May 16, 201412 yr I've been learning web design for about 3 months, mostly HTML & CSS but lately I have been trying to improve my design skills. I've been watching a few videos here and there about graphic design fundamentals and also looking at dribbble designs daily. The first design was made about 2 months ago in the browser. The second is a mockup I made in Sketch (so I'll need to code it). With the second one I want to make the players name appear when you mouse over the picture. It's by no means a final design because I'm sure I'll get better at this over time and make a few iterations. Before: http://i.imgur.com/IbAs3YW.jpg After: http://i.imgur.com/PFcxa3D.jpg Also do you know any books or resources that will help improve my design skills?
May 17, 201412 yr Your second version looks much better, suggest removing the shadow from around the player info to make allow space for it to breath. I suggest you get into the HTML/CSS as soon as possible to turn your designs into fully working things.
May 19, 201412 yr Author Your second version looks much better, suggest removing the shadow from around the player info to make allow space for it to breath. I suggest you get into the HTML/CSS as soon as possible to turn your designs into fully working things. Thanks for the idea, i'll make the change soon and yes my next step will be making it into a webpage.
May 19, 201412 yr You should work on perfecting the basics first then you would be able to improve quickly. You can find many helpful website online which teach you basics and help you improve your design skills.
May 19, 201412 yr For a quick and simple answer, yes, you've improved. Before looked like a site from 1996, and while the after isn't quite up to todays modern standards, you're leaps and bounds from where you were. As for materials, books on website design are going to become quickly outdated. Why not take inspiration from awwwards.com or something, then use the google code browser in chrome to see how different people are doing different things. You'll soon learn what you can and can't do just yet and improve massively. Edited May 19, 201412 yr by WilliamsGraphics
July 3, 201412 yr Author Here's my latest effort, I'm trying to do a little design work everyday and also some coding too. https://www.behance.net/gallery/18080299/Unsolicited-Redesign
July 5, 201412 yr LakeRat has somehow helped me as well.Your designs are really good. For refining skills you should read 1st web designer blog and get tutorial from lynda.com.
July 6, 201412 yr Here's my latest effort, I'm trying to do a little design work everyday and also some coding too. https://www.behance.net/gallery/18080299/Unsolicited-Redesign I like this a lot! It's really neat, class and almost looks like any pro design. A few tweeks here and there and you're good!
July 6, 201412 yr Author I like this a lot! It's really neat, class and almost looks like any pro design. A few tweeks here and there and you're good! Thanks, I'm very happy with this design, it's a world apart from where I started. Just gotta keep practising and hopefully good things will come. Sketch is such a an easy tool to work with
July 7, 201412 yr Here's my latest effort, I'm trying to do a little design work everyday and also some coding too. https://www.behance.net/gallery/18080299/Unsolicited-Redesign If you're re-designing it, you don't need to credit the original designer/ developer.
July 22, 201412 yr Author My latest effort. https://www.behance.net/gallery/18518277/Github-page-redesign
August 5, 201412 yr Author Another new one https://www.behance.net/gallery/18778567/Spartan-Fitness-(Concept)
August 7, 201412 yr Looking good, from what I've seen you are definitely improving Edited August 7, 201412 yr by Matthew :: TekHive Hosting
August 7, 201412 yr Author Looking good, from what I've seen you are definitely improving Thanks Matthew I made another design yesterday (2 colour variations), I personally think it's my best yet. http://imgur.com/GIVg0Bs - For a acquaintance http://imgur.com/68Tpfaz - For me Regards, Marcus Edited August 7, 201412 yr by mug2k
December 31, 201510 yr Author Oh man I completely forgot about this thread. I've been pretty busy since and have managed to carve out a career for myself doing freelance UI design. I had no marketable skills 18 months ago and basically started from nothing, now I'm doing something I love and can see a bright future. I pretty much wasted the previous decade and got nowhere so learning design created a future for me, taking this path was the best decision I've ever made. Here's a look at my progress so far, I hope 2016 will bring as much improvement as 2014-2015. 2014 - http://imgur.com/a/GqTQq (really horrible stuff) 2015 Jan to Jun - http://imgur.com/a/qqJ5J 2015 Jul to Dec -http://imgur.com/a/GcZSaI have my own portfolio toohttp://www.marcushanda.comI never got round to learning HTML/CSS past the utter basics, I'll get to it one day........maybe Edited December 31, 201510 yr by mug2k
January 1, 201610 yr The most important thing is you need to follow new web design trends, In this way your skills also enhance and you could learn in more better way.
Create an account or sign in to comment