March 1, 201115 yr Since I don't have a lot to show from my previous employment(most of the work was for private sites that I can't show), I have been designing pages for my portfolio. My only trouble is, once the layout is designed, what is the best kind of filler text to use? It's easy for kiddie sites as I can make things up, but when it comes to something like a store or business layout...what do you do? I'm not very versed in writing fake text that will be presentable to my clients, so any ideas?
March 1, 201115 yr Lorum ipsum........ is the standard filler text. Keep it in a separate .txt file so you can copy/paste very quickly as much as you want. It gives a lot of text including words of varying length and all normal characters so you get a good impression of how text will look on your page.
March 1, 201115 yr As for me, I avoid to use Lorem ipsum as a filler. I usually endeavour to fill content blocks (in the prototypes and templates) with the texts that are close in the meaning to the site's content matter (sometimes in a slightly humorous tone). Such approach, as a rule, makes a good impression at the customers.
March 1, 201115 yr As for me, I avoid to use Lorem ipsum as a filler. I usually endeavour to fill content blocks (in the prototypes and templates) with the texts that are close in the meaning to the site's content matter (sometimes in a slightly humorous tone). Such approach, as a rule, makes a good impression at the customers. Agreed, lorem ipsum, to me, just looks like you have copied somebodies template and didn't know what to put in that box lol. I always try to make sure the client supplies enough content for my layout whether it be text or images. Failing that I stick one of my banners in, providing the content is relevant and it doesn't look out of place. Or google ads can be another filler, providing the client has ok'd it first.
March 1, 201115 yr Agreed, lorem ipsum, to me, just looks like you have copied somebodies template and didn't know what to put in that box lol. I always try to make sure the client supplies enough content for my layout whether it be text or images. Failing that I stick one of my banners in, providing the content is relevant and it doesn't look out of place. Or google ads can be another filler, providing the client has ok'd it first. Lorem Ipsum's got 500 years of history behind it. It actually makes sense to use Lorem Ipsum rather than real text, because it has a word distribution like real content but doesn't distract the eye into actually reading it instead of appreciating the design. If you don't like it repeating itself, there's a generator here.
March 1, 201115 yr i agree with what others have said about creating your own filler text on a template or draft web page --- if you've got time! I also agree with Renaissance-Design that the reason for using Lorem ipsum is that a person looking at the page can't understand it so they automatically ignore it and visually concentrate on the page layout (which is probably what you want the Client to approve).
March 1, 201115 yr Lorem Ipsum's got 500 years of history behind it. It actually makes sense to use Lorem Ipsum rather than real text, because it has a word distribution like real content but doesn't distract the eye into actually reading it instead of appreciating the design. If you don't like it repeating itself, there's a generator here. That's a very fair point you make about not distracting the client from the actual layout, had never really thought about it that way before. +1
March 1, 201115 yr i agree with what others have said about creating your own filler text on a template or draft web page --- if you've got time! Being a web designer (at least, I consider myself as such), I am sure that I always must find a time for that instead of filling page with depersonalized standard text. Because it is one of aspects of individuality, personality, identity etc of custom design that I always must to take into account when designing site for the concrete client. Be different - this principle is older than 500 years.
March 3, 201115 yr I totally agree with what you said Renaissance-Design. Lorem Ispum is my choice of filler text every time.
March 3, 201115 yr If you're using a Mac you can download a lorem ipsum generator onto your dashboard for super fast copy and paste
Create an account or sign in to comment