Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The going rate for a 5-10 page website?

Featured Replies

I have been curious what the going rate is for a 5-10 page website I email a few web designers through there sites.

 

with a website including a photo gallery varying from 299 to 1035? quite a difference.

 

so what is the going rate for an average designer with a simple CSS, HTML based website?

All depends on what else the site needs, I would need to know a lot more than a 5-10 page website with a gallery therefore I would quote more because I don't know if there is going to be any problems.

I'm with Thomas. From experience, the more vague a requirements spec, the more the project will end up costing.

I would ask for specifics regarding functionality, content, does the client need to update the site themselves [as that bumps the cost up hugely] - is is five pages or 10? what exactly does 5-10 pages mean - does that mean it starts off a small site and is going to expand and develop so it needs flexibility etc etc - all this info is required before I give a quote otherwise it's just not realistic. If the client remains vague, then I tell them to go elsewhere as I know they're going to be a nightmare and constantly change their minds.

  • Author

hmmm right hypothetically lets say its a website for..

 

a Tattooist. its 5 pages long.

1 Page - Welcome / News

2 - Rates

3 - Images of people tattooed / cost if they updated (and cost if designer)

4 - Location

5 - About

Ok, that's a reasonable start, but a lot more information would be needed for it to be a 'complete' set of requirements.

 

For instance, the complexity of the site design is a factor - if it's a very simple design then it's not going to take long to create it, but if it's really flashy and complicated then it's going to take longer, and hence should cost the client more.

 

Next, how will the web site be maintained? By a pro or by them? If you're going to maintain static HTML pages then more effort is required the more pages there are. For a 5 page web site the difference in setup time is probably negligible, but if you're going to use a CMS then you have to take into account the time it's going to take to train the client to use it.

 

Is the 'News' section going to be just a static page that gets updated manually every now and then, or does it need to be dynamic and include an RSS feed?

 

With the image gallery, there are a lot of different options giving different levels of functionality, and which take varying amounts of time and effort to do. If it's just images on a page, that's not going to cost much. If you're integrating something like Lightbox then that might take fractionally longer. If you want a fully-featured gallery allowing people leave comments and stuff then you're gonna need something more like Gallery2, and integrating that into the design is going to cost you.

 

Location could be a simple page with an address, or you could embed a Google map on the page.

 

Finally, how much time is going to be spent on SEO? What measures is the client prepared to do, and how much are they willing to spend to get their web site publicised for them?

 

 

So, my point is that there are a lot of factors you need to consider, not just the number of pages. Prices will range from £299 - £1035 for a reason. A cheapo web site (my own prices start even lower than that!) may not cost much, but it won't necessarily do as much (or as well) as a site of the same size but costing 5 times as much. Ask yourself what the web site has to DO, not how big it is.

since you are looking for price.

 

around 1200USD at least. most of my websites with a simple design, 5-10 pages falls into that price level.

but of course, it would go up depends on the features..

 

B)

  • 4 weeks later...

Wow, it's turned into a right bidding war hasn't it!

 

I'll do it for a bag of pork scratchings!* :fool:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*All quotations are made up and will not be honoured. Unless they're really good pork scratchings.

Wow, it's turned into a right bidding war hasn't it!

 

I'll do it for a bag of pork scratchings!* :fool:

 

Teehee, I designed a website for a smartie cookie...ok it was a site for my boyfriend but at least he paid me :lol:

 

 

 

Anyway back to the bidding war...I won't say how much I would do a site for without knowing what the site needs as a 10 page site could be a 10 page e-commerce site.

I've just tried pricing a job (ended up at about £250 for a simple 5 page show and tell HTML/CSS - and that cheap only because it's my first paid job so I haven't got an accurate idea of how long it takes me).

Then the customer suggested they might want an interactive calendar booking system and payment gateway.....

that price might need to change.

One of the difficulties is in conveying to your customer the different technologies involved in creating apparently simple features.

I've just tried pricing a job (ended up at about £250 for a simple 5 page show and tell HTML/CSS - and that cheap only because it's my first paid job so I haven't got an accurate idea of how long it takes me).

Then the customer suggested they might want an interactive calendar booking system and payment gateway.....

that price might need to change.

One of the difficulties is in conveying to your customer the different technologies involved in creating apparently simple features.

 

 

I know that feeling we quoted just over £1000 for an e-commerce site, we finnished the site for him and then he decides he wants a load of new functions in to the site, we said to do these we would need to add a bit more onto the bill and he doesn't understand why he has to pay more. I always want to say to this type of client, imagine I came to you and asked for 10 of one of the products you are selling and we agreed on the price, I later realise that 10 isn't enough I need 100 instead would you let me have those 100 products for the same price we agreed on for the 10 or would you expect me to pay more for them? Its just because it isn't really a physical thing that makes it hard for people to understand just how much work it takes to build in extra functions.

