Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cabbage

Privileged
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Cabbage

  1. I'll have to check out the IRC channel, I think I was around when it was first set up.
  2. Besides the myriad of problems with your code (I won't go there as you asked people not to critique it) you really shouldn't be storing your passwords in plain text within the database. You can add a very basic level of protection by hashing the password with sha1 before storing it in your database, not bulletproof by any means but far better than what you have now.
  3. Well, obviously all the new names and faces I can see are about but are any of the members of yester-year still around in their old age?
  4. Well at work we've been asked to blog a few times a week so the company appears more social. Should be able to keep a regular blog and get paid for the pleasure .
  5. I was going to write about casting to integers etc but I'm trying to keep it simple. Add it to the tutorial in the comments if you wish, might help someone using it .
  6. Just wrote this and thought I'd throw it up here, I know I'm not that active anymore but if I can help out in any way that's a plus . http://thisismedia.co.uk/ben/2011/03/preventing-sql-injection-in-ph/
  7. Just been out for a spin for a few hours, really enjoying driving. Little bit nerve-wracking at first. nerves soon faded though. Pretty nippy little bugger, ragged it off at the lights a few times without meaning to. Guess that's the difference between the petrol car I have and the diesel I was learning in. Bought some carpets for the front as the rubber was a bit slippy, a tape deck to 3.5mm audio jack adapter, an ice scraper and the obligatory tree air freshener .
  8. Oddly enough I wasn't massively excited about passing when I was taking lessons and thought all the pomp around passing your test was a little over the top. I think I've had more congratulations on passing my test than on graduating uni :S. Pretty excited today though, I love my job but needless to say works dragging a fair bit .
  9. Just got my first car, I passed my test last Friday with 4 minors and I viewed a car yesterday which I'm buying after work tomorrow, insurance is all sorted . Got myself a Fiesta 1.25i Zetec-S with an LX trim . £700 all in which I'm pretty happy about, insurance is £1400 mind with Monthly payments . I'm rather excited, feels like Christmas when I was a kid but I'm even more impatient.
  10. Dreamed in code yet?
  11. I guessed from the location and your name in your signature .
  12. Liking your dev-ee site BlueDreamer, nice clean layout and a brilliant structure .
  13. Liking your dev-ee site BlueDreamer, nice clean layout and a brilliant structure .
  14. Been working on an application framework recently, building one from scratch to suit the needs of the business I work for, based on an MVC architecture. I still like to get my hands messy with design from time to time though . Had any interesting projects lately?
  15. PHP self isn't secure, you can inject stuff into it if you know what you're doing. If you create a variable before you include the file then you can use it inside the included file as following. Main file $currentPage = $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']; if(stristr($currentPage, 'index') { $pageTitle = 'Index'; } include('header.php'); Include File <title><?php echo $pageTitle; ?></title>
  16. I was happily working away a few weeks ago and saw my colleague registering for an account here and it jogged my memory, thought I'd come and see all you fine folks and stick around for a bit and help with what I can. Seeing a lot of new names, not so many of the old - only seen Dizi and BlueDreamer so far! Still looks just as busy as it used to be here! I'll probably be between here and the server side scripting forums, I took a bit of a back seat from design to focus on development . Speaking of which, anybody else had a change in direction?
  17. I'm writing my own at the moment, based on a model view controller architecture. It's pretty lightweight and does only what we need it to do as a business. At my last employment we used the Zend framework, which I must admit I found to be needlessly lofty.
  18. Ensure that magic quotes is turned off in your PHP config, they're not as evil as everybody makes them out to be but it's easier to find problems if they're off as you won't get slashes being added and taken away seemingly "magically". Personally (among other things) I make my SQL queries safe (and avoid the headache with slashes) by using something similar to the following. Inserting to a database $dbVar = addslashes($var); Retrieving from a database echo stripslashes($dbVar); Try to limit what users can enter into forms too, lock it down where possible and never rely on client-side validation.
  19. What exactly do you want your script to do? If it's just a case of fetching prices from existing sources and then displaying them then that's pretty simple. However have you thought about the details? Are you storing it in a database after you've fetched it? Where are you getting the data from, is it from a HTML page (in which case you'll have to scrape it) or from an XML source? If you list everything you need it to do, in some detail then I'll be able to offer more assistance.
  20. I think the fact that websites serve a purpose dictates that they can't really be art, from a traditional standpoint anyway. Don't get me wrong, websites could be art, for example I think some of the things over at Zen Garden are art. Generally though I think art can be found in web design in the same way that it could be found in Engineering or Architecture.
  21. I love Lifehacker.com but I hate the use of the word hack with general everyday things! Either way I use Notesync which works alongside Google Docs for general things (films to watch etc) and a diary for anything in work. My desk at work also has a section of wall behind it well decorated with PostIt notes.
  22. Can't say I'm a massive fan but isn't Schumacher (probably spelt horribly wrong just there) racing this year? Should be interesting to see him compete against the new blood.
  23. Shouldn't that be teahee? Anyway I try to get to the gym a few nights a week but I'm out of the house for 11 hours with work and I'm usually a bit shattered by the time I get back. I walk from the bus stop to the train station in the morning though which is about 25 minutes.
  24. Once again in no particular order (and alternated with bold formatting to make it easier to read, I'm nice like that ). The Airborne Toxic Event - Self Titled Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti Bliss N Eso - Day of the Dog Ludovico Einaudi - Divenire Primal Scream - Riot City Blues Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip - Angles Godspeed You! Black Emporer - F# A# Infinity Life Without Buildings - Any Other City Pink Floyd - The Wall (2 disc live album) We Are Scientists - With Love and Squalor I'd also seriously, heavily recommend the following (my way of adding more than 10 really ) A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step The Beatles - Sgt Peppers (Mainly for Within You Without You) Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP Combichrist - Everybody Hates You The Libertines - The Libertines Machine Head - Supercharger Million Dead - Song to Ruin Ministry - Cover Up Muse - Origin of Symmetry (Before they got a bit ****) Ocean colour scene - Mosely Shoals The Prodigy - Fat of the land The Shizit - Soundtrack for the revolution Tool - Lateralus Oasis - What's the story Also Skidz.. Really? N-Dubz? Honestly? Out of all the albums ever made, N-Dubz? Dappy? Shame . Can't fault you on Original Pirate Material though .
  25. Does anybody know if it's possible to define a layer in Photoshop as a class? So for example if I change the layer style on a class layer all related layers styles change automatically instead of having to manually copy and paste the layer style to each class?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.