Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

HTML to Wordpress

Featured Replies

I am about to start a site in HTML form as advised... and then adapt to Wordpress theme... before I start - is there anything I should not do?..... or can I go ahead and float all I like or AP all I like and use Spry menus etc...? :unsure:

I will do a simple Wordpress theme to get the drift... I'm ahead of myself a bit.... :D

 

What about CSS designs from www.oswd.org (Open Source Web Design) - freely download a design and strip out the code for Wordpress...!? I've had a look and I think I'd rather do my own thing... to be truly the 'web-master'!

I find it time saving to download this theme, which is the bare bone minimum of wordpress, and then build it from there up, adding HTML, images and CSS.

 

I think this way is much easier for newbies since instead of building the HTML and then putting in the unfamiliar wordpress content, you get the hard part out of the way, and then build the HTML/CSS that you already know.

 

And to answer your question, you can do any floating, sprites and other techniques as you would normally use in any other website.

 

Cheers!

  • Author

I find it time saving to download this theme, which is the bare bone minimum of wordpress, and then build it from there up, adding HTML, images and CSS.

 

I think this way is much easier for newbies since instead of building the HTML and then putting in the unfamiliar wordpress content, you get the hard part out of the way, and then build the HTML/CSS that you already know.

 

And to answer your question, you can do any floating, sprites and other techniques as you would normally use in any other website.

 

Cheers!

 

Brilliant! Thanks... I will see how I go... er .... all things being equal and considering the fact I do understand CSS and HTML via "The Missing Manuals" how long roughly would it take for a basic site at a methodical plod!?.... (medium piece of string!)

One more thing sir, can Flash sideshows work in Wordpress - I downloaded a slideshow or two from FlashTuning which don't seem to, like php... maybe a daft question but still...! :) or perhaps could you suggest a site with slideshows that will work with Wordpress!

I like to use jQuery Cycle. You can check it out on my site!

 

I think you can get a basic wp theme going in about 5-10 hours, depending on how complicated you'd like it to be.

As I said to you in a PM, it's very hard to explain how it all works to you when you have absolutely no CMS starting point to explain from.

 

Get stuck in, have a go with a basic theme and once you have Wordpress setup and doing something like what you want it to you will begin to understand what Wordpress is capable of and how.

 

Whether you start by building a theme, or start by playing with someone else's it doesn't really matter, the first thing you need to do really is actually install Wordpress and take a look at the software itself!

 

At the moment you're kinda asking how to make spaghetti bolognaise before you've figured out what a saucepan is!

  • Author

As I said to you in a PM, it's very hard to explain how it all works to you when you have absolutely no CMS starting point to explain from.

 

Get stuck in, have a go with a basic theme and once you have Wordpress setup and doing something like what you want it to you will begin to understand what Wordpress is capable of and how.

 

Whether you start by building a theme, or start by playing with someone else's it doesn't really matter, the first thing you need to do really is actually install Wordpress and take a look at the software itself!

 

At the moment you're kinda asking how to make spaghetti bolognaise before you've figured out what a saucepan is!

 

Gotcha... locating saucepan....! :flm13:

Hehe, I second what ErisDS said. You've got to get your hands dirty in Wordpress, it's really fun!

  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for pointing me in the direction of Starkers.

 

I am not skilled in building WordPress themes, and have to build a relatively complex one in the coming days. I am sure this will be a huge help.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.