March 13, 201115 yr Hello all, Would greatly appreciate any feedback on my site: www jackspccorner co uk. I'm uncertain about the design and how visitors will perceive it. Do you think there's any issues? One criticizer said it was too "aggressive" for the aim. Thank you in advance! Edited March 13, 201115 yr by masterleaf
March 13, 201115 yr Excuse my honesty but it is very low quality in terms of design. Unfortunately I have to agree. It looks very amateurish and the visual treatment reminds me of gaming sites from the early 90s. Is there any particular reason for the blue "sci-fi" kind of feel to the site? I could understand if you dealt with space or an appropriate sci-fi game/movie/etc. but for a business site it seems entirely out of place. I see a lot of default Photoshop layer styles there, too, which also gives it the amateurish feel. Layout-wise you are on the right track. A designer's portfolio is a place where you could take the hyper-creative route, but for a business dealing with PC Repair it is probably best to stick with the tried-and-true. The typography is not awe-inspiring but certainly suffices. I'd either refine or ditch the clock font you use for a logo. Code-wise, you should ditch all the inline styles and stick everything in an external CSS document. Other than that the markup looks decent. Got some validation errors that you should look at too. I suppose my dislike stems from the visual elements, not the information architecture, so I'd start over or at the very least try another visual treatment with what you have for a layout.
March 14, 201115 yr Hi, I have to agree with the feedback so far. A very dated-looking design. Kind of reminds me of Pacman for some reason! In terms of layout, it's pretty generic. Having had a quick glance at the code, it doesn't look too bad. There are certainly a few things you could do to tidy it up but to be honest, I'd check out the templates Lev has hooked you up with and start from scratch with a fresh, modern design. Hope this helps.
March 14, 201115 yr it does lack design quality but with a bit of improvement this could be a really great site
March 14, 201115 yr I think you need to work with the design of your website. Try to make it more creative and unique. I can suggest to read or view the most popular web design tutorials. Also search in Google other web design works for inspiration if you don't have your own style.
March 14, 201115 yr As a professional design website I would rate it as follows Design = 3 out of 10 Coding = 8 out of 10 Design is like others have said a bit dated so to speak and not very inspiring. Coding looks clean at a glance and is valid so thumbs up for that
March 15, 201115 yr I like the layout, in the sense of where you have placed content. But that's it. Firstly, when I first glance at the page i'm absolutely and monumentally confused at what you're trying to offer me. Then, when I do read on, the design looks like it's been created by an amateur and wouldn't tempt me to even consider employing you. I don't get the planet thing at the top left of the screen and the 'Jacks PC Corner' is lost in the header; too much going on at either side. The code is clean, and a good start to build on, but a web designers site is the most important testament to the skills and ability they hold. Stay with the structure and content layout, but I'd seriously consider the design. It's not nice, not relevant and doesn't feel professional
March 15, 201115 yr Author Thank you to those that gave me constructive feedback. At my age, which is 17 i am willing to listen and learn from those that are capable of giving the relevant information back to me. I will now start over again and use the positive advice that has been given to me. I read somewhere that Feedback is the breakfast of champions
March 16, 201115 yr I had a bad day in the office yesterday and felt like I was a tad bit harsh in what I was saying. Just wanted to get my points across. Factor in your age, its simply your design that is lacking. You just have to keep practising and one thing I find that is useful is to be your own worst critic. Keep us up to date with anything that you do
March 16, 201115 yr It needs a lot of work, for one the alt shouldn't be there. Alt's imo make it so old school and crappy, also like others said the design is out dated. Make it a bit more modern and try to use less images for faster load times.
March 16, 201115 yr Factor in your age, its simply your design that is lacking. You just have to keep practising and one thing I find that is useful is to be your own worst critic. Great advice, this. Don't be ashamed when you have to go back to the drawing board on a design. Especially when you are starting out you are going miss your target frequently, so starting from scratch allows you to take the parts of a design that work and create something that is infinitely better. As you get more practice you will need to start over less and less, but I find myself starting over dozens of times on some projects.
March 17, 201115 yr As you get more practice you will need to start over less and less, but I find myself starting over dozens of times on some projects. Nailed it.
March 18, 201115 yr Mate for being 17 you are on the right track, albeit a lot to go. I know kids your age who can barely use Excel. Do not be discouraged by harsh words, it's just helping you to make WOW designs and trust us, you can do it. Be inspired by other sites, and things and work your way around.
March 20, 201115 yr I am afraid I honestly don’t like the design. I think it is far too in your face. I don’t think the sites design works
Create an account or sign in to comment