Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Uploading a Website to Wordpress

Featured Replies

Hey,

 

I recently purchased a WP theme and have a programmer editing it while I work on a design for it. I have a few pages designed and simplistically laid out in fireworks, and consistent with the dimensions of the purchased theme.

 

I am pretty fluent with Wordpress and not too shabby with Fireworks, but am clueless as to how to put them together. How do I upload my Fireworks designs onto the net? Any good tutorials out there to walk me through the process? I assume I need to use an FTP server to upload the data.

 

Something I know how to do but am not sure if I should is going to the theme editor section of Wordpress and just fooling around with all the CSS inputs there or whatever and uploading images on my own.

 

I've also seen that I need to export the Fireworks file to Dreamweaver (which I've never used) and go from there.

Please someone tell me where to start with this!

 

Thanks

Edited by mistatall

The theme is the design of the website, so are you trying to create your own theme or add content to the one you already have?

 

It sounds like you've designed a image in fireworks and want that to become the site but it's a little more complex then that. That's like drawing a picture of a kettle and expecting it to make tea, the design you have made needs bringing to life using mark up. If this is what you are doing then there isn't a simple tutorial for getting it on WP, but there are 1000's of tutorials and books for learning how to web design.

 

If you already know all that then its a case of making your web pages a WP press theme and installing them.

  • Author

The theme is the design of the website, so are you trying to create your own theme or add content to the one you already have?

 

It sounds like you've designed a image in fireworks and want that to become the site but it's a little more complex then that. That's like drawing a picture of a kettle and expecting it to make tea, the design you have made needs bringing to life using mark up. If this is what you are doing then there isn't a simple tutorial for getting it on WP, but there are 1000's of tutorials and books for learning how to web design.

 

If you already know all that then its a case of making your web pages a WP press theme and installing them.

 

Can you tell me a little about what you mean by markup and the programs used?

Can you tell me a little about what you mean by markup and the programs used?

 

 

You need to turn your designs into code. There's no "auto" way of doing this, you have to manually write the markup. Markup is the PHP, HTML, Javascript and CSS which makes up a theme.

 

Here's a Tutorial on how to do it: http://www.onextrapixel.com/2011/03/08/how-to-code-a-wordpress-3-0-theme-from-scratch/

Why would you buy a wp theme, then -remake- it? You can get many free "barebone" themes, that have all the wp functionality, and still allow you to build upon them.

I'm also not entirely sure what you're actually doing here. You've bought a theme, but then you're trying to make something in Fireworks?

 

Could you try to explain a bit better what you're trying to do? As it'd make it much easier for us to help.

Can you tell me a little about what you mean by markup and the programs used?

 

Sorry to say but if you don't know what I mean then you've got a long way to go, there is a whole profession between designing the layout as an image and then the final results in WP.

 

You might be best paying a web design/developer to do it for this site. But if it is a career you are looking to be in then you'll need to go through a lot of learning first.

  • Author

The web developer I hired said it saves us some time to buy a theme then hack it for our own purposes.

 

I understand the idea that there are lots of free themes out there, but he said this site idea is pretty specific and complex. Finding a close match is more important than saving $100 and adding X hours of programming costs into the deal.

 

In addition to that, I'm trying to make a custom design for the site while he worries about programming. He told me yesterday to just send him the PSDs of whatever I make and he will deal with uploading them. So I won't need to deal with markup myself (yay!).

 

I was just curious about the markup process, I'd eventually like to know how to do it on my own. Say I make a sweet new banner, I'd like to be able to make it functional w/o having to hire someone to upload it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.