August 21, 201214 yr Hello there! I'm in the process of designing a new website for my online portfolio, to show potential employers what I can do and how far I've come from starting. I was told about using forums to get feedback, so here I am! I'm in the middle of tidying up behind-the-scenes (including changing the Javascript mouseover events into CSS hover, moving the faded background images to an IE-only stylesheet and implement CSS3, etc) so most of the things you point out there are probably being edited out. (And I will get a better URL once the draft is complete and I have done some research into a new host). Thanks guys! http://steve.nexuswebsites.co.uk/
August 21, 201214 yr be very careful with statements and logos claiming valid code. One in your portfolio that I looked at fails with errors. Personally I'd lose the 'inspirational websites' section. What does it tell anyone?
August 21, 201214 yr Author be very careful with statements and logos claiming valid code. One in your portfolio that I looked at fails with errors. Personally I'd lose the 'inspirational websites' section. What does it tell anyone? Thank you for your feedback, zed! Yes the portfolio pieces themselves need tidying up! As for the 'Inspirational Websites' section, I am not very good at footers, what would you recommend to put in there?
August 22, 201214 yr Thank you for your feedback, zed! Yes the portfolio pieces themselves need tidying up! As for the 'Inspirational Websites' section, I am not very good at footers, what would you recommend to put in there? You shouldn't need to put anything in if it's not relevant. It's not about plugging gaps with content. If there is no other content you want in your footer, don't include any. Design for the content, don't make up content for the design.
August 23, 201214 yr Changing over to css is a great idea! However when i looked up your website, the linking sites aren't relevant under the head- inspirational websites. Since this is on your home page, it would give a negative impression on the visitors. Also you could do something about the font color, since everything looks so bland.
August 23, 201214 yr You shouldn't need to put anything in if it's not relevant. It's not about plugging gaps with content. If there is no other content you want in your footer, don't include any. Design for the content, don't make up content for the design. This +1. If it doesn't benefit the user, don't include it.
September 1, 201214 yr Author Ok thanks for the feedback. Since the last time I asked for feedback, I've gone through a drastic re-design. I realised the previous design was absolute crap and I can do better! Take a look at the new design (still a draft ofcourse, but have added some nice features I've learnt). Same address. Thanks. P.S. Still working on content though! Edited September 1, 201214 yr by Stephen.Rance
September 1, 201214 yr I like the font, it works well. However I'm not too keen on the colour scheme. As stated it seems quite bland and doesn't have any stand out areas. Also the most important thing is to show what you're capable of through both your own website and other websites you have created. The thing anybody visiting your website will be looking for is examples.
September 1, 201214 yr Hi Stephen, I didn't see your last design so can't comment. I like the colours and overall design of this one. You obviously need to include some of your work and as it is a personal portfolio site, I would include a photo (personal branding). Perhaps a button on the right side of your header 'Contact Me' 'Download My CV' etc. The only other thing is 'Copyright' (not copywrite) Good job so far ('',)
September 1, 201214 yr Hi, I think it's a good start, the colours are nice and easy on the eye and it's clear enough, the fact that it is responsive is also good. I would definitely add some of your work if it is a portfolio website, even if it is just work you done at uni, at least then there is something for potential employers to see at the moment there isn't much on the site to keep the user engaged. I would also add a picture of yourself, it's nice to see who we are reading about. Some people are not a fan of this but I would style your CV to go with the branding on your website, just give things a bit of continuity, not styled too much though but it could incorporate your logo and some colour.
September 1, 201214 yr Author Thanks for the feedback guys! Yea ideally I want to add an image of myself, am working on that now without disrupting the design of the page! I like the colour scheme, ok it may seem 'bland' but the most important thing is that it's easy on the eye and there are a few nice subtle touches which I feel polishes up the page a little. *facepalm* on the "Copywrite" haha. Changed. As for the portfolio examples, I will admit my previous stuff I did at University was terrible (I wouldn't employ myself with the stuff I did) as the majority of it wasn't graded based on the visual design. So will have to spice it up once this is done! However I will include a temp portfolio as an idea and go from there. Thanks again!
September 2, 201214 yr Author Ok I've added a picture of me, hoping the positioning is OK as I think it looks pretty good there and works well with the responsive design. I've also implemented some jQuery to add a little engagement to the website. Opinions? (portfolio still not applied, am getting there though!) Thanks!
September 2, 201214 yr Author Ok done. I replaced it with the "Back to top" link and you can swap them around when you get onto a lower-width resolution - seems more logical that way as you've got a lot more scrolling to do.
September 2, 201214 yr I like how you've added your photo Only thing I would say about twitter feed would be to use an icon so it's obvious what it is. Looking good ('',)
September 3, 201214 yr Author I like how you've added your photo Only thing I would say about twitter feed would be to use an icon so it's obvious what it is. Looking good ('',) Thank you! I've added the Twitter logo next the the Tweet, looks much better in my opinion!
Create an account or sign in to comment