Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How can I track users from my website?

Featured Replies

How can I track a user as they leave my site, enter another site and conduct a transaction, I need the details of the transaction i.e. the checkout cart value, Has anyone done something like this?

Put Google analytics code in your site and use webmaster tools for this.

 

Thanks

 

 

The two word answer to your question is “web analytics”. Web analytics software will not only help you to track the number of visitors coming to your website, but would tell you where they came from, the amount of time they spent on your website, pages they visited, and a whole lot of other data pertaining to your website.

 

The data from your web analytics software is extremely useful in helping you fine tune your website and is a must have for anyone who owns a website or a blog. There is a plethora of web analytic software, both free and paid, which you can use to get all the data you are looking for. The only challenge you are likely to face is converting this raw data into information which can be acted upon.

 

Personally I prefer Google Analytics and I have various reasons to do so. It is free to use and will supply you with all the data that you need, at least at beginner and intermediate level. On top of this, it is simple to use and intuitive. Your can generate reports based on various dimensions, customize it, and export them in various formats. You could not ask for more from free-to-use software.

 

The installation process is simple. All you need to do is sign up for Google analytics (you can use an existing Google account), grab a tracking code and insert it in webpages you want to track – job done. Google will start tracking your website’s activities in the next 24-48 hours. You can refer to Google Analytics Installation Guide for step by step instructions.

Edited by Wickham

  • 2 months later...

Is there a way of tracking visitors to a site that I cant paste code into? Basically I've redesigned a website and would like to see how the new design compares to the old one. However, I dont have access to paste html into the old site as the designers wont give us ftp access. I don't really need detailed data, just basics like number of visitors per month etc.

I think the original poster is after something that would track the user as they leave HIS/HER website, enter another website (third party) conduct a transaction and find out what they're spending.

 

Basically follow a user over the internet.

 

In a word? No.

  • 2 months later...

I think the original poster is after something that would track the user as they leave HIS/HER website, enter another website (third party) conduct a transaction and find out what they're spending.

 

Basically follow a user over the internet.

 

In a word? No.

 

This!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.