Sign in to follow this  
davep

CPU always at 100%

win10 noticed a few days  ago  that my CPU is always at 100%. latest updates on win10.

nothing dodgy downloaded.

running panda AV and malwarebytes. scans show nothing.

close as many things as possible and nothing helps - apps/services continually swap places for most CPU used e.g. chrome will be at 50% for a couple of seconds then task manager  will take its  place.

starting in safemode - either  with the bare minumum or with the networking and other bits and then it's around 0—5% at idle.

tried installing avira av and uninstalled panda and scanned - still nothing.

really don't want to have to reinstall/refresh windows but guess it will be a final option :( 

took a quick video to show

I love these kinds of investigations.

Does it go back down when you kill Chrome or disable Chrome extensions?

Just for fun, you could do a quick scan with the trials of Hitman Pro or Zemana to get a second opinion malware scan, although they should be similar to Malwarebytes of course.

I personally use the paid version of Bitdefender. 

Patch My PC Home Updater or SUMo can check for outdated software.

An app like RealTemp can monitor the CPU temperatures in real time, if your CPU is supported.

The next large Windows 10 Update is rolling out on May 8, 2018 but will be available for manual download on 30 April, 2018.. 

Edited by Grant Barker

end tasking chrome - or anything else for that matter - doesn't make any difference, another process fills in the gap and total CPU remains constantly at 100%. 

i booted into safe mode and there it behaved normally i.e. 0% or just a few %

did a refresh of my pc yesterday and and deleted my files  (after backing  up of course) and let windows reinstall itself. check cpu  before installing anything and straightaway 100%... 

ran live versiob od linux mint off a usb  and checked cpu - normal between 0% and 20-40 when browsing etc.  

will try the hitman/zemana pro today sometime.

hitman pro found only tracking cookies - normal stuff and zemana found 5 chrome startup entries - i.e. my normal saved pinned tabs that i start my browser with :) so nothing out of the ordinary

Edited by davep

So, it's happy in safe mode when it's not using something..

I wonder if you can unplug and/or reconnect some USB cables and see if it helps to reset anything, in case there's a driver or handshake issue. I'd try updating all drivers, etc.

Sorry, I usually just go through a whole random list of trial and error type things until it gets found.

What made you originally notice that it was 100%?

Edited by Grant Barker

That's really odd! The symptoms sound like you've got some kind of cryptocoin mining malware running, but that shouldn't survive a reinstall.

You've probably tried this, but I presume that uninstalling Chrome and using another browser - like Firefox - makes no difference?

@Grant Barkertried removing all the usb cables and plugged them in different sockets - no difference. afaik all drivers are up to date - thought windows 10 was good at that now or is there  some way of updating  otherwise? note: use geforce experience to update my graphics card. is there some other way of  checking? device manager ??

originally noticed when i force quit something and thought it  was odd the cpu was mazing out.

@Rich C when i reinstalled windows, before installing anything else (av, chrome, firefox etc) i checked the cpu usage and sure enough it was 100% 

i just tested removing the network cable (i.e. removing internet access) to see  if ti made any difference and it's still  100%. all. the. time :) wonder whether it would make any difference doing a clean reinstall, wiping the drive first and then reinstalling windows??

takes so long to reinstall starcraft, overwatch, fortnite, creative  cloud, then setup sublime and ruby etc :( 

wonder whether it would make any difference doing a clean reinstall, wiping the drive first and then reinstalling windows??

I assumed that you had done a clean reinstall. I guess not. I only ever do a clean reinstall to be honest, unless trying the latest version before the ISO is made available. You can manually and cleanly install the latest Windows 10 from tomorrow. (You can also install a `lean' version of Windows 10 now, too.)

A few questions or thoughts come to mind..
Does it feel slow? Can you check the CPU temp to see how hard it's working? Is it old? Maybe it has been maxed out for ages and you never noticed for any obvious reason? When you play the usual games, do they play OK? Are any fans spinning like crazy to keep it cool (faster than usual for this time of year)? Did they seem slower in safe mode, etc.

GeForce Experience seems the way to go to update the GPU. However, sometimes there can be various issues with updating the GPU driver. Fortunately, we can uninstall and reinstall back dated drivers, especially if the issue arose around the time of a driver update. 

While you are up in the air, I'd do a clean Windows 10 install when the latest Windows 10 is made available for manual install tomorrow, sometime (April 30). See the bottom of this post. That way, you can guarantee that it wipes out any unwanted bits and pieces. At least that step will be another tick off the list of troubleshooting.

If that seems like too much work, try uninstalling the GeForce driver and replace it with an older one.

