Everything posted by php_penguin
-
I aint'nt dead
Im not dead, just kinda busy and a little bit ill... I might post some tutorials soonish, but who knows? Speak soon my forumnite peeps!
-
Kayaking
Anyone else on the forum a kayaker? I have been kayaking for about 2 years now, doing white water stuff. Some videos of the rivers I run regularly can be found here: http://kayak.e2a.co.uk/ although that is probably boring for people who don't know how n00bish people are being on them
-
Epic PHP Problem!
Noooooooo!!! Mihai you fool! What you are doing is turning autoglobals on - if you google "PHP Autoglobals" you will find a few million blog posts on why they are bad. Don't follow Mihai's advice, unless you like having your scripts hax0rd
-
Another Record Breaking Day For WDF
consider this people : Sitepoint's record is only 4,793. Another year with this sort of growth (mwuahaha)
-
Surviving using only linux, open office and other free software... can you?
I do it, and I like having an extra grand in my bank from not paying for software.
-
Bye Bye for now....
3 days in you are going to get the shakes... if it gets really bad you'll start imitating the good ole modem noises, and maybe even resort to browsing the internet in GTA4 See you in a few weeks
-
How fast do you type?
75 words per minute for me...
-
GTA IV
Played this from about 10am till 9pm - quite a way into the game now The graphics are a bit poor, but also quite good - the draw distance is small, there is very noticeable pop-up in places, and occasionally frame-rate stutters... but also, the overall look is polished, the explosions are awesome, and the whole environment looks like a real place... The gameplay itself is amazing - as proven by my 11 hour session
-
New portfolio
http://www.richardlyon.co.uk/port2/ No content, animation can be a bit dodgy. The site is meant to be as close to flash as possible without using flash. Note the 1 second fade in at the start, and how my name is mostly hidden apart from during transitions. The header is a Peter de Jong image i generated using Fyre (*nix program), and will probably not be there in the final, nor will the pattern in the content boxes.
-
What is it?
you've got a strange dog if his poo is sticky... sellotape?
-
What is it?
Yep it's milk, although I admit it was tailored to make you think "jizz"
-
What is it?
Grass? It's white, creamy, and comes out of the orifice's of many animals
-
xpath search query
you are using single quotes instead of double quotes, these two will work: $prop = $xml->xpath("/root/property[id=$id]"); $prop = $xml->xpath('/root/property[id='.$id.']'); For simplicity's sake, you can change your XPATH to: $prop = $xml->xpath("//property[id=$id]");
-
Would you do it for money?
No way, I hate humid places... On a side note "no internet" and "lifetimes supply of everything you might ever need" are mutually exclusive... Would you watch the same episode of "The O.C" on repeat for 1 week for £480 (average weekly wage)
-
Would you do it for money?
My mum's a vegetarian, and she can give no reason for it (like "ooh but the poor ickle animals", so a big YES - and for free too! Would you let a person of the opposite gender preference chat you up if he kept buying you drinks?
-
You know you're freelance when...
You know you're a freelancer when nice and simple, and painfully true...
-
Is Hotmail your primary e-mail client?
I much prefer GMail for a number of reasons: - labels, these can be automatically applied and easy to set up, very useful for tracking "important" emails - search, the search function in GMail seems so much nicer than the Hotmail one, and faster too - iGoogle, my inbox is on my homepage, and works pretty well, whereas the hotmail igoogle gadget seems clunky. - aesthetics, the whole look of the thing is nicer. - AJAX, in small quantities, so if someone replies whilst you are still reading your email the page updates with this news, letting you know.
-
Would you do it for money?
Rob: you can die doing that (srsly)... and the thread starter said "nothing impossible" And, no I wouldn't do it. Would you never have caffeine again in your entire life for £10,000?
-
Which finger do you use…
I'm exactly the same as notbanksy.
-
Would you do it for money?
no, unless you give me a glove! Would you use a ball-mouse for a year for £100?
-
New record for users online at once!
lol WDF needs to make it's own convention - WDFCon ... and the first one can be held in celebration of hitting the 1000 mark.. When I say "convention" I actually mean "pub meet" lol
-
Open office vs MS Office
Lol it looks like Peter Molyneux and Bill Gates have traded places ... and if anyone else gets that, join me in wasting time until Fable 2
-
Non-chrome radio buttons without JS
i think it just fails in IE - you could use various hacks so that the radio inputs are not shifted leftways by 1000px when it's in IE
-
Non-chrome radio buttons without JS
those images were just the first thing I grabbed - if you were doing it with checkboxes and the statuses of users, you could use greyed out users for the unchecked and coloured users for the checked, and then have the user click update... or just use AJAX
-
Non-chrome radio buttons without JS
So I was sitting in the bath and thinking about web design (as you do). Anyway, I was wondering about radio buttons - the current options are "as the browser wants them" or "with JS". There must be a way to do it with CSS, yes? Well, to a certain extent there is. Here it is done with jQuery: http://www.richardlyon.co.uk/radio/label_js.html Nice and simple, works for every browser I can think of, and requires JavaScript enabled. Not too shabby. Anyway, I then tried to do it with CSS and here are a few facts: - the browser(FF) does not update the attributes from a CSS standpoint, so using "input[checked]" doesn't work - the browser(FF) *fixes* code like so, making descendant selectors unusable <input type='radio' id='myradio'><label for='myradio'>some text</label></input> - the browser(FF3) DOES allow the use of the :checked psuedo-class So here's the CSS link, and it definitely DOES NOT work in IE6 so don't bother telling me: http://www.richardlyon.co.uk/radio/label_css.html