Sign in to follow this  
designgem

Bit of a rant

Had a client contact me at midnight on Friday complaining he 'didn't know the hosting would be this expensive' because it had come up for renewal.

He pasted his invoice into the message.

It was $62 total for the domain name and the hosting for a year (with a well-known company, not me).

I mean, seriously?! This guy runs a business, lives at home with his parents rent-free, and charges at least £20 per person per one hour class he teaches for his business. Plus he owns the building & rents the rest out to other businesses.

I mean, what do you even say to that?!

When I asked him, he said, 'Oh, I was previously on Google Sites and I think that's only around £20 a year'

<_<

Sometimes people in business act like numpties.

Maybe he has read some quick guide to entrepreneurial success which has told him to boost profit by getting 10% off every single business cost . 'It's easy - just ring all your suppliers and demand a discount - You win, They lose!' Except that it will very likely backfire on him in the future the day he needs to ask his suppliers to do that little bit extra, to meet a deadline, to placate some disgruntled stranger, and they will just shrug and say 'That's his problem. I don't care'

That comes in at around £4 a month, which is nothing. The amount we charge per month at my work is significantly higher, you can't have a reliable hosting setup on a £20 a year server.

Sometimes people in business act like numpties.

Maybe he has read some quick guide to entrepreneurial success which has told him to boost profit by getting 10% off every single business cost . 'It's easy - just ring all your suppliers and demand a discount - You win, They lose!' Except that it will very likely backfire on him in the future the day he needs to ask his suppliers to do that little bit extra, to meet a deadline, to placate some disgruntled stranger, and they will just shrug and say 'That's his problem. I don't care'

Good point. I never even thought of that. Wish he'd gone to the hosting company though instead of me! Made him a website months ago, not currently working with him.

That comes in at around £4 a month, which is nothing. The amount we charge per month at my work is significantly higher, you can't have a reliable hosting setup on a £20 a year server.

It's so crazy, and I know he's doing well with his business. To him the difference is a couple of McDonald's in a year.

Never mind, lesson learned!

Charging high rates tends to weed out these sorts of clients from those that understand and value your time and expertise. Did you undercharge this client initially?

Have dealt with clients in the past like this numerous times. When I first started out I would do whatever it takes to cater to them but since then have learned my lesson to avoid them based on the a-hole scale.

I always give my clients the option...if they want to do their own hosting then so be it but I let them know they won't get any support from me without it being billed hourly. It might save them money but there's no guarantee with it. We typically charge a $50 a month maintenance package to start out using $5 droplets on digital ocean. We deal with mostly local clients so traffic isn't much and in conjunction with cloudflare and Amazon S3 these little servers can handle it. So the $50 gets hosting, domain management, backups, updates and if something happens to the site tech/server related we'll fix it, for example a hack/malware.

On the other hand if they choose there hosting they get none of the above. For some who know how to manage this it won't be a big deal but often times business owners think they can save money paying hosting themselves and before you know it there site gets hacked, they forget to renew etc and then they don't have a backup and start from the beginning.

I always explain to them that what we provide is a service and it's an important one. I think a lot of us can probably agree that websites are under constant attack from spammers/hackers.

Good point. I never even thought of that. Wish he'd gone to the hosting company though instead of me! Made him a website months ago, not currently working with him.

That's besides the point to be honest.

You've set a price - your client can either accept this or not.

Unrelated, it may be worthwhile reminding your client how much that $62 is worth to his business. i.e. replying to emails alone generates much more than $62 a year. The site generates leads.

What a pain.

I think I'd respond with something like:

"Hi, I'm sorry that you're unhappy with the fee. I'm confident it is good value. However if you would prefer to come to your own more cost-effective arrangements, please do let me know and we can discontinue the service."

Basically - look this is good value, I'm confident enough in that to have you shop around. It's not up for negotiation and if you still want to go elsewhere it's no skin of my ****. :)

Edit: Oops, necro'd a thread. Sorry.

Edited by blibbka