Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

tog

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tog

  1. Wow! Nice one Samus - never heard of Brackets before - looks pretty amazing. As its created and maintained by Adobe who create/maintain Dreamweaver I would have thought there must be at least some overlap with Brackets wizardry as its from the same stable...but then again its a different beast! Its very interesting that you say Split view doesn't exactly show how it would be in the browser, thats just bizarre!
  2. Yes rallport you are right...its time to move away from the abstract-ness of Dreamweaver, although I use the 'split-view' rather than the 'design-view' because watching the code change means you can learn and watch what happens when you add stuff and take it away. Good tip to use CodeIgniter - thats my next stop... no progress until I get to grips with the PHP Framework as you say. I posted because many people will have the Missing Manual CS5 Dreamweaver book and successfully completed what I am trying to do with no problems...or had the same problem and somehow fixed it easily. I must be doing something small to be screwing things up...so I took a chance posting to the 'gurus' such as yourself. Some 'home-truths' were expected and of course gratefully received as it confirmed to me I have to get my act together!
  3. Thanks for your replies. I am following the CS5 Missing Manual book to the letter so I am at a loss as to why I have files in the wrong place...I will look to see but I am no expert with .php intricacies... rbrtsmith I also have Wordpress sites but the real pain of that is the constant updating of Wordpress itself and the extensions...obviously if you are a developer then having your sites hosted by a provider that does all that for you is the answer. With my static Dreamweaver sites the upkeep is minimal and a breeze. In the meantime I'll try to dissect whats going on jo5hr - the files are already sorted out because the tutorial is a direct download from the Missing Manual site... the database worked great but its only when I tried to add the categories down the side that it all went 'blank' although like I said the 'product.php' is still visible on the browser which means the data is being retrieved from the database for that page. It must be something to do with the dynamic links. You would think if you followed a tutorial to the letter you would get results without hassle!
  4. Hi Working on a MAMP localhost. Trying to master 'Displaying Database Info' tutorial with Dreamweaver CS5 Missing Manuals - the have no forum I can find. Almost completed it and it worked... until I tried to create categories of products down the left hand side of the page (page 919 if you have done it!), but the index page (visible in Dreamweaver Design view) just becomes a blank white page when viewed on a browser - I have been stuck for quite a while! I have repeated the tutorial over and over with no success at the same place every time. The 'product page' however brings up the page no problem straight from the MySQL database - its just the index.php and categories.php pages that are blank. Chrome says its a 'Internal Server Error 500' [03-Aug-2013 14:38:18 Europe/Berlin] PHP Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required 'Connections/connCosmo.php' (include_path='.:/Applications/MAMP/bin/php/php5.4.10/lib/php') in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/cosmo_shop4/category_9CQRUQYGFU.php on line 1 [03-Aug-2013 14:38:23 Europe/Berlin] PHP Warning: require_once(Connections/connCosmo.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/cosmo_shop4/category.php on line 1 [03-Aug-2013 14:38:23 Europe/Berlin] PHP Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required 'Connections/connCosmo.php' (include_path='.:/Applications/MAMP/bin/php/php5.4.10/lib/php') in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/cosmo_shop4/category.php on line 1 [03-Aug-2013 22:45:19 Europe/Berlin] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ';' in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/cosmo_shop4/index.php on line 55 Tried getting rid of the ';' but another error pops up nearby! These guys http://encodable.com/internal_server_error/ gave this advice: "Line endings: the cause of the transfer-mode problem is actually another problem in itself: different types of Operating Systems (namely, Windows vs. UNIX/Linux/everything) use different character codes to represent line-endings. If your server is a UNIX server, but you're editing your CGI script on a Windows computer with a text-editor that doesn't use UNIX-style line-endings, it'll cause problems. Applications like GoLive and Dreamweaver sometimes get this wrong. Even built-in editors can't agree: WordPad (not Word) seems to get it right while Notepad messes it up. So try opening & saving your CGI script in a different text editor and uploading it to the server again." I am stuck trying to find the CGI script - perhaps that means the php code? ...also the .htaccess file is no-where to be seen when I 'Show Hidden Files' in Dreamweaver. Any pointers would be fantastic - I'm hoping its something simple...
