Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Next step

Featured Replies

Hey there guys

 

Here I am. No expert but can manage moderately good websites. Working on portfolio and will also do a couple of mockups for two possible jobs coming up.

 

I have css and html knowledge (intermediate maybe), an understanding of javascript and php although not really able to create my own. I can do mail forms (with help from my friends ;) ). I have learnt how to slice and dice up templates, and have been playing with gimp loads so am much happier with this. I understand more about design and typography although still not a web goddess.

 

So what do you more experienced guys think are the most important things to learn in order to be attractive to the smaller companies that want websites?

 

Thanks ppl, again :)

Learn in this order XHTML -> CSS -> JavaScript -> PHP

 

That's what I'm going to do. :)

Hi,

I read this article about the 10 most sought after web design skills here. This might help in some way. From my observation in job postings for both fulltime and freelance, the most common skills companies/clients look after are xhtml, css, php, javascript and cms like joomla.

 

There is also a new open source application that allows non-designer to make their own website by just dragging and dropping the pictures and putting in text contents in minutes. It also enables them to edit, update anytime they need to at a faster rate. Sometimes I would encounter clients who are not designers but can do mockups in photoshop and convert to html. And usually the reason they hire me is because they don't have the time. I think the client needs/requirements would change as the years go by.

 

Thanks and regards.

Obviously, keep stretching the skills you have...

 

XHTML is good as is CSS.

 

A server side language wouldn't hurt (I use Coldfusion). Along with this you'll need database skills (MySQL is a popular choice).

 

The other thing to get into is DOM scripting, this will lead to AJAX with which you can do some amazing things !

Honestly, I prefer to master one skill first, before I move on to the next.......I don't want to be classed as a "jack of all trades, master of none".

 

Just my little opinion :)

  • Author

Thanks all - appreciate your responses.

 

Helen - I understand what you are saying.... I think I need to go back and try php or javascript some more.

 

It's no easy feat for me lol! :)

For my money - PHP or ASP would be a great place to get started - especially if you want to cated for small businesses. It will enable you to interface your sites with a database, implement interactive features that can't be disabled by the browser and will teach you a broad range of scripting skills that are common to most other languages.

  • Author

ASP is microshaft isn't it? Is that something you can only use with windows?

 

Thanks sun :)

asp can only be used with windows "officialy" there are ways and means around it... 'WINE' is an example...

 

If I was you i'd learn nice clean xhtml and css first then move onto things that are more classed as programming... javascript/php was my choice. I learnt php first the javascript, once you've learnt one language others follow quite easily

  • Author

How do you know then when your xhtml and css is good enough??

 

Sorry all the questions :)

How do you know then when your xhtml and css is good enough??

 

Sorry all the questions :)

 

When your websites a) look good and b ) have no errors when validated against standards !

 

Either that or you find you can answer the questions here as opposed to ask them ! ;)

When I don't need to ask a question, as I already know it. Then I will be a true CSS master :flm16:

  • Author

I have always strived to validate my stuff. I guess I am struggling to identify where I am experience wise in the web design food chain. i am pretty sure I am not right at the bottom.

 

 

Thanks guys, I feel like I have lots of mothers lmao :)

Thanks guys, I feel like I have lots of mothers lmao :)

 

So you go and tidy your room young lady.......eat your greens and wash behind your ears.............I'll be checking!!!!

  • Author

Mac - Just had a good look at that website of the 10 top skills.....who here has those?

:blink:

Mac - Just had a good look at that website of the 10 top skills.....who here has those?

:blink:

I think that list seems to be desirable skills above and beyond the basics. and I think it also takes into account a certain amount of trend prediction.

Mac - Just had a good look at that website of the 10 top skills.....who here has those?

:blink:

 

Hi Guezala

Like what TBreak commented, it's general trend in skills demand depending on the needs of companies/clients. In my opinion, your next best step is developing php and javascript. Usually big web companies assemble a web team, like someone does the design and another does the coding and programming etc. Smaller companies prefer the designer having more than one skills like designing and coding. Php skills would be a plus to them. I worked with a big web company and I was only designing and mockups only, no coding or css. They had another dept that does those. And I also did freelance with smaller companies, they required me to code with css. Most of these small companies needed php and javascript skills and not much of asp or .net; at least in the clients I encountered. I don't know in your area. In the job postings I see, the most common skills medium size companies needed for designers was designing mockups, coding with no tables with css. Some required php.

Hi Guezala

Like what TBreak commented, it's general trend in skills demand depending on the needs of companies/clients. In my opinion, your next best step is developing php and javascript. Usually big web companies assemble a web team, like someone does the design and another does the coding and programming etc. Smaller companies prefer the designer having more than one skills like designing and coding. Php skills would be a plus to them. I worked with a big web company and I was only designing and mockups only, no coding or css. They had another dept that does those. And I also did freelance with smaller companies, they required me to code with css. Most of these small companies needed php and javascript skills and not much of asp or .net; at least in the clients I encountered. I don't know in your area. In the job postings I see, the most common skills medium size companies needed for designers was designing mockups, coding with no tables with css. Some required php.

 

Yer I agree, near enough every job i look at wants HTML,CSS,Javascript,PHP,Mysql, and quite a few seem to say Flash/Actionscript is desirable.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.