I always want to say to this type of client, imagine I came to you and asked for 10 of one of the products you are selling and we agreed on the price, I later realise that 10 isn't enough I need 100 instead would you let me have those 100 products for the same price we agreed on for the 10 or would you expect me to pay more for them? Its just because it isn't really a physical thing that makes it hard for people to understand just how much work it takes to build in extra functions.

 

I admire your restraint at only wanting to say that, Dizi!

 

Having said that, that might be exactly what some clients need to be told so they understand the situation.

 

Over the years, I have worked on so many corporate projects where senior managers have allowed 'scope creep', and it has had a huge detrimental impact. (Practically every government IT project is a good example too!)

 

Now I'm running things for myself, I'm very structured when it comes to requirement capture, etc. and use proper project management methodology to keep this sort of thing in check. That focuses the client on actually deciding what they want and need. It doesn't completely eliminate additional requirements coming along, but it makes it much easier to demonstrate to the client what the impact and additional cost will be.

I would personally charge £200 - £800 because there are more factors that you have to take into condsideration. Not just the amount of pages the website consists of...

Teehee, I designed a website for a smartie cookie...ok it was a site for my boyfriend but at least he paid me :lol:

 

 

 

Anyway back to the bidding war...I won't say how much I would do a site for without knowing what the site needs as a 10 page site could be a 10 page e-commerce site.

 

 

You got paid a cookie.... hmmm best email my friends (who i am slowly building them something for free) my prices have gone up... and i want payments in cookies.....

 

Anyway i haven't worked out my prices... i first need to work out how much i want to be paid per hour.... (or amount of cookies per hour)

For something like this, where the client is so vague on the requirements, I normally come in at £1200 inc. VAT.

 

I would include web hosting (and it's quality hosting, not cheapo hosting that will go down on you a lot - not as nice it it sounds!) free for a year in that price, and a fee thereafter.

 

Domain registration free too.

 

Some of my local 'competitors' are quoting very small prices for the 'same' thing, ranging from £400 - 700. In my experience, and from what I have observed (about 30% of my business comes from people who have taken cheapo deals and got a cheapo looking site), the factors governing price usually end up as:

 

# Whether the person is doing this full time, and dedicated to the cause. Many people claim to be this but in fact they are working 2 jobs, or not even out of school yet! This affects contact-ability, accountability and of course the quality of the work.

 

# The quality of the graphic design work, and the amount of flexibility allowed in design changes before committing to a final design. Cheaper deals won't even let you make a single change to the design, you are just stuck with the one they come up with. More expensive deals will allow the Client to be happy with the design before accepting it.

 

# Whether proper attention has been paid to usability, underlying code, semantics, file size optimisation, best-practice in terms of code, CSS, etc. Many cheaper deals will simply use FrontPage or other similar tools that are not designed for professional use - instead they produce sites that sort of work, but come riddled with messy and bad-practice coding.

 

# The level of service. Some designers do not think web design is worthy of project management. With no proper project management tool, the project will quickly get out of control and the end result will differ quite a bit from the original requirements. More expensive designers usually include project management and will have far better general organisation - I know I'd rather have my project in the hand of somebody that's well organised.

 

# How much they can help you when there is a problem with the work. Good designers will build in some sort of contingency and add this to the quote. This means they can spend time on unforeseen problems (which always crop up), without any problems.

 

I think it's always worthy to say that if a designer quotes you a very low price, they are less bothered about the project and it won't be a priority. If I am taking £1200 off a client, I know I'd be falling over myself to make sure the Client is happy.

 

And on a personal note, some designers don't care about whether the end product is good quality or not - whereas other (usually more expensive) designers will care greatly about the work produced and take pride in it. I know that's certainly true for me, and I never want to be in a situation where the Client is not 100% happy.

 

All in all, constructing a web site consists of many, many factors. As a client that is not in the web design industry, you are at a disadvantage because you won't know about all these (many of which are not obvious). There is no way that all of these can be properly seen to unless time is allocated for it - and time costs money :)

 

Hope that helps!

I have been curious what the going rate is for a 5-10 page website I email a few web designers through there sites.

 

with a website including a photo gallery varying from 299 to 1035? quite a difference.

 

so what is the going rate for an average designer with a simple CSS, HTML based website?

 

From what I've heard, 100-1000 just about sums it up for a 5-10 page static site. The same requests come up time after time, how can I update it, say I want to add more pictures, etc...so you have the typical cost of maintenance associated...usually an hourly rate that people don't like the sound of....Some have their client base and just take good care of their clients, which usually represents your dedication to continued support...Charge along the way in bite size chunks...I think this client nurturing model is best for this type of work as many will continue to not understand what they are paying for.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.