Everything posted by Jambo
-
Storing customers Card or bank account details.
One question, if we were to only store bank account details, not card details, Would this regulation not apply? Are there any other laws of regulations that would? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_Card_Industry_Data_Security_Standard#Requirements Obviously i understand from a technical standpoint the risks would be the same.
-
Storing customers Card or bank account details.
Thanks for the links, i'll have a read, hopefully find a solution.
-
Storing customers Card or bank account details.
Thanks for the feedback, could you recommend a 3rd party service that actually does this? I have looked around but have not found anything.
-
Storing customers Card or bank account details.
I have recently agreed to perform research into the feasibility of a very large website project for a client. To cut to the chase in order for it do what the client requires i believe it will need to store customer payment details on the website, such as card details or bank account numbers. Firstly i was very skeptical and now after reading up a lot of information i have come to the conclusion this should not be done. Despite this, if the site was to be hosted on a dedicated server with an SSL certificate and a database that stored this information with encryption, would it be possible and worth creating it from a security and legal point of view? I'm still very skeptical. Now this next bit may sound a bit weird but i'm afraid the clients idea is to remain secret. Just bear with it. Now the reason i believe storing the payment information on our own server is the only way to achieve what they want is that; this information, only at the clients request, will be entered on different websites and a monthly direct debit will be set up from the clients account to the other sites. The amount, what company etc will all be at the clients discretion we will just streamline the signup process. Is there a third party system that already exists that could take the clients payment details, store them securely, then allow access to them in order for us to sign them up to other sites? Is this legal? Should this be done? I'm very skeptical about this and sure lot's of people will have some strong opinions, so please share.
-
Image slideshow - Wordpress
Bump.(sorry) Does no one have a solution for this? Surely wordpress is such an established blog platform that what i'm looking for already exists? I started using wordpress this time as i heard it was such a great time saver but after this outing i think i'll go back to just making my own php based cms solutions. Any help offered would be really appreciated.
-
Image slideshow - Wordpress
First real outing with word press on a clients site, so far i have disliked most of it, loved some of it and endured the rest, however i have persevered and it has began to pay of. Until now. I have hit a brick wall, i need to display a "slideshow" style image gallery in the header of the webpage, just a small one about 500px(W) 280px(h) and i am almost there. I am using nextgen gallery for my image management, no grumbles with it in particular. However it does not seem to have any native "image slideshow" support. I have found many plug-ins that do and this is where the problems lie. The closest i have got is by using the "Wordpress NextGen GalleryView", however this has it's major problems, it loads images at their full size causing unreasonable load times, even on a high speed connection. Also the it does not allow you to select anything on chrome or safari or firefox. Anyway, i hope you get the picture. If anyone has a idea for a solution whether it is using nextgen gallery or something else i would be very grateful for the help. Thanks.
-
Myspace band page (yes i know)
Basically i recently got a quick and simple contract to create a bands myspace page. Not something i usually do but it was for a friend. I have not touched myspace in a good 4 years, and it has changed a lot. I have the graphics and markup for the site complete, however my problem lies with actually getting it onto myspace. It does not support html and css in the same way that it once did ( you cant just paste the code nastily into the "about me" or whatever section). To elaborate... http://faq.myspace.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/227 This is outdated. There is no option to select "no theme", no "Advanced edit" / "Css" option. Also many "how to" guides seem to be outdated, in the screen shots the " Editor " is different and many options they talk about do not exist. So please don't just link me to a "customising myspace 2.0" how to guide unless it has actually worked for you, because chances are i have already seen it and it is no good. I'm sure there is a very simple fix, thanks
-
Some of my site designs, What does everyone think?
Thanks for the advice, its really made me look at design from a new angle, i spent last night looking at lots of different sites as well as reading up on layout concepts. I had a go at creating a newer kind of layout that seems to be steadily growing in popularity. I then, after coming up with the layout, as you suggested; whent about choosing the colour scheme and making it look nice. I know there is still room for improvement but i think this is a step in right direction. I plan to use it eventually as a homepage for my future webdesign company. The content of the blue bar is just an example and this could range from additonal navigation to a summary of the page. The white block is obliviously where the bulk of the information will be stored. So, a step in the right direction? One thing i am slightly unsure about is branding / logo placement. Thanks again for your advice its really helped me so much.