Edited by Grant Barker

sometimes it feels slow, though i just played starcraft 2 with no lag... CPU at 32 degrees - no heat issues. guess it might be a clean install then  ;)

so will this be  the reset this pc 'feature' but this  time i need to choose the wipe the drive option?  might try the geforce driver one more time i suppose but that never seems to cause problems ;)

specs: (using piriform speccy - lucky if i get my graphics card hot enough (above 50 degrees) to make its fans spin:) )

win 10 pro

i5 2300 (sandy bridge) @2.80 
RAM 8gb dd3 @665

mother board MSI p67a-c43

graphics GTX 960 (MSI)

SSD kingston 250gb 
Wedstern digital 2tb 

There's certainly no hurry if your CPU is only at 32 degrees when gaming. Although, I don't know so much about single threaded apps and games vs multi-threaded games.

Here's how to install the Windows 10 April 2018 Update on day one (Neowin.net)

this  time i need to choose the wipe the drive option?

Yes, first backup anything important to a removable drive (if possible) and then unplug it for safe keeping. 

Then wipe the Windows drive clean. A clean install.

Edited by Grant Barker

32 at idle, around 60 or so when gaming but nothing too high ever

so rather than using the tool isn't it the same as using this option? (except not using the insider updates...) 

btw could there be  a settings in my bios  i need to check?? (as far as the 100% cpu usage goes)

win10 install.jpg

Edited by davep

Yes, that option is OK to choose. However, I recommend you wait until the latest version of Windows is available in less than 24 hours or so, for that cleaner install.

I don't think you need to go into the bios at this stage.

Sorry, it's all hit and miss really.

(I'm off to bed.)

world-clock.png

Edited by Grant Barker

hmm just did a sull scan with avira - it finished and found a few instances of HTML/exp kit.gen2(trojan?!) and JS locky (ransomware ?) and then computer froze before i could do anything like moving them into quarantine. 

wondering whether to go for a format and reinstall or what?

Lol. Really? A full system scan should be near the beginning of all of these types of investigations, I think.
(eg. Press F3 on this computer maintenance page and search for `full system security scan'. I just made it red and bold now.)

If you can do a full system scan with a decent software (like the trial of Bitdefender) then it should hopefully remove the infected files. Try to remove all infections on your drives before reinstalling Windows. Or disconnect other drives and cleanly wipe the C drive and reinstall Windows and then install a decent security software before connecting back your other drives. Just to prevent you re-infecting a new install of Windows.

Upon a clean Windows install, the first thing I'd do (before connecting other drives) when going online is install the Bitdefender trial. We all have different ideas about these things, but Bitdefender is probably the best free security software, and the paid version arguably the best paid software. YouTube

I only mention Bitdefender again because if you do have an issue that Malwarebytes, Zemana and Hitman failed to find, then Bitdefender is a better option for you, and does better in tests.

Edited by Grant Barker

(It's good to remember to deactivate or sign out of paid apps like Adobe, Malwarebytes, etc. before a reinstall.)

(On the subject of security software, Bitdefender has a trial for 30 days, and then in the last couple of days they knock the price way down from $80 to $20. image

You could try installing the trial and see if it finds and removes any infected files. If it does, and the CPU problem gets fixed, then you can forget reinstalling Windows for now, if you don't want to.

Any suspicious files can always be uploaded to VirusTotal to find out if they are a known risk.

2 cents

Edited by Grant Barker

yeah but it takes so  long to do a full scan ;) i did half intend reinstalling windows anyway but yeah should have started with a scan :) will do a scan and then look at options from there like disconnecting other drive, wiping ssd then clean install and check again... thanks

2.5 hours into bit defender scan (89% progress, resolved items 97, unresolved items 0) and thought i would try out another resource monitor. from the screen  shot it seems  not to be 100% (windows  task manager  shows cpu  100% same as before ) obviously there is some cpu usage because bitdefender is scanning;)

cpu2.jpg

hmm couple of years ago downloaded a backup from a friend's server when their site went down and now bit defender finished it found 
Generic.JS.DownloaderK.ED71C137
and JS.TeslaCrypt.2.Gen for example 97 instances all in the same backup folder- removed them in bitdefender and deleted  the rest of that folder. 

1525102162_1_02.xml

That's a long scan! It's good that it's cleaning things up for you, though.

I was surprised to see that the Windows 10 April 2018 Update was available and downloading via Windows Update. Most people thought that it wouldn't do that until around May 8th. There are some nice changes I've noticed so far.
I'll do a clean install in a couple of days. I'm going back to bed.. it's 3:30am here, but I have a few days off and wanted to update my site!
Glad you are cleaning up your system. ?

You can also try the resource monitor CAM. (I added it to my Tools for Windows page.)

winver-half.png

just  installed CAM and it shows around 16% CPU  usage compared to task manager's 100%... hmm maybe no need to reinstall anymore. downloading win10 april update now... 

everything ok -  found another virus, but this  time it was flu, in me :) april update done and so far no problems. well ok still 100% in task manager but not in any other cpu monitor. guess bios might be  worth a look at somepoint, maybe one of the previous windows updates meant my cpu activity was being misread by windows. thanks anyway for the help