Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Personal profile site

Featured Replies

So at some point I'm going to need to do a site for myself, get a domain name, hosting etc.

 

I was wondering if there was a guide for this kind of thing in respect to what name you use etc. Is it best to use your own name or come up with something else for both your site and your domain name?

 

What did you guys choose and why?

 

:)

I use my last name for my personal portfolio. I beleive it's quite logical.

Think about where you want to go with the business. If you plan on expanding, employing other people, I would say don't use your name. However if you want to stay as a freelancer then your name can add that personal touch.

That domain would be huge!

 

but unique

  • Author

Cheers guys :good:

 

I guess I'm kind of daydreaming of the future. I guess it can only be a positive thing to get an online presence going like twitter, blogs etc and after finding my name available as a domain name, I figured I'd ask.

 

How important is the last part to you domain name? Like .co.uk or .com? Does it even matter which one you choose?

How important is the last part to you domain name? Like .co.uk or .com? Does it even matter which one you choose?

It depends how you want to be perceived.

 

A .com might indicate that you are anywhere in the world, whereas a .co.uk would usually be interpreted as you being in the UK.

 

Additionally if you host in the UK and have a .co.uk domain name you stand a good chance of getting better search results in UK specfic search engines.

Two things:

 

1 - Easily spelled or communicated (no hard to pronounce words or words with odd spellings)

 

2 - Something that communicates what you do/are intending to do. Don't make someone guess or decode what service you're providing.

 

A good way to brainstorm is find words, ideas or general things that are relavant to what you do or what your business will do. A nice list of synonyms based on those words is a good starting point. This usually gives me additional ideas that i bouncing forward with.

 

Here's a great list of brainstorming techniques to get you going: www.mycoted.com/Category:Creativity_Techniques

  • Author

Ahhh sweet! I'll check the link out.

 

As a side note I've been looking at 123-reg.co.uk and their web hosting. That then linked me to other web hosts and now I'm more confused than when I started looking. I doubt I'll need all singing all dancing webspace as for a start I'm still learning. But I'd like to get things sorted. What sort of hosting would I need for a simple portfolio site?

When your learning, you can just sign up for free hosting. You can sign up for paid hosting, which may give you more space/bandwidth, probably be faster, and probably better support. But if its just for practice, these factors probably dont matter so much.

 

If you plan on supporting your clients, you can also buy reseller hosting, which you buy for a set price a month and resell that to your clients for an amount. This can be a good way of making a monthly salary. The downside is that you are responsible for the support, so if a client reports a problem you will have to manage it.

  • Author

When your learning, you can just sign up for free hosting. You can sign up for paid hosting, which may give you more space/bandwidth, probably be faster, and probably better support. But if its just for practice, these factors probably dont matter so much.

 

If you plan on supporting your clients, you can also buy reseller hosting, which you buy for a set price a month and resell that to your clients for an amount. This can be a good way of making a monthly salary. The downside is that you are responsible for the support, so if a client reports a problem you will have to manage it.

 

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Where can I sign up for the free hosting. I'm probably trying to run before I can walk here, but I guess I'm just getting frustrated. The learning part of my brain doesnt seem to be able to learn as quick as the rest of my brain wants to...lol

Think about where you want to go with the business. If you plan on expanding, employing other people, I would say don't use your name. However if you want to stay as a freelancer then your name can add that personal touch.

I read this in the July issue of Fortune, and i think it's quite relevant.

 

Today, at a time when jobs are scarce, successful employees working at large companies desperately need to create a "brand within a brand," a professional passport that travels with them from place to place.

You can still be your own brand and work for others, or remain your own brand and when the time is right start another entity. I'd say building a personal brand that will follow you through all your endeavours is a good idea.

 

http://money.cnn.com...rtune/index.htm

If I was setting up a personal profile, I'd use my full name and the extension of the country I'm in i.e. .co.uk

 

S

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.