-
How to automatically update menubar on every page?
I would recommend using php includes to do it as previously stated, they are really very easy, aswell as the bonus of it being server side. Although the javascript technique empek has mentioned does look rather nice , i was experiementing with a simular concept but using jquery. However i ran accross a minor problem / annoyance, unlike php includes all the code for my menu had to be on a single line. Not an ideal solution as the menu code then becomes difficult to interpret and update. Is there a way of alowing the code to be layed out conventionally on multiple lines, like in a php file? The only other comparison i can think of to help explain what i am trying to say is that in vb.net you can layout code on multiple lines as you desire by typing a " _ " where you want to end the line and then continuing on the next.
-
Some of my site designs, What does everyone think?
Cheers points taken on-board and ill do a bit more research. Like i said I'm really not a designer and i do struggle when creating these designs, so yes i can certainly improve. Also i agree the first is a bit to photoshopped.( although they are all done in fireworks, for the record heh). And ill take out the bevel effects and see what i come up with. What about the last design. I was going for a more simple visual style. Its just drop shadows and gradients no bevels, would you say its an improvement? Thanks for the advice.
-
Starting out
Cheers, ill have a look around for that book and any others i can find.
-
Some of my site designs, What does everyone think?
Firstly i am more of a developer than a designer, however recently i have been doing a bit of both. Here are a few website designs i'm currently creating. Tell me what you think (sorry that they are only screen shots but i have not sorted a out a web-hosting server as of yet, also some are incomplete) Also to note: - dont worry there is not a table in site in any of the sites, I use xhtml, css, some jquery and a few php includes for the menus On the IGMO clan site. Menu ^ This is a site i was creating for a gaming clan. Unfortunately they got sponsored and have been provided with a rather nasty template they would rather use. So this site will never be fully finished. The menus are created entirely using css. Also it was being set up to work with the cms unify. ^ This is a current project for a friend of mines music promotion company. I have only just started to create the code so here is the image mock up i created. ^ This is planned to be my personal site to showcase my work (not a company site, But to show potential employers my work). It is still under construction. The menu is animated using jquery and works rather well. Ignor the scrollbars in the center, Im trying a smooth-transition-style content presenter using jquery. Well let me know what you think, as you can see its very early days still.
-
Drop down menus - Should you always use UL
Should i always use Unordered lists to create a drop down / expanding menu ? I always find it easier with named div's, when coding menus it always seems to come together better when using div's. The end product is the same. However wherever i look i'm told to use Unordered lists. Yet these always seem to cause layout problems when i create menus using them. Cheers
-
How important is i 6 compatibility nowadays.
Thanks for the advice, and the link , just reading through now and its already answered so many questions.
-
How important is i 6 compatibility nowadays.
Im just starting out as a web developer.My Welcome thread. The titel gives the general just of my problem. It seems to be one of my biggest problems when creating websites. I can get it working fine in every single browser but ie, and well enough in 8; 7 can be troublesome and 6 is just a nightmare. How does everyone else handle this? Sometimes i feel like making the site a list of links to other web-browsers if the user is using ie haha. Cheers.
-
Starting out
My intro thread Hi, im just entering the business world of web development, and basically I'm trying to get as much information on it as possible. I'm planning on going into a partnership with a friend of mine, the plan is for him to handle the business side of things as well as dealing with clients ( for the most part) and for me to create the websites as such and also to employ someone as a designer as although i am not half bad, its not where my interest lies. I have researched a fair bit and found a lot of information. But im always looking for more, So any recommended resources or advice is welcome. So far I have a few projects under way for friends etc to get my foot in the door as such and showcase what I can do. I'm also working on a on-line portfolio site for myself to showcase my work. Ill post some sites on the forums soon for everyone to have a look at and Review. Thanks, James.
-
Hello
Hi, I'm James a 19 year old who is just stepping into the web development world. I have been working as a Vb.net - WPF developer for about the past year, but have found that web development is more where my interest lies, Therefore as of recent i have started creating websites for friends etc. It interests me greatly and provides and nice bit of cash on the side. I'm looking to forward more career more into the web-development side of things. Just to clarify i'm not a WYSIWYG editor moron, but an actual capable programmer / coder. Haha I think that's about it, so hi everyone!