  5. Thanks chaps you helped me back on the right path...you were right 4li4s but I still very carefully followed http://documentation.mamp.info/en/mamp/installation/updating-mamp - as I already have a version of MAMP in the Applications folder. Big boo-boo I made: Trying to be clever I moved the MAMP folder out of Applications thinking I would have a back-up - bad move I lost all my websites! - hello 'Time Machine' you saved the day! Talk about going round-the-mulberry bush, good grief! Thanks for your quick assistance, I'll be back to try and help others if I can! Cheers!
  6. You guys are pretty spectacular! http://localhost:8888/my-test-site/ brings up a white blank page so a connection of sorts! ....mmmm.... http://localhost:8889/my-test-site/ brings up a page with ..... J 5.5.29rR$Zzxi(ÿ÷€(0YPc$%+Jt)kmysql_native_password!ÿ„#08S01Got packets out of order... I'm not sure what that is in English! Typing 'localhost' brings up 'no connection' cosmo_grab.tiff 4li4s you may be right! I'll give it a shot...I am following Missing Manual Dreamweaver CS5 tutorial...by the way, I just cannot get past pg 919 'Operators Standing By' last section - just goes blank! Perhaps you have done it?
  7. Hello I upgraded to the MAMP 2.1.3 setup with Apache and MySQL running with green lights...however no browser can connect to localhost. I upgraded for the sake of MySQLi My folders are in htdocs and the databases in db/mysql... I followed http://documentation.mamp.info/en/mamp/installation/updating-mamp Local site folder: /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/my-test-site Web URL : http://localhost/my-test-site/ I can see the folders/files on the testing server on Dreamweaver no problem but weirdly cannot get the browsers to 'link-up'. Because I was a little confused about where Apache 'lived' exactly, I turned on Apache bundled with Mac OSX via the terminal...I then realised that you can have two separate Apaches and also realised I would prefer the easy route with MAMP so turned it off again hoping that would correct matters (as opposed to this set-up :http://coolestguyplanettech.com/downtown/install-and-configure-apache-mysql-php- and-phpmyadmin-osx-108-mountain-lion) Whilst renaming the MAMP folders perhaps the path to htdocs has been upset somehow...I'm not much of a geek (a geek in the making perhaps) as you can see, but thats the only reason I can logically come up with as to why the browsers can't connect! Thanks!
  8. tog replied to tog's topic in E-Commerce Discussion
    Thanks for the advice yangyang! What an eye-opener... a real shocker...sorry to hear about your experience (and the experience of others). I also read the reviews on the link you included and I am left thankful I did not try out .go for myself! Yuk! This all makes me wonder what is going to happen with X-Commerce. I hope its going to be all singing-and-dancing as they are hyping it, but I certainly will not plumb for a X-Commerce.go version! I like your blog by the way! Interesting stuff!
  9. A brilliant fantastic hosting provider... www.5quidhost.co.uk... read the reviews... awesome service and good prices
  10. Hi From what I have seen there are no negatives on the Magento forum about Magento.go.... mmmm.... either its 'out-of-this-world' or we have a vetting system in place ie. 'read only'... the charges are, lets say... interesting and quite pricey I think. There seems to be no comments on this forum about Magento.go either! A bit odd! Anyone like to enlighten us with their thoughts?! I thought it would probably best to go through the learning curve with the free version rather than shell out in the long run for 'go'... although it does look a 'convenient' option.
  11. tog posted a topic in General Chat
    Hi From what I have seen there are no negatives on the Magento forum about Magento.go.... mmmm.... either its 'out-of-this-world' or we have a vetting system in place ie. 'read only'... the charges are, lets say... interesting and quite pricey I think. There seems to be no comments on this forum about Magento.go either! A bit odd! Anyone like to enlighten us with their thoughts?! I thought it would probably best to go through the learning curve with the free version rather than shell out in the long run for 'go'... although it does look a 'convenient' option. I realise I'm in the General chat section so I've posted the same question in the eCommerce discussion area...
  12. OK...you have officially freaked me out! I'll replace the code I have with the official code... e'gads!... hopefully not followed by 'boom!' ... just kidding! Thanks very much for the full code... I will check out the magento extras (wait a minute... these are the extras!?) anything that helps makes the program 'just-do-its-thing' so that its rock solid would give more peace of mind. For some reason the above code in all its glory does not work... mmmm.... I'll have another go...
