April 30, 201511 yr Hi folks, I have a WHM server and full shell access and I believe I have optimized everything well but for some reason I just can't get to the bottom of an issue where all my domains that are using PHP/MySQL like Joomla have a high response time. I have a feeling it is related to MySQL or maybe Apache but I really can't work it out. If I ping the server directly is pings at around 50ms but as soon as I ping a site hosted on the server it takes 1000ms just to request the page. Any assistance would be much appreciated!
April 30, 201511 yr If the server ping is good it's possible there's an issue with Joomla or MySQL database response times. Has Joomla got any debugging tools? If so check for the number of queries your pages are using to identify anything that may slow things down.
April 30, 201511 yr Are you using caching, both in Joomla global config and the system plugin? Also, does your template framework support compiling and compressing the css files? If not, get one that does. Try using JotCache cache management and the JCH Optimize plugin. Turn on Gzip compression if your hosting supports it. Loslessly optimise all of your images using a tool such as FileOptimizer. That should speed things up a bit. If not, look around for better hosting - ping times don't mean a lot, it's often down to poor database performance or connectivity when a CMS site runs slowly.
April 30, 201511 yr Log on to the server using root access and use top to see what resources are being used while you request the website. You can see cpu and ram usage of every process on the server.
May 4, 201511 yr Hi Gobbly, How have you got on? If your resource usage is reasonable, which is should be, this could be disk related. You'd get much better performance if you have an SSD server for example. However if everything is configured properly and the node isn't overcrowded then it should perform reasonably regardless. I'm presuming you've got a VPS? You can also try creating a test account that isn't running Joomla/using MySQL - e.g. just a static html page, and see how the server responds then. If it still responds very slowly it may be very poor first byte performance that's the issue. What's your server's spec? You can find this in WHM, and then check the server load on the top right of the window. Using both you can see if your server is currently overloaded. I hope that helps. Good luck!
Create an account or sign in to comment