Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How important is i 6 compatibility nowadays.

Featured Replies

Im just starting out as a web developer.My Welcome thread.

 

The titel gives the general just of my problem.

It seems to be one of my biggest problems when creating websites. I can get it working fine in every single browser but ie, and well enough in 8; 7 can be troublesome and 6 is just a nightmare.

 

How does everyone else handle this?

Sometimes i feel like making the site a list of links to other web-browsers if the user is using ie haha.

 

Cheers.

For me, it's very important as unfortunately, alot of people still do use it although it's slowly but surely being squeezed out. If your making a friends site or a personal site, you can even get it to a point where it 's still viewable and just include a message saying you will be phasing out support for IE6 soon.

 

I think experience will help you more than anything with alot of IE issues... if you run into an issue, you will Google around or ask on here and when you fix it - you will never be stuck on the same problem again.

 

One thing that helps greatly is having an in depth understanding of CSS and the box model - because at the end of that day, that's all it is. A sequence of boxes.

 

http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/html-css-techniques/9-most-common-ie-bugs-and-how-to-fix-them/

 

There's a good link to some common IE issues that might save you some hair later such as the double margin bug etc.

  • Author

Thanks for the advice, and the link , just reading through now and its already answered so many questions. :)

Glad to hear it, and remember you have the ultimate resource at your fingertips... the WDF! Haha

For me one of the biggest issues seems to be a reliable (and cheap!) way of testing on IE6. I thought I'd found a good solution in the portable IE6 on spoon.net, but even that seems to be unreliable at times.

 

What does everyone else do?

For me one of the biggest issues seems to be a reliable (and cheap!) way of testing on IE6. I thought I'd found a good solution in the portable IE6 on spoon.net, but even that seems to be unreliable at times.

 

What does everyone else do?

IETester - I boot Win 7 from my Mac and use that.

 

I know there are a lot of problems with IE6, and yes the layouts (mainly margins and padding) do differ slightly for me, but I rarely seem to have any serious problems with the sites I design. I've said this several times before, but it seems to fix IE6 layout issues every time;

 

Wherever in your CSS you're using:

 

float:left;

or

float:right;

 

Add this below or above, it fixes your site in IE and has no effect on the other browsers:

display:inline;

 

It never fails me, only some crazy header tag styling causes issues with IE6, but I've got used to that. Perhaps it's just my way of designing that seems to work with all browsers. I did originally (several years ago) learn the good old tabular layout method before learning CSS - perhaps that has something to do with my luck.

What do I do? Tell people to sort there lifes out. Update there browsers.

If companies like google & youtube (clearly the best web companies in the word) are giving up on IE 6. I'm falling in line and following them. I gave up on IE6 about 6 months ago unless specifically asked for

I gave up on IE6 about 6 months ago

 

That's 176,867,362 people down, another 1,557,126,380+ to go :nea:

Sources; Google, W3C, InternetWorldStats

Maybe them people should get with the times.

 

The only way people will upgrade is if people stop supporting it!!!

 

(Can you tell I have HUGE issues with IE6)

  • 2 weeks later...

IE6, BOOOOO.

 

I have a seperate file for IE nonsense and use conditional comments. My support for IE6 goes something like 'don't worry too much just get it looking ok within 30 minutes and move on'.

 

Unfortunately, IE6 is still around and its use will vary depending on the type of site you have. Use your site stats to analyse what browsers are being used and how often.

I think you need to think carefully about your possible clientel.

I am expecting web designers in the main to view my site. So, although I try to take users using ie7 and ie6 into account, I am not too bothered because I think that those who would be interested in my site would have already upgraded to ie8 or will be using firefox etc.

 

If you expect people from government departments or councils to be looking, then you should certainly design for ie6.

There is a growing campaign in the web development community calling for the death of version 6 of the Internet Explorer browser by Microsoft. Introduced in 2001, it had ruled the market share of browser usage for years until the coming of Mozilla’s Firefox and Microsoft’s own Internet Explorer 7.

For me one of the biggest issues seems to be a reliable (and cheap!) way of testing on IE6. I thought I'd found a good solution in the portable IE6 on spoon.net, but even that seems to be unreliable at times.

 

What does everyone else do?

 

I've got an old PIII PC with two old 40 Gb hard disks. Cost me little or nothing - thrown away by a friend plus a few bits and pieces from my stock of the same. I dual-boot a copy of win 2000 on each HDD with ie6 on one and ie 7 on another.

 

Doesn't help with the specific coding issue, but at least you can see how your sites look as you work. Oh, of course I have Firefox on both disks for real work. Got to be better than logging onto some site or other each time you want to preview changes!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.