Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Design limit

Featured Replies

Hi !

 

Today I started here and hope learn a lot. I am Daniel from Brazil... but now I am living at Thailand.

I am starting working with web design and web coding... so I am doing the both jobs. :-)

 

My question is:

Is there a limit for what we can create in a web layout ? I mean... when we are doing the design layout we can do anything... or we must think forward and the poor guy who will coding the site ? :-) Where is the limit ?

 

Thanks,

Daniel

Heya, welcome to WDF. One of traps of someone who does both design and coding is to design limited because you know what will be easier to program later on. It's best not to look at any coding limitations when your working on the design this will only hold your design back.

A lot of designers start designing their website on paper, to not be limited by the graphic program they might be using.

 

Greetz R-J

You can get a site to look anyway you want, but its best to remember that you are design a site tor be practical and user friendly. Sites are meant to be an experience and display good content so a nice design is nothing if a website can't be used :)

 

 

So as long as you keep practicality and usability in mind then you are fine to design what you want

I agree with what has been said, and I believe that a good coder can work around the design and make it work without making the designer have limits.

Most designs I work on start on paper-then to psd then to code. I make the design how I want it in photoshop then use my coding skills to make it look as close to the original psd as possible. Sometimes I admit it can be hard-but most of the time there is a trick to work around it and the original design won't need to be altered too much.

I think Dizi has a great point here.

 

There are good reasons why certain things appear on certain parts of the page. i.e navigation not at the bottom, or logos top left etc.

 

If you follow these "gestalt psychology" or good usability rules, or at the very least make sure you have a good reason everytime you break one, you will be designing sensible sites and thus coding shouldn't be an issue!

interesting point. I think that the term "limits" applied to the term "design" is somehow interesting. Design has no limits, coding has, because the design is a product of your imagination and coding is not. Design can go as far as you want. You can design everything you want. When it comes to web design and you must code that wild design nothing is impossible. If html and css can't do it (rare) there will always be flash. I have seen some very good and beautiful flash sites. Design also can be applied to movies or 3d stuff. In my opinion design and coding are pretty different. Thou in web design the things you must have in mind are utility, simplicity, effectiveness and loading times. Of course there are other things as well but the most important thing is to put yourself in the skin of your website visitor and try to make a user friendly experience. Beautiful and simple design arranged brilliantly can take you very far ^_^

  • Author

Thanks ... for the tips guys !

I will let my mind free... :-) but of course, always think in usability.

One thing to remember is that web pages are not a fixed canvas, unlike print work, so your designs must be flexible to accomodate the content.

 

Web sites are much more than pretty graphical interfaces and it's worth considering placement of key page elements like search boxes, navigation and so on.

What I reckon is... there are absolutely no limits in web design, only in good web design!!!!

What I reckon is... there are absolutely no limits in web design, only in good web design!!!!

 

Translated that means....forget the design just get on with the copy ;-)))

 

;)

 

:flm7:

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.