  13. Thanks for that... I had no idea... some examples would be great... that you have found useful perhaps?
  14. Very good point - so the default theme is back.. and my other theme works! wow! Very helpful link below to anyone else falling over simple stuff... take your time and REFRESH the page! http://www.magentocommerce.com/design_guide/articles/working-with-magento-themes
  15. OK its sorted! Right, in Magento for beginners by William Rice - it reckons you can have more than one template file under frontend/defaults in both the 'app' and 'skin' folders and give them their own name. After hours of trying to smack a square peg into a round hole and trying to understand the support, I thought the solution was obvious: just drag and drop the default file theme into the relevant frontend folder and when asked to replace the existing default file - click yes! ... er... don't do this... .... see the reply below!!
  16. Hi I'm trying to install a theme from Templates Master.com.... I have followed the instructions to the letter. It must be me! (Yep!) The theme files are in the correct locations 'app/design/frontend/default/f002' and 'skin/frontend /default/f002' I selected the theme from Admin>System>Configuration>Design tab and saved changes - nothing happens although it does try to do something on the browser bar and then sort of gives up and I'm left with the the default theme. Easy Solution!: http://www.magentocommerce.com/design_guide/articles/working-with-magento-themes In the above link make sure the names of the folders are correct... I was using 'default' - the theme folder should have been selected of course and not default! Make sure to save page and Refresh!
  17. You are a genius sir! I thought it hadn't worked - stupidly I forgot to save the .htaccess file with the gubbins you gave me! Just about to hit the hay when I was asked if I wanted to save... wha...the... I saved it and boom! It works! Totally awesome and simply brilliant! Thankyou very much!
  18. Hi Magento working great on the Admin side - any changes to the site name actually do take place on the home page. However when I go to the home page the links give me 404's - must be an easy solution! Anyone know the solution to the .htaccess and Apache_mod rewrites? I have done the following as advised on http://www.tutorio.com/tutorial/enable-mod-rewrite-on-apache: "Enable mod_rewrite Find the httpd.conf file (usually you will find it in a folder called conf, config or something along those lines) Inside the httpd.conf file uncomment the line LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so (remove the pound '#' sign from in front of the line) - I checked this and it was already uncommented. Also find the line ClearModuleList [i could not find this!] is uncommented then find and make sure that the line AddModule mod_rewrite.c [i could not find this either!] is not commented out." Done the above - links no worky... any further suggestions greatly appreciated!
  19. Hi... Sitegrinder3 - looks amazing. Is it any good at eCommerce!
  20. Hi! ! had delayed email notification (should have been immediate) so just picked up your offer of help... thanks, but I have just sorted it! Very simple solution as I thought it would be... I downloaded the new version of jQuery which clashed with the jQuery I already had whilst following Javascript The Missing Manual - I have been sticking to the Javascript tutorial like glue but thought I'd be clever and use the latest jQuery version - thinking it was backwards compatible - lesson learned - it isn't! Simply copied the older code and pasted it over the newer version and 'ka-baam!' - back in business! Thanks for the offer sir!
  21. The jQuery LightBox works great in my site and the window pops out nicely as it should except for the CloseX button and the loading icon. All I get is a question mark in Safari and a broken link sign in Google Chrome... why is this when all the image files are in the images folder!? The Prev and next buttons are perfect and in the same folder as the CloseX and loading icon. I've moved the folders around trying to get the browser to see the CloseX and loading icon to no avail.... no idea what to try next... apart from dissect the Javascript which is supposed to be automatic in his case... so its a link problem but what...? Thanks for any help!
  22. Thanks very much... brilliant!
  23. Yes it works... but using CSS: 'repeat' - it should be a solid line and not dashed... the effect is caused by this little 9X9px square. Are you really getting no dashes!? The darker orange should be a solid line - no breaks... firesquare.tiff
  24. Sorry about attachment failure! doh..! Unable to link to fireworks document as it is not on the web yet...
  25. stripes - but dash!?.tiff Helloo! I made 9px X 9px box in Fireworks with a background orange. I then put a line of 2px and a dark orange from one diagonal to the other with no gaps... when placing it in a background in Dreamweaver it ends up as dashes...? Can anyone help? Thanks chaps and chapesses! I've attached the effect I get - its a 'grab'. Cheers!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.