. Maps plugin? We are thinking about listing local business on a bespoke map of the town, we are also considering whether this would be worth creating as an app... I think so. Any advice on this? and linking entry on it with the memberships?
  4. General theme ideas that you think would be able to cope with this. It's a combination website for tourists and ex-pats that includes: rental property, local information, events, and stuff to do while on vacation.
  5. We want the website to operate in English and Spanish, any ideas on plugins to help with that? We can provide the translations ourselves.

Any feedback or ideas welcome. Thanks guys :)

1. I've got a plugin I built for a client that does this. you can have it if you want. If not there are plenty of plugins that allow people to post content.

2. Yes. You just need to create the menu styling

3. Maps can be a right pain. It's all possible but you end up writing a lot of bespoke code. If you want to link the directory and the maps you need to build your own for both.

4. I think the site works well as it is.

5. Use WPML

Personally, I find the text is a bit too heavy looking, that the website load times are a bit slow on a desktop.

Looking at Google Page Speed, the Optimisation came back as Low 28/100. If you run the test it will give you some areas to fix. https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

Otherwise I think the content is okay, it is a typical tourist website giving the information needed.

Thanks guys,

We are def going for the overhaul, the actual text will mostly stay the same with some editing, but the layout and backend will be redone. 

There is some bespoke code already on the site, I will see if I can combine that somehow.

Would love to see your plugin fisicx

I'll have to set up a demo site for you to see the directory plugin working but it uses the same core code as this:

https://quick-plugins.com/quick-event-manager/guest-event-plugin-test/

and this:

http://tradesman-theme.co.uk/new-testimonial/

The idea is someone fills in the form, it gets moderated and then displayed wherever. For example: http://tradesman-theme.co.uk/testimonials/

It's all standard wordpress functions which means the footprint is tiny. The whole testimonial module is a single php file under 15kb

Thanks again guys.

Any recommendations for a "classifieds" listings type theme? I think I might start with that and go from there.

Also found Maps Marker Pro plugin, which seems to cover the map side, anyone have any experience with that?

I've got a theme you can use for classified listings. If you want it just ask. It's got maps, subscriptions and adding a membership function is a doddle.

Edited by fisicx

You can use Enfold multipurpose business theme where tourist website theme is available and other as well.

2 hours ago, Sayedul said:

You can use Enfold multipurpose business theme where tourist website theme is available and other as well.

No, don't use Enfold. It's an appaling theme, slow, bloated, a poor UX and responsiveness isn't good.