Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How's life as a freelance web designer?

Featured Replies

I've created websites for some time now (never charged for them) and I'm thinking of becoming a freelance web designer.

I'm just a high school student so I don't have big expectations related to my monthly earnings but I want to know if it's possible to get a few hundred dollars monthly from my customers?

 

I'd really like to build websites instead of working as a McDonald's employee. :D

I work full time and do freelance work on the side and i would say from my limited experience that you would have to stick at it to get it and it is possible. Once you get a portfolio and a few clients, word of mouth is your best friend! as people will recommend you. :)

I work full time and do freelance work on the side and i would say from my limited experience that you would have to stick at it to get it and it is possible. Once you get a portfolio and a few clients, word of mouth is your best friend! as people will recommend you. :)

 

I started working freelance when i was maccies crew member, it's definetly do-able! blush.gif

 

Personally though, i'd keep working their until you have some steady money coming in,

I started working freelance when i was maccies crew member, it's definetly do-able! blush.gif

 

Personally though, i'd keep working their until you have some steady money coming in,

 

Thanks dude. :)

  • 2 weeks later...

It’s difficult to survive early days as a beginner in freelancing field. Once you set in your path, then you can earn income enormously, but it depends on how much experience you have, in your subject.

I'm in full time employment and looking to go freelance sometime soon...

 

But as stated above, get a website/portfolio first. And get to know some other web designers/developers also.

I'm 23 and have been freelancing for a year and 4 months and its going brilliantly.

 

Financially its better for me and I do enjoy it more as the projects are generally more interesting.

 

Freelancing does have its downsides though...limited contact during the day... you need to make sure you get out in the evenings and have hobbies that will get you away from the computer.

 

I have found that my age can be an issue when meeting face to face with clients. But once we get talking about my experience and their project (and I show them my work) then they don't seem to have any problem working with me at all. Most of my clients come back to me for more work as well, which is great.

 

Before you go freelance full time, do make sure you have some projects on the go and that you can get a steady stream of inquiries just in case you experience some quiet times in the beginning.

  • 2 weeks later...

I'm also looking to go freelance full time. I currently work part time for 2 companies and do freelance in my spare time. I would definately follow Authentic_Styles advice though :)

Has anyone thought about moving to somewhere cheap so they can work full time with low costs to get their business off the ground?

 

I know some people who are living in Thailand for £500 or even less per month during the start up phase of their biz. They can dedicate more time to it, don't have to live in poverty like most start ups and have an amazing experience.

Has anyone thought about moving to somewhere cheap so they can work full time with low costs to get their business off the ground?

 

I know some people who are living in Thailand for £500 or even less per month during the start up phase of their biz. They can dedicate more time to it, don't have to live in poverty like most start ups and have an amazing experience.

 

Wow, this is a very interesting idea :) Have you done this yourself? How would the communication be? how do you manage people elsewhere?

Wow, this is a very interesting idea :) Have you done this yourself? How would the communication be? how do you manage people elsewhere?

 

No I haven't... Thought about it though and actually I am still thinking about it. Since I just sit at a laptop 10 hours a day, 9 of which I'm not really doing anything just reading and talking to staff on skype I could be anywhere. I will be in the Philippines soon though to set up an office and hire/train staff.

 

If you look for a few blogs - excile lifestyle, thrilling heroics, digital nomad, johnny vagabond, location independant, location 180. There are a lot. It seems like everywhere now has Wifi, johnny rode a motorbike around Vietnam for a month (i think his budget is $8-900pm) and most hotels, bars, cafes have internet. He even has a section on his favourite offices, which are a mix of tropical islands or small downs or rice fields.

 

Yeah sounds like an amazing life. I worried about sacrificing my business though, but it's my staff that run it to be honest I just email clients so I could quite easily do this.

 

A member who was sometimes on here called Wizely traveled the world for a few years doing this as well.

No I haven't... Thought about it though and actually I am still thinking about it. Since I just sit at a laptop 10 hours a day, 9 of which I'm not really doing anything just reading and talking to staff on skype I could be anywhere. I will be in the Philippines soon though to set up an office and hire/train staff.

 

If you look for a few blogs - excile lifestyle, thrilling heroics, digital nomad, johnny vagabond, location independant, location 180. There are a lot. It seems like everywhere now has Wifi, johnny rode a motorbike around Vietnam for a month (i think his budget is $8-900pm) and most hotels, bars, cafes have internet. He even has a section on his favourite offices, which are a mix of tropical islands or small downs or rice fields.

 

Yeah sounds like an amazing life. I worried about sacrificing my business though, but it's my staff that run it to be honest I just email clients so I could quite easily do this.

 

A member who was sometimes on here called Wizely traveled the world for a few years doing this as well.

 

I would be very interested in doing this. :) I am still Fairly new to web / graphic design / dev. But when i have self taught myself a little more this would be an idea to pursue. :)

 

+1

I have seen your site, it's a lot better than most peoples sites. I would say it's not your ability that's holding you back.... Read those blogs I mentioned. Some of those guys knew nothing before going.

Depends on your skills. If you are competent than you can earn thousands of dollars through freelancing. It does take some time in getting right skills, experience and a good client base. Good luck for your future :)

No I haven't... Thought about it though and actually I am still thinking about it. Since I just sit at a laptop 10 hours a day, 9 of which I'm not really doing anything just reading and talking to staff on skype I could be anywhere. I will be in the Philippines soon though to set up an office and hire/train staff.

 

If you look for a few blogs - excile lifestyle, thrilling heroics, digital nomad, johnny vagabond, location independant, location 180. There are a lot. It seems like everywhere now has Wifi, johnny rode a motorbike around Vietnam for a month (i think his budget is $8-900pm) and most hotels, bars, cafes have internet. He even has a section on his favourite offices, which are a mix of tropical islands or small downs or rice fields.

 

Yeah sounds like an amazing life. I worried about sacrificing my business though, but it's my staff that run it to be honest I just email clients so I could quite easily do this.

 

A member who was sometimes on here called Wizely traveled the world for a few years doing this as well.

 

 

 

Nice visiting the Philippines! When could that be? we have a small firm in PH:)

  • 1 month later...

How's life as a freelance web designer?

 

..please help...need food...and sleep...so cold...

 

SCNR :D

Has anyone thought about moving to somewhere cheap so they can work full time with low costs to get their business off the ground?

 

I know some people who are living in Thailand for £500 or even less per month during the start up phase of their biz. They can dedicate more time to it, don't have to live in poverty like most start ups and have an amazing experience.

 

Hi lazytycoon, in my own experience, I know something like this :good: My friend, he comes from WA, USA, and now he lives in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. He's got a perfect team, with 2 web developers, 2 designers and 2 marketing online employees, and runs an online bussiness. His current office's still in WA. He stills sell products for those in USA but his online office is in Vietnam :lol:

Now it still works well. He doesn't cost much. Beside that, he has new friendly friends and a lovely fiancée here :lol:

 

Love it